TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

I rode BBW in 2003 and I faintly remember it.

If it were still here, it would be my least favorite coaster there, (apart from maybe Loch Ness). The most I remember of BBW is the adults I were with complaining about it being very rough. The only people who say the park is dead and they would never visit it again are the people who have memories, and the wanna-be's who want attention so they jump in on the bandwagon. The park does not feel "empty" now, the park still deserves a visit for the WORLD-CLASS coasters and the beautiful landscape and European theming. The 2012 coaster will, without a doubt in my mind, be in the top 100 if not top 30ish. If not HIGHER, since I'm playing it safe.

Don't you think you' re investing a lot in a coaster that hasn't had a formal announcement or even a leak.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made the trek to BGW in BBW's final summer. I just happen to be going to Washington DC anyways to visit family. We (I) changed our plans of going to Hershey Park to BGW JUST to ride BBW one last time. It was always a favorite of mine growing up. So it holds a lot of nostalgia with me. My partner, who has never been to BGW ever, only thought it was okay (loved the park overall though). While he was glad to have ridden it, there was much he thought could have been better. He felt the ride was "broken up" too much. The complete stop before the 2nd lift. The trim on the hill towards the river. Just an odd pacing to him. And he loves his coasters, like the rest of us. It was interesting to see what a newcomer thought of the ride. And it wasn't all that great to him. While I enjoyed it and miss it very much, not everybody shares the same feeling about it. Oh and the rest of my family just got off the ride with a great big headache. I miss BBW dearly. But have to wonder if it is more due to childhood memories rather than it being an amazing coaster overall...

Okay I'm gonna share my opinion. Personally I think this is a little ridiculous, it's totally subjective as is every other thing in the world. In the eyes of those that grew up with it, it was indeed a GREAT coaster. It was that one thing that you looked forward to as a kid when you were going to Busch Gardens and then the next week at school you could be cool and tell everyone you rode Big Bad Wolf. On its closing day, I made the journey to Busch Gardens (an hour, no big deal) in the rain just to be there. I spent my entire day there and got to ride it 11 times for final memories. Despite the rain, cold temperatures, invitation to a party, and first day of school the next day, that didn't stop me from giving up that day.

Albeit I've only ridden two other Suspended coasters (Flight Deck and Iron Dragon,) it blew both of them out of the water. It was that perfect mix between thrilling and family-friendly. It had some pretty good force in a few spots and was ALWAYS fun to ride. My mom, who's 61 and rarely rides coasters, loved Big Bad Wolf and rode it during its opening week.

So for the locals, it was a part of their life growing up. It was a right of passage into riding the bigger coasters. It was a part of Busch Gardens and its history and was a classic. Sure the technology was dated and sure it had mechanical issues, but that's partially because it was an experimental design that was TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OLD. If you have a car that's a new design that lasts 25 years problem-free, call me. If you have any machine that lasts 25 years without any problems, call me.

WITH THIS SAID I am also very excited for Mach Tower and whatever future additions Busch Gardens has, as time is moving forwards as is technology. With newer eras and new designs come new memories and new classics. I do think Big Bad Wolf's death was premature but whatever happens happens and whatever they replace it with will hopefully be just as thrilling and just as family-friendly.

Robb, you'll be hard-pressed to change the mind of the people whose memories rule their opinions on Big Bad Wolf. I think Jay20016 and Wes summed it up nicely-

Nostalgia is one tough son of a bitch.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

That said, like I mentioned before, I am a member of the nostalgia group on this issue. Not nearly as strong as some, but one nevertheless. Why is all of this outpouring of emotion coming after the fact? Brace yourselves, I'm pulling out a cliché here: "You don't realize what you have until it's gone." I am firmly in the belief that that is exactly the phenomena we have going on here. It was important to many, a decent, rare, interesting type of ride that existed at a well-known park. Though it was upstaged by Nessie, Apollo, Alpengeist and even Griffon and Drachen Fire for much of the time it was still around, it was always hanging around (ha!) in Oktoberfest.

Why do you think commercials and sweepstakes use the term "While supplies last!"? Because it implies rarity and scarcity, and if something is scarce, it must be all the more valuable. As soon as it was announced that BBW wouldn't be seeing out the decade, every ride became one while supplies lasted. Basic supply and demand. In this case, roller coasters.

Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

IN IT'S FINAL YEAR!!!

