TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

Killing an arguably great coaster and just adding a drop ride nearly 2 yrs after the fact is probably what stings about BGW decisions the most. I am glad I was able to ride BBW one last time in 2009, but I'm convinced what ever comes to replace it has to be spectacular in order to redeem themselves of the act in my eyes ( enough to make me want to drive the 5 hrs down there again just for a weekend at the park.)

A year without the Big Bad Wolf. The park feels so dead now.

Why is it that we never heard about people driving 5 hours just for Big Bad Wolf BEFORE it was closed? How is the park "so dead" now when it has three very highly rated B&Ms?!?! (Apollo #16, Griffon #27, Alpengeist#54) Seriously...it was a "good" ride and all, but prior to it's announced closing, I'm not sure I ever once heard someone say that ride would have been a dealbreaker for going to that park.

Yes, it's a bummer that the park lost a major 42" in ride. And it's a bummer that we lost another Arrow suspended. That is the *only* thing I can really agree with that is really a bummer about losing BBW.

Even in it's final year it only just barely cracked the top 100 best steel coasters, and that was only because of it's final year. The year before that it was #111, and the year before that it was #104. Great Bear at Hersheypark is actually ranked higher than Big Bad Wolf so am I to assume that if Hershey announced that ride would be leaving that all of a sudden there would be people who would refuse to go to Hersheypark because Great Bear is gone?

So don't cry me a river when a "not-even-top-100-coaster" gets the axe. Eagle's Fortress was at least ranked #2 in the world, and no one really seemed to notice.

--Robb "I liked Big Bad Wolf, don't get me wrong...but I didn't even miss it during my visit to BGW this year..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to split this off from the "biggest disappointments" thread because I just felt it needed it's own discussion.

Look, I can see why a lot of the locals would be bummed out. I'd feel the same way about Ninja here at Six Flags Magic Mountain. But let's be honest here, much like Ninja, the ride wasn't THAT amazing! If it wasn't it would have been ranked much, MUCH higher.

I'm not saying it's not a bummer that the ride is gone. It is. Given that there aren't many of them left, and especially for those people who have personal memories around it. But I do think people are making a bigger deal out of something that clearly they only found to be "amazing" after the fact.

If that wasn't the case, why didn't people rank the ride higher in the polls?

Discuss...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

So maybe I get a free pass for being a local? It was my absolute first coaster, so I have that attachment to it. But I didn't think it was Jesusride, because I really don't remember that much of it at all. So here comes the elephant in the room: a lot of people didn't think it was great because it was an incredible ride, but because of their personal history and memories around it.

Maybe that's just the way I see it.

Never impressed me either. I always found it slow, and kind of "meh", and I always thought Ninja blew it away. And of course, Eagles Fortress, though to be fair EF blew away pretty much every other coaster on the planet.

I was at BGW three times this year, and didn't miss it. I'm very interested to see what they'll be adding to that area.

dt

I rode it 'way back' in 2008, it was my first arrow suspended. It was definately a fun ride. Swinging through canyons and the final drop down onto the rivers was really cool. But is ride is not fast enough to be considered top class, and the fact that it dies halfway through doesn't help it either.

As far as BGE's concerned. I would make a 5hrs trip to ride Alpengeist and Griffon alone, regards of the other rides.

Bas 'I'm more of a B&M-guy' Houben

It was a really fun ride. I think it was great for an Arrow. Now compared to some of the newer Intamin and B&M's it may be trash, but really it wasn't that bad. It might not be the fastest or the tallest, but being built in 1984 or somewhere around there it's pretty good.

Edited by MagnumUnlimited

I went from Chicago to Busch Gardens Europe in 2009. Big Bad Wolf itself was TOTALLY worth it! I have never seen such intense swaying on a suspended coaster, and the layout was truly unique! The speed past the buildings was very intense and there was no slowing down or chugging of the chain until the 2nd lift hill and the ending brakes.

And the day I was there, the line got up to 2 hours with 3 train operations while everything else was a walk on. Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

Yeah, I do think it was amazing, and so did everyone else!

IN IT'S FINAL YEAR!!!

Where were all those people from like 1996 to 2008? I think I probably visited the park about 25 times between those years and I don't think I ever waited more than about 15 minutes for Big Bad Wolf. And usually, it was a walk-on.

If they thought it was so great, why did they wait to come visit until it was about to go away?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Where were all those people from like 1996 to 2008? I think I probably visited the park about 25 times between those years and I don't think I ever waited more than about 15 minutes for Big Bad Wolf. And usually, it was a walk-on.

If they thought it was so great, why did they wait to come visit until it was about to go away?

--Robb

Well, Griffon even has walk on lines! I will admit, Griffon was pretty amazing too, but I doubt the line will get long on those non-busy days just like Big Bad Wolf did. I'm sure in 20-30 years or whenever Busch Gardens Europe announces that Griffon will be leaving, the line will become longer and there will be a public outcry because of it.

