TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

BBW had always interested me more than any of the other coasters at BGW. I always viewed it as a unique, quality ride that you can't find hardly anywhere else.

Plus, I'm a fan of the suspended genre. I really hope a modern company picks up the concept again and improves on it.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the grand scheme of the rollercoaster world it wasnt that great but for the mid atlantic region it was. As someone who grew up with the coaster and watched my younger siblings grow up with the coaster it was sad to see it go. It fit well with the other coasters until Griffon came and destroyed the atmosphere of the park. Just because a ride doesn't make top 25 or 100 on mitch hawkers doesn't make it a bad ride.

I remember as a kid fearing that there was really a wolf back their lurking around the coaster and dont let the ride break down on second or third lift I would almost shit myself. No other ride was able to do that to me except for tower of terror in Fla.

sorry but i dont agree with the thread title.

Unfortunately, as this was the first year I got a chance to visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg, I never got a chance to ride Big Bad Wolf. I have been on both Ninja and Iron Dragon, so I have a general idea for the feel of a suspended roller coaster. Based on those rides and the videos I've seen of Big Bad Wolf, it looks like the type of ride that I would probably ride once and then not bother with again unless it had a 15 minute wait or less. It looks like a good ride, but nothing special.

As for the replacement coaster, if it is anything like Cheetah Hunt I'll definitely be looking forward to it next time I visit the park. I don't mind rides being torn down when an equal or better ride replaces it, and any custom multi-launch coaster will probably be better than an old Arrow suspended coaster. I just hope that if the new launch coaster is not family friendly, the next one will be, as that is one type of coaster BGW currently lacks.

They're not enthusiasts, just regular people.

Exactly. And it's the regular people who WERE NOT giving BBW much ridership all those years and it's the enthusiasts who WERE NOT ranking the coaster very highly.

So where is the argument here?

--Robb "A park looks at both of these things when they consider which rides to retire." Alvey

Robb, in most of the times I visited the park, I saw 45 minute wait times for the coaster. There were a handful of times that I saw short lines. (Once, they shut the park down completely due to torrential rains... as in "tell everyone to go home" shut down, not "the rides will be back up in thirty minutes to an hour." BBW's line that day was nonexistent, and the ride ops called it "Big Bad Sea Wolf!") So I don't know about these short lines... it always was busy for me. Most trips were in early June for me, when KD and BGW went to daily operations.

I love terrain coasters, and for me, BBW was unique in my experience. For me, it was a high point of the trips I took. Alpengeist was very uncomfortable for me, and I only managed to ride Griffon once. So, for someone of my tastes, losing it is bad. Agreed, maintenance would have eventually forced it to close.

It all boils down to personal taste, I guess. I loved BBW for what it was... I even loved the part before the 1st lift hill. But I love terrain coasters and speeding in the treetops. Was it in everyone's top 100? Nope, or just barely. But it was in my top 5, always.

Does my opinion matter? It does to me. Does your opinion matter? Definitely, especially to yourself and the community at large. Which counts more? Depends on who's counting. What you see as flaws may be benefits to me... I liked the strong brake run in the middle. It gave me a chance to catch my breath and get ready for the plunge ahead.

I don't hate BGW, and I WILL be back. It may take awhile, but I will return to my favorite park. I will be sad to see BBW gone, but I have faith that whatever takes that spot will be well worth it. And as a note... BBW was blocking them from using a huge chunk of land for expansion. Now, BGW will become much larger in the years ahead.

One last thing... I have heard of a wedding that took place on BBW. The train was stopped at the MCBR for the ceremony and then they "took the plunge." May or may not be true, but my source was upper level employees at BGW.

Wolf was an interesting one

Compared to eagles fortress? Yeah, no contest, The fortress of F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***F***! kicked the crap out of it

However, The end of the ride, that mad-drop over the river into some wild-mouse-like laterals, absurd banking, and wild swinging leading into that final, anticlimactic turn to the breaks? Quite possibly the most fun element of any suspended ever

i always rated it very highly, but it was a very overshadowed ride in it's final years, especially once griffon was added to the mix

Though, that's not to say i wouldn't love to see a "Modernized" Version of it pop in

Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

IN IT'S FINAL YEAR!!!

Where were all those people from like 1996 to 2008? I think I probably visited the park about 25 times between those years and I don't think I ever waited more than about 15 minutes for Big Bad Wolf. And usually, it was a walk-on.

If they thought it was so great, why did they wait to come visit until it was about to go away?

--Robb

Don't forget Robb,DF was still running back in 96/97 so that gave people other options...if it weren't for the invention of the invert then the suspended coasters would probably still be in production but B&M & vekoma pretty much killed that.

