TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

^Dude, I one time asked the guy at Target where the Ihomes were, and he gave me a F-ing radio! Then I got to wait twenty minutes while he got one from storage.

Haha that sounds like some of the employees at my Target. It couldn't have been me though because I'm good at my job.

The lyrics of today's music.

Now, notice I didn't say "rap". Some rap I like because of the beat, while I despise the lyrics.

Can we not be so degrading towards women?

And actually make a song worthwile?

Soulja Boy -- STUPIDEST rapper ever. I cannot express how stupid his "music" is, and yes, he DID kill hip-hop (although it was struggling to survive before.)

Let's look at some of today's lyrics, shall we?

Super man that hoe

Then watch me crank that Robocop

I'm jocking on your bitch ass

And if we get the fighting

Then I'm cocking on your bitch ass

Sexy can I, visit you at work

When you sliding down the pole,

no panties, no shirt.

Then you climb back up the pole,

then you drop and do the splits.

How you make that booty talk,

Baby damn, ???

I get her on top she drop it like it hot and when im at the bottom she Hilary Rodham then we in the bed givin gettin head ( givin gettin head givin gettin head ) said mmmm i like that said mmmm i like that i said mmmm i like that yea i like that mmm mmmmm Call me so i can come and do it fo ya Call me so i can come and prove it fo ya Call me so i can make it juicy fo ya Call me so i can get it juicy fo ya Shawty wanna li li li li lick me like a lollipop

This is DISGUSTING.

Soulja Boy didn't kill hip hop. That song is dumb, but it's intentionally dumb, and it spawned a popular dance, and had people talking about it. He was like 16-17 when he wrote that, and he had a hit record. I don't see what he did as being any worse than the Jonas Brothers are doing.

Hip hop isn't dead, if you think hip hop is dead/dumb, stop listening to mainstream shit. Go listen to Nas, or Pharoah Monch, or Common, or Talib, or Mos Def, etc. Pick up "Da Drought 3" if you want to hear Lil Wayne at his best (NOT "Lollipop").

I don't see what he did as being any worse than the Jonas Brothers are doing.

I have to disagree with that.

Soulja Boy is about sex and treating a woman like she's a "stupid bitch" and doing whatever sexual desire he wants.

While Jonas Brothers are Disney (is that right?), I believe that their lyrics at least have some sort of brain involved.

And they have a positive message. Even if their music isn't that great, who cares. They aren't hurting anyone. Soulja Boy, on the other hand, is very degrading towards woman, and says the stupidest sh*t. Did you watch that video of him responding to Ice-T? I can't count how many times I heard the word "nigga" in that. And that whole video was stupid. Soulja Boy wouldn't know music if it smacked him across the face and knocked some sense into the tiny brain of his.

^ Yeah, like Ice T's initial message telling Soulja Boy to "eat a dick" was the classiest thing in the world.

Anyone who wants to claim hip-hop is misogynistic, go listen to "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones, or Rod Stewart's early stuff, or countless other rock bands. How come they get a pass? These themes have existed in whatever genre is the anti-establishment style of the decade.

Wes wrote:

I don't see what he did as being any worse than the Jonas Brothers are doing.

I think the Naked Brothers Band is even worse. I mean they're on Nickalodian and they have a song called I don't wanna go to school. What kind of message are they sending to little kids watching tv? It's just crazy in my opinion.

I would think that the "smartestcoasterkidever!" would know how to change the channel.

I don't like 99% of the country music crap out there that I've heard bits and pieces of. How on earth do I deal with that dilemma? I don't listen to the country music radio station, or watch CMT. Problem solved.

If you don't like rap, or the silly fueds that arise from it, then don't listen to or watch any of it.

I would think that the "smartestcoasterkidever!" would know how to change the channel.

I don't like 99% of the country music crap out there that I've heard bits and pieces of. How on earth do I deal with that dilemma? I don't listen to the country music radio station, or watch CMT. Problem solved.

If you don't like rap, or the silly fueds that arise from it, then don't listen to or watch any of it.

Ok I was saying in general for all the little kids. Not me

Agreed!

And also, in regards to rap music, if the only rap music you listen to is on the radio, then of course you aren't going to like it. The lyrics for a lot of mainstream rap music is painful, to say the least. I am not a big fan of rap, but I have heard some that is really good. Roots Roots Manuva for example, or Sixtoo are great!

I remember when MTV actually played nothing but music videos. Imagine that. VH1 is no better; but then that's why I stopped watching them. I don't feel the need to watch kids (and d-list adults) with problems showing off and acting up on TV, when they should be speaking to their shrink in private.