I've always found it to be an amazing coaster, from the first time I stepped in it in 2008. It was a truly great experience and a kick ass coaster each of the 3 times I waited 1 hr. that day. But thats just my $.02

Where were all those people from like 1996 to 2008? I think I probably visited the park about 25 times between those years and I don't think I ever waited more than about 15 minutes for Big Bad Wolf. And usually, it was a walk-on.

I went to BGE 3 times in 2008 and the line was always 45min. or more every single time I went on.

If they thought it was so great, why did they wait to come visit until it was about to go away?

When people think a coaster is amazing and thought that it kicked ass, and it's about to be taken away, people will want to ride that coaster one more time to bring back old memories or say goodbye. I know I went to Gadv at least 3 times before July 1st(GASM's rumored closing date) and about 6 times between then and the actual closing date. Why would I do that? I thought GASM was a great coaster, and I wanted to get a lot of last rides in before I would never see it again. Am I crazy for doing that? Maybe, but I know I wasn't the only one. Its like what people did with BBW. They loved it and went back to ride it one last time or in some cases for the first time because they wanted to ride it at least once in their life.

I'm a fan of Arrow suspended coasters. It's a unique coaster concept that is really hard to find nowadays. BBW topped all the suspended coasters I've ridden. I rode it a week before the announcement of the demolition and it was in my top ten list. I can totally understand people not feeling the same way about loosing the ride as I am. As with everything that comes and goes, there will be people who miss it and people who don't.

Eagles Fortress may have been amazing but how many people really have memories of Eagles Fortress

The millions of Koreans that rode it between 1992 and 2009? Do their childhood memories not count for anything? Remember, Everland is a year-round park. I'm sure a lot of people rode that coaster during those 17 years and I've got to think that ONE of them has some sort of memory about it.

--Robb

I think of BBW if anything as being a 'milestone' coaster for me, so it tends to have a very high regard in my views...

Back in the dark ages, before B&M had even been thought of, and the idea of the 200 foot coaster was a while away, I first rode BBW as my first 'willing' coaster- I had ridden junior coasters around the country, and even knocked off a few of the now-gone coasters in New England (Whalom Park Flyer, the Lincoln park Comet) as well as some in SoCal and in the midwest, so no novice was I... however, the first time I saw the second drop, I was -intimidated- by it. Nessie, my first real 'looping' experience was even further off on my radar...

I will admit: I ruined the bushes at the exit stairs. Twice.

However, for me there is and always will be a sentimental attachment to BBW.

That having been said: I sort of have to agree with Robb on this one: Other than the unique theming, and great placement of elements to the ride: It wasn't a spectacular ride overall. Eagle's Fortress was far more terrifying- and used more of the 'suspended' element to better effect. BBW used it's suspended elements well, but it really didn't push what the technology could do. Now I know what you're thinking: It was one of the first 'successful' suspendeds, and it was really a great ride when it was new... But let's face it: Did Busch Gardens ever think about 'plussing' the ride? Nope. Did they push for Arrow to make the 'coachless' trains that Vekoma did? Nope. They could have. Easily, in many cases.

I will miss the BBW as much as any lost coaster, more so for memories rather than the ride itself.

R.D.

Don't you think you' re investing a lot in a coaster that hasn't had a formal announcement or even a leak.

Don't you think you're investing a lot in a ride that couldn't even crack the top #100 most years and the park didn't find it valuable enough to keep?

Touche!

--Robb "No hard feelings..." Alvey

I absolutely loved the BBW, but quite honestly, I wouldn't make a three, four trip (the distance from my old house to Busch) JUST for it. I don't see who would do it just for BBW, but they're crazy. Like Robb stated, it has 3 highly rated B&M's, and even Loch Ness, which is good in itself for an Arrow. And I also think that maybe that "one of the last Arrow Suspended" thing actually is part of it.

They're not enthusiasts, just regular people.

Exactly. And it's the regular people who WERE NOT giving BBW much ridership all those years and it's the enthusiasts who WERE NOT ranking the coaster very highly.

So where is the argument here?

