TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

^ Oh, believe me, I did. But yesterday, it all got cleared up, and there's no problem anymore. Whew.

Right, my rant: I was going to work on the essay my English class did on Friday (I had a theatre festival that day and missed it) this morning, but it turns out we have to have a packet with the prompt. Dammit, more homework for tonight.

I really wish people from other countries would research proper tipping procedures for the United States before visiting and going to a restaurant. I work at Outback on I-Drive, which basically means that the majority of my tables are foreigners. And while most of them are very friendly and it's usually a pleasant experience to wait on them, they typically tip 10% at the very most. It's even to the point where some people leave less than 5%. And these are people who compliment me on my service and say they enjoyed their food!

Now I know in a lot of cultures, the tip is either included in the bill or the servers get paid more for their base rate, so tipping 15-20% isn't customary. However, NOT EVERY COUNTRY IS ALIKE! If I'm going overseas (or anywhere international), you bet your ass I'm going to make sure I know what tipping practices are like in that country. For one, I could end up costing myself a lot of money if I over-tip, and two, I could make myself and everyone from the U.S. look like a jackass if I tip nothing because I assumed the tip was included. That's how stereotypes get formed. Google is available everywhere on the internet last time I checked, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to do a search and figure out what an acceptable tip is in whichever country you're going to.

So I plead to all the international members of TPR, do your research! If you are coming to the States and plan on dining out (which I'm sure you will), tip 15-20% if you think the service was good! Servers make hardly anything hourly and depend on those tips to make money, and the tip is never included unless you have a large party!

Rant complete.

^ It's better to have loved then lost than never to have loved at all. I'm still looking for my first girlfriend. What's worse is that I've had chances but I've blown them by not talking to them. And right when I decided to make a move and ask this one girl out, I found out she was moving to Arizona. She was gorgeous and athletic too. I feel like I have a shot with this one girl in one of my classes, but I have some competition with a jealous guy who accused me of sexually harrassing her. He's lucky I'm mostly a pacifist because I could pick him up and body slam him. Why does it seem like girls are easy to get for everybody EXCEPT me?

The roads are already a hazard via the weather conditions, but apparently that wasn't enough as I had to swerve/slide/dodge a fricken vacuum cleaner (which was positioned ever so neatly in the middle of the right lane on the highway) on my way to work. Mind you it was 8pm; dark as hell and since I was coming around the bend, I almost didn't see it in time...damn vacuum cleaner.

Middle school/freshman girls need to stop dragging upperclassmen into futile drama. I didn't think it was even possible to be considered less mature than a freshman... Seriously. If you're in this demographic, please, leave us alone! And for god's sake, we know more about how things work than you do, don't argue with us! You're wrong!

^ It's better to have loved then lost than never to have loved at all. I'm still looking for my first girlfriend. What's worse is that I've had chances but I've blown them by not talking to them. And right when I decided to make a move and ask this one girl out, I found out she was moving to Arizona. She was gorgeous and athletic too. I feel like I have a shot with this one girl in one of my classes, but I have some competition with a jealous guy who accused me of sexually harrassing her. He's lucky I'm mostly a pacifist because I could pick him up and body slam him. Why does it seem like girls are easy to get for everybody EXCEPT me?

Your first sentence is completely insensitive. To a person who didn't go out with someone for years because of the fear of getting hurt and then when I finally do the asshole cheats on me the entire six months we are together. Even though I am still with someone now that wound never fully heals. So unless you know how it feels don't say shit like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I REALLY hate my statics textbook. It goes over the basics on how to do the mechanics problems, and then the homework problems given are incredibly hard with the lesson barely explaining how to solve them. Even my professor has complained how it's more of a reference book than a book to teach first-time learners.

People and their over-inflated egos. Not saying I can't get that way from time to time, because I know I can, but at least I'll try to show some humility afterwards and recognize that I was being a bit of a moron. Others...nope, just that *I'm always right* mentality, all the time, no changes, no exceptions. And sure, maybe you are right in some cases, but you don't need to be a jerk about it. Just chill out.

Yeesh.

^ I can have that same rant right now. My friend is really ticking me off. Not so much as gloating, but not realizing how inflated their ego is, and instead going about their lives as if they aren't causing problems... If you steal my girl, at least have the sensitivity to not go on about it every time I see you, and tweet to her 5 times a day, or make out with each other when I'm in the room... It's that type of jerk that isn't up front about it that makes you even MORE of a jerk... And what can I do about it? Nothing. Any words said about it will cause the blame to go on me since apparently being up front when a person wrongs you is worse than cowering away from the problem..

Realizing if you didn't buy so many gizmos you could have been on several TPR trips already.....

I hear ya. I've developed some hindsight regarding my past spending, and I wish I'd learned earlier to be a serious saver. Maybe not to the level of creating an emergency fund or long-term savings, but at least saving for something reasonably major like travel. In the past, even if I did "save" it was never for anything more than new electronics.

Grrr.

Every Tuesday this (now) happens!

I start lunch up for us, and then remember

I was supposed to get (close by)

$1 Day-Pizza Slices today! Three of them, actually.

But - I can't seem to remember...

Grrr.

I take the bus home everyday from school, and there is a shop where you can get gags/candy/etc. I go there alot because I have a sweet tooth, but there are these idiots who got POPPERS that you throw on the ground to make noise. They buy 4 packs at a time, and throw them on the ground while waiting for the bus to come. The bus stop is right outside a mortgage firm, and the people who work there have gotten mad at them for making noise. Yesterday, they came out and said that they got our pictures, and they were going to call our parents, and a woman even took a picture of us while she walked across the street to Starbucks. Even after that, the idiots are still playing with the poppers. FML.

If you have small children please be considerate of others when you bring them in public. If your ~1 year old is going to sit in his high chair screaming, kicking, crying, laughing loudly NON STOP for an hour while your 3-4 year old screams EVERY single thought that pops into her mind as loud as she can while throwing fries, pouring salt/sugar on the table, spitting out food she doesn't like and leaving it directly on the table and you aren't going to do anything to calm either one of them down....EAT AT HOME. The guests sitting a tables near you do not want that kind of experience when they eat out and you server is still very bitter you left that big of a mess for him to clean up with barely any tip.

In one miserable week...

Huge Algebra 2 Trig Test

AP World History 3 Chapters in One Test

Chemistry Test

English Mural Project

English 8+ page research paper

And not to mention that same English teacher made a comment to another class behind my back that had disgusting sexual connotations about me. and that's not the first time he's done something to me or many others that I qualify as harassment...I seriously question why the petition to have him fired a few years back failed, even when another TEACHER was backing the students.

Needless to say I had a crappy week.