The loss of the BBW wasn't about some impressive coaster going away before its time, it was about a coaster that for many people was their first coaster ever. Mine included. Sure before it was announced it was going away, people weren't traveling hours and hours to go ride it but people knew it was there and cherished it when they rode it. It is all about that feeling of losing something that was important to you and knowing you can't see or ride that something special can make someone sad. The people who say it was a great coaster I'm sure, mean that BBW meant a lot to them more so than it was a world class coaster. BBW was just history and memories for many people. That is why it will always be missed.

I have only been on 5 suspended coasters in my life and I rank them like this...

The Bat (KI) - was 9yrs old when it opened and it was an absolutely insane ride.

Big Bad Wolf (BGE) - to me a solid fun ride from start to finish.

Ninja (SFMM) - way more exiting than I ever thought it would be.

Top Gun (KI) - fast and fun but way to short, some Vampire cars would be nice to see on this coaster.

Iron Wolf (CP) - affectionately called The Cedar Point Suspended Monorail by me and my friends.

EDIT: ^ opps, I am always mixing the name of Iron Dragon and Iron Wolf. Sorry.

I have only seen POV's of others around the North America and the rest of world and POV's just can't convey how truly exiting a coaster is so I have to limit my choices to what I have been on and Big Bad Wolf wins hands down over the other three still operating. Have to say Ninja really surprised me when I finally got the chance to ride it last spring after BAB but it still didn't pull in front of Big Bad Wolf. So yes to me losing it was a sad day. I know it never really ranked high in the coaster poll but I think if the coaster poll results were separated by types of coaster and not just steel and wood Big Bad Wolf would have been high on the short list of suspended coasters all the way up to it's removal.

A note about The Bat while I was still very young when it closed (12yrs old) it still left a very strong memory of it in my head. When Paramount announced many years ago that they were going to build a new suspended coaster at PKI I had very high hopes for what was coming only for the reality of what showed up to be just as high of a disappointment. I was really looking for Arrow and KI to get together and rebuild The Bat. The technology was there to do it and do right this time. What a shame it didn't happen.

Edited by dmaxsba2408

Suspended coasters are a dying breed and all of them will soon be removed, but that dosen't mean something isn't going to replace it. And if BBW's replacement is an Intamin LSM Launcher like Cheetah Hunt then thats awesome and i don't think it will matter if BBW was gone in the first place...but if Vortex @ Canada's Wonderland was removed, well...

Big Bad Wolf was a great ride, especially in a park with only five, now four roller coasters, so it had a greater impact when it was removed. I loved Big Bad Wolf mainly because it was the only roller coaster my whole family would ride so I rode it the most when I went to Busch Gardens. The theming was great, the ride was really fun, and the final plunge was spectacular. I really do think its removal had more of an impact because it removed the parks only "Family" roller coaster, and brought the coaster count down to four.

That is not to say I am excited for a probably better roller coaster to take its place, I just had nice memories of Big Bad Wolf and was sad to see it leave. Maybe I've just always been a fan of those terrain hugging Arrow suspended coasters.

Iron Wolf (CP) - affectionately called The Cedar Point Suspended Monorail by me and my friends.

I guess you mean Iron Dragon, which I affectionateally call "Draggin Iron," or Time Bomb, since it's probably going to be the next coaster removed, especially when it sits near Mantis, Millie, and Wildcat.

I think the ride has a top speed of 40mph. It's the slowest damn 40mph in the world.

On your note of the rankings, I guess Ninja is the best of the rest now. Considering how fast Ninja goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the track is cracking and the ride is having a lion's share of maintenance issues at SFMM. It'll either be the next to go, or face a Vampire-level facelift, which would really be cool for that ride, providing the trains give a smooth ride.

Also, do you think the Wolf's replacement will get by with a 42" hight requirement? I can see it going to 46 or 48 inches. If it's a Mack, it might even hit 50.

Well I am PROUD to say that I LOVED Big Bad Wolf and I think this thread is very disrepectful. It was the reason I went to Busch gardens and was always the first and last ride I would ride at the park. All the other rides at the park are great also but I truely loved everything about the wolf...especially that it was the brainchild of Anton.

Of course I am unique, judging by the theme of my Amusement Attic thread I am partial to the coasters of the 70's & 80's especially Arrow Suspended coasters. I hope Ninja will remain around as well as the two models from KI and CW.

I think we should all take a moment to reflect on the Magesty of the Big Bad Wolf and all of those that have disrespected it should get inot that confessional and confess your transgressions against the love child of Anton & Ron.

Shane ..."if this coaster is a swinging, don't come a dinging"... Huish

I'm so glad I got the chance to ride BBW. I really don't think any coaster will ever have anything comparable to that final turn over the Rhine. And the drop right before the turn totally had airtime if I remember correctly. Shame S&S doesn't seem to be building any more of these.

I think I know why the title of this forum has been "Theme parks, roller coasters, and SHEESH!" Now.

Haven't made it to BGE yet, but BBW looked like fun, especially since I think Flight Deck/Top Gun is a pretty bad ass ride. Iron Dragon, on the other hand, not so bad ass. More...mellow and timid.