To me, the quality of everything, including music has gone way down. Everything is based on looks instead of talent--and this is worldwide! Did you hear about the little Chinese girl lip syncing at the Olympics Opening Ceremony? They said the girl that actually sang, who had chubby cheeks and messed up teeth, didn't have the look to be on stage, so she got relegated. So they let the girl do a Olympic version of Zelma Davis (look it up) and the organizers thought it was ok! And look at a good percentage of "stars" these days; they look good on camera, but can't sing to save their lives! Rhianna? Heck no! She looks like a deer caught in the headlights on all her pics too! And none of them can hold a note without sounding like the are singing on a rickety wooden coaster or shaking their tonsils violently.

No wonder there's a disproportionate amount of oldies and jazz on my iPod.

On the subject of rap, it's been around for decades and when it was being played on R&B radio, it was more about DJ's bragging about themselves or telling funny stories, or just being silly. My favorite song, "Apache", was by the Sugar Hill Gang. In my opinion, now it's just ignorant rantings that need to be ignored... they aren't really saying anything.

But as with most music, people are going to write about their experiences. So now you're going to hear about gang-banging and treating women as objects. You can hear the lack of hope in the music, and that's a sad thing. If you saw any of the "Black in America" programming on CNN, a lot of men think that options such as a good education or career is not available to them, and don't really hear about it until they get locked up. But you don't want to wait until things get bad before you try to solve a problem; but that's the issue with a lot of things in America. They could use rap as a vehicle to tell of their problems, but I don't hear that now. And Bucket has a point, but not only about rap; there are some good music out there, but those are the good, but unmarketable artists. I found some R&B, Jazz, Pop, and ambient albums that were pretty good but never marketed. I think this music may be a bit to "smart" for the average buyer. Uneducated people tend to make the most purchases, at least in my opinion.

Personally I think the music companies need to be (and should have been) a bit more responsible they try to push to the public. They were more than happy to push it back into the ghetto to collect those coins; but by time it crossed over and got glorified, it was too late.

But I agree with Beemerboy on the subject, don't feed that nonsense with your attention. If there's no interest in that type of music, they won't produce it. Same with the overabundance of reality tv shows, although it looks like they're running out of ideas and have to look at crazy shows from other countries that are more wacky game shows than people with problems.

Terry

There is a ton of amazing music out there that you will never, ever hear on the radio or be able to buy at WalMart or Best Buy. If you're willing to do some searching, you can fine all sorts of amazing musicians working today, recording amazing music that will never be covered by mainstream media.

If you like rock with amusing/thought provoking lyrics and amazing guitar playing, I have two words for you: Freak Kitchen. You can thank me later...

dt

I dont listen to it. I DO change the channel. My mother is in control of the

music when we are driving, and she listens to it. Sometimes I have to. And how do you know you hate country? Its the same for me, just rap music.

And I even asked the title fairy to change my title to somethin like "I'm the biggest case of irony" because I'm not *THAT* smart, and I have my moments. I AM blonde

And how do you know you hate country?

Umm, my ears tell me. I said I don't care for 99% of what's out there. That leaves a small percentage of stuff that I'm cool with. Some of Alan Jackson's and Johnny Cash's stuff happens to fall into that category (there are others as well). But like I eluded to, it's very easy to ignore the stuff that's otherwise garbage to my ears. I just avoid it.

Umm, my ears tell me. I said I don't care for 99% of what's out there. That leaves a small percentage of stuff that I'm cool with. Some of Alan Jackson's and Johnny Cash's stuff happens to fall into that category (there are others as well). But like I eluded to, it's very easy to ignore the stuff that's otherwise garbage to my ears. I just avoid it.

There is some country music that I will listen to; I used to work in a music store during college so we had to tolerate different types of music. Rap music was only played when there was a clean version of the album the reps provided... but they rarely did that. Most of the time the rap promos went to the assistant manager so he could hock it for cash down the street at the used record store.

I used to hate when someone came into the store and tried to sing a song because they didn't know the name and expected you to know it. If you actually sang it on key I might have been able to figure it out. Or how about the customer that asked you about a song and you know the album it came off of and they tried to argue with you, thinking you had it wrong? I even had the album at home and he still didn't believe me! I put the album on and blared it through the store and embarrassed him. "That will be $12.99 please."

Terry

I swear to freaking God that Andy doesn't know what a paragraph is!!!

How the HELL am I supposed to type up his letters when he doesn't use correct grammar? I'm not his freaking Mum I shouldn't be correcting the work of a 30 year old freaking CAPTAIN in the Army! Jeesh no wonder the Army is in crap state...

I feel better now