--Robb "A park looks at both of these things when they consider which rides to retire." Alvey

I have a closer connection to the ride than most. My first ride was in 1987, a fairly new coaster at the time. I have to say that it was the best coaster I had ridden at the time. I had fond memories of riding twice that day, once at night, and the aspect of no lights on the last drop were absolutely terrifying at the time. Fast forward to the next time I had the opportunity to ride, 2006. Almost 20 years between rides. I have to say that the ride did not disappoint. As I was waiting in line, I actually got jittery feelings again, which is hard for a coaster to do. The ride itself had not changed at all for me. Nor for my Dad who was riding right next to me. He was smiling and laughing through the whole ride. I got in line to ride late that night and waited over 1 hour(so lines were long for this before the last year). We made plans to visit again the following year, but sadly, my father passed away before we could do this(just 2 weeks before we were to go too!! He was so excited!). So my last ride with him was on this wonderful roller coaster. I wish they would have auctioned off pieces of it. I would have loved to have a piece to remember our last ride.

Don't you think you're investing a lot in a ride that couldn't even crack the top #100 most years and the park didn't find it valuable enough to keep?

Touche!

--Robb "No hard feelings..." Alvey

Don't you think you put too much faith in a totally subjective poll to the point where you come across as someone who bases their theme park decisions off of its outcome?

Robb, you sound like you think the ride wasn't worth the footers that were poured for it. If the Hawker bible was released for you back in 1984, would the wolf still not crack the top 100/threshold of glory? In thirty years, when Alpengeist is facing dismantling, are you going to say, "Well it hasn't ben in the top 100 for years, so it maybe it wasn't that good."

Robb, you sound like you think the ride wasn't worth the footers that were poured for it.

Oh, well then I suggest you read the first two posts in this thread because that's not what I said at all.

--Robb "I also think you're taking my comments a wee bit too personally." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I must say that Big Bad Wolf was a great coaster. Although, I was sad to see it leave, I still think BGW is the best park I've ever been to, and Apollo, Griffon, and Alpengeist are all amazing coasters. Honestly I'd rather see BBW leave than any of those three, and I'm happy I got the chance to ride it again before it closed last year.

Actually, I think a larger reason for the ride's removal was the lack of parts. With Arrow going out of business there was no longer parts for the ride in production BBW was bound to close eventually. The idea of creating a new ride and attracting more people by replacing a ride that would be very expensive to maintain is quite good.

Actually, I think a larger reason for the ride's removal was the lack of parts. With Arrow going out of business there was no longer parts for the ride in production BBW was bound to close eventually. The idea of creating a new ride and attracting more people by replacing a ride that would be very expensive to maintain is quite good.

Absolutely! Think about the operational and mechanical challenges that ride faces:

- Two lift hills

- Track over water

- Trains that include multiple shocks on each car of each train

- It's 25 years old

- The TWO companies that originally built and designed it no longer exist.

- The coaster no longer got the annual ridership it did 10-15 years ago

I'm sure there are more, and when a park looks at how much money they have to spend annually to keep up a 25 year old ride versus buying something that is new which comes with less baggage and is more marketable for years to come.

I am sure that meetings were had to discuss the cost to keep BBW over the next ten years and the return that would generate versus building a new coaster.

I never said I thought the ride wasn't really cool. I really like Arrow suspendeds also. I never said that people shouldn't get nostalgic over it. I too have lots of wonderful memories from coasters no longer with us. I'm just saying that I don't think the ride was as be-all, end-all good as the mourners are making it out to be.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Absolutely! Think about the operational and mechanical challenges that ride faces:

- Two lift hills

- Track over water

- Trains that include multiple shocks on each car of each train

- It's 25 years old

- The TWO companies that originally built and designed it no longer exist.

- The coaster no longer got the annual ridership it did 10-15 years ago

I'm sure there are more, and when a park looks at how much money they have to spend annually to keep up a 25 year old ride versus buying something that is new which comes with less baggage and is more marketable for years to come.

I am sure that meetings were had to discuss the cost to keep BBW over the next ten years and the return that would generate versus building a new coaster.

I never said I thought the ride wasn't really cool. I never said that people shouldn't get nostalgic over it. I'm just saying that I don't think the ride was as good as the mourners are making it out to be.

--Robb

Robb you have hit exactly almost every reason why the coaster left. I had the privilege of being a supervisor for BBW in spring of 2009 before moving over to Roman Rapids. While the ride was popular and only 25 years old, it was damn near impossible to maintain anymore. When we were filming the Que Video for BBW in 2009 ( Yeah they made a new video for the few months it had left) the ride was broken down the entire day. This just tells you that its life would be coming to an end soon. So it was no surprise when i found out it was being taken out in May 2009.