I agree with many of you.. I understand that they removed it because of maintenance issues but I wonder why there is even a thread discussing if it was that amazing? Who cares? Hersheypark could remove the Trailblazer and I'd personally still miss being able to take a ride on it whenever I'm there. Same thing with the High Speed Thrill Coaster! It's not about Top 100 lists for me and hopefully most of you out there. If it is.. I feel bad for you.

"Considering how fast Ninja goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the track is cracking and the ride is having a lion's share of maintenance issues at SFMM. It'll either be the next to go, or face a Vampire-level facelift, which would really be cool for that ride, providing the trains give a smooth ride." (PayneTrain)

I've been concerned about Ninja in that sense as well, but at the last WCB, Jay said they were planning to keep it. Of course, Jay is no longer at SFMM, so anything goes now. If I'm not mistaken, Ninja only has two of its original four trains running now; the other two having been used for parts or just plain worn out. I always thought the Vampire trains would greatly improve Ninja, and hope that the park considers it. But we also have to remember that Ninja is close to 23 years old.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to ride Big Bad Wolf, but that particular ride isn't where my concern is---it's the fact that there are already not many suspended coasters left. For me, this is a type of ride that truly gives a unique experience.

No doubt there will be something new and exciting in Wolf's old spot.

Eric

BBW is/was not amazing judged against what we have today -- nothing is or ever will be. It's simply an unfair assessment to make. I think the word "amazing" is being applied in a retrospective manner versus a comparison to current coasters.

Is an Intamin giant drop better than a first gen Free Fall? Is a modern launch coaster better than the original Schwarzkopf shuttle loop? Of course. Any modern ride will always be judged better than things built 20 years ago. It applies to everything. First gen Free Falls were "amazing" in my book (the first ride I remember scaring the crap out of me the first time I rode it) but they certainly aren't "amazing" compared to the towers of today.

IMHO, this whole thing is less about BBW being amazing than it is about BBW being unique. Yes, EF was a better suspended, but really, how many average people would make the trek to South Korea to experience that? Not exactly your standard family vacation (unless you're Robb ).

What really sucks about BBW being gone is that it's a piece of history lost. Arrow suspended were cutting edge in their day and sooner or later all we'll have to remember them by are pictures and memories.

What's more disappointing about BBW going away is that something not-so-unique will probably replace it. Will we get another B&M? Let's face it, B&Ms (any flavor) are getting cliche. They're everywhere and they are all offer just about the same experience.

About the only thing they could put in and be worthwhile is a 4th Dimension and we all know the probability of that happening.

So -- BBW was not amazing. Ninja is not amazing. Iron Dragon is seriously not amazing. However, Arrow suspended coasters are a rapidly vanishing breed. And while not the most "amazing" rides on the planet, Arrow suspendeds were cutting edge for their day. BBW would have been worth keeping around for future generations to enjoy.

Edited by RandyV

Rather than arguing over whether more people have fond memories of Eagle's Fortress or Big Bad Wolf, or memories at all, because that's purely subjective due to popularity and size, a better group to poll here would be people who have memories of BOTH, which is much smaller. Saying people weren't upset when Eagle's Fortress was removed is ignorant and stupid - who knows, there might be a South Korean coaster enthusiast group discussing the removal of Eagle's Fortress and remarking about the lack of fondness for that "other" doomed Suspended, Big Bad Wolf.

Personally, I don't really see what there is to argue here. Some people really liked BBW, some were just sad to see it go, and a lot were completely impartial.

I didn't think there was TOO massive an outpouring of people overly-sensationalizing BBW,it seemed like maybe only 20 or less members here posted things that arguably went overboard. However many of those people who voted were probably lost in the hundreds of other voters in Mitch's poll.

Posts here represent personal opinion, and things like ridership and Mitch's poll represent public opinion. The two don't somehow invalidate the other. It only takes a handful of posts to seem like a majority, but the same amount of people in a line or on the poll are nothing. I didn't pay much attention to the BBW thread, but it seems to me that the people who posted there probably weren't the ones who voted it into the 110th place on the poll.

I find it reprehensible that the owners and other posters of this website post and post in a thread bashing a historic roller coaster that meant a lot to the community as a whole. For a website called Theme Park Review to poke fun at a historic piece of industry that this website is supposedly about is pure blasphemy. Shouldnt you people be celebrating this ride instead of stirring up trouble? This is what separates ACE and other positive groups from Theme Park Review. The fact they go to great lengths to celebrate and commemorate these coasters while representing the industry nationally is a blessing; the fact I continue to see bashing of various theme parks and rides on this site is very, very unfortunate.

^ Robb simply started a discussion so people could discuss why or why they weren't sad when BBW was removed. He didn't "Bash" the ride, just merely explaining why he didn't care when BBW was removed.

I also think you should read the disclaimer on the bottom of the page