But, I did like the ride, especially compared to other suspended coasters.

It was my first (and probably last) Arrow suspended just because if I don't get to the rest of them, they too might be gone.

Was it amazing? Not really. It was fun for what it was, the village section was pretty cool. The last drop was cool, but as soon as it happens, it ended. Not a bad ride, but yes, I don't believe it is deserving of the undue praise either... but, look at public figures whom "pass on." They too are often remembered in a light that is far more forgiving and positive than many deserve.

Nostalgia is one tough son of a bitch.

Something else I wanted to note:

A year without the Big Bad Wolf. The park feels so dead now.

How is the park "so dead" now when it has three very highly rated B&Ms?!?! (Apollo #16, Griffon #27, Alpengeist#54)

I mean, how many other parks have three steel coasters in the top 54? Let's see...

- Cedar Point (Millennium Force, Maverick, and Dragster)

- Busch Gardens Tampa (Montu, Kumba, SheiKra)

- and Techincally IOA (Hulk and if you count Fireball and Horntail seperate)

THAT'S IT!

How can you have a park that is "so dead" when it's one of only four parks IN THE WORLD that has as many coasters that are ranked as high as they are?

How is BGW is such a "disappointment" without Big Bad Wolf?

--Robb "I just don't get it..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I haven't been to BGE (although i'd love to) but it must be partly down to nostalgia. Eagles Fortress may have been amazing but how many people really have memories of Eagles Fortress, I imagine quite a few people rode BBW when they were children.

To the Brits out there how would you feel if Vampire was removed? I doubt it comes in the top 20 UK coasters but I'd be gutted if it left Chessington.

Robb, I feel like you read my comments about the Big Bad Wolf closing.

As a local, I did have a special attachment to the park, and the Wolf, with it being my first coaster.

I also have a creepy fetish for Schwarzkopfs and the Schwarzkopf spinoff, the Arrow Suspended Coaster. I feel like not enough Schwarzkopfs are in use, and I wish they could have frozen Anton's body so he could come back at a later date.

Disclaimers covered, I think the ride is very unique and above average. Sure, you're not getting any precious airtime on it, and it's not particularly fast or long, but it was so unique. It was an innovation for its time. It's a very intricately designed roller coaster, from the model type down to the very low, swooping layout.

With the traditional B&M invert becoming a relatively vanilla coaster flavor, I like how people are looking into small applications of the suspended design in roller coasters like the Wingrider, and even the Mack Suspended design.

The Big Bad Wolf did two things I like really well, it was a terrain-focused roller coaster, and it had a very intense portion. Top speed is recorded at 48, but when you're whipping through the last turns, it feels much, much faster.

And since when does a roller coaster have to be in the top 100 of Mitch's poll to be liked/a good roller coaster? I never got more thrill out of the dive on Griffon than I did on the second half of the Wolf. It was a very good coaster that complemented the rest of the lineup.

The only roller coasters I have to ride at BGW now are Apollo's Chariot and the Loch Ness Monster. Griffon feels like a one-trick pony, and Alpengeist's MCBR has gotten to be a nuisance, and it's getting a nasty rattle.

Also, I can't believe you're throwing Millennium Force at me. Mostly because I'm the weirdo that picks Magnum over Millie almost every time. Also, Griffon is prepping for a freefall on the list. I like the coaster, but it just feels "there".

And the park is "dead" for the time being, or at least Oktoberfest. You could see every single roller coaster on the Rhine from the Oktoberfest bridge, including the Wolf, which took up the left side (coming from Italy). Oktoberfest has no anchor; it is floating around with Festhaus and DarKastle trying to keep it in its place. Busch Gardens has few coasters to begin with, and removing one never really helps the cause.

I'm not trying to make enemies twenty posts into TPR, but it did matter, and I liked it. I don't mean to be rude, but it's hard to understand if you don't have this lifetime attachment I do.

The only time I've been to BGW was in 2008.. and Big Bad Wolf was actually the only ride of everything we rode that we didn't ride multiple times. The only thing I really liked about it was the last drop. Other than that I thought it was boring.

I thought Big Bald Wolf was the best Arrow suspended coasters out there, but I'm not a fan of Arrow suspendeds.

During my visit in 2004, I think I rode BBW once. It was fun, but not as fun as Apollo's Chariot in the back row. I must have rode Apollo's Chariot 20 times!

The Big Bad Wolf wasn't amazing on it's own, but for a suspended coaster it pretty much was the king (in the U.S. anyways). When I rode it back in 2007, I still thought it was a great ride. Sure, it wasn't as good as Griffon, Alpengeist, or Apollo's Chariot but it was still very unique. Since it was my first suspended coaster, I didn't know what to expect it until I rode it. I remember the drop after the second lift was great (even with the trims) and really took advantage of the parks landscape. When I rode Ninja just one month later, I didn't have nearly as much fun as the Big Bad Wolf. From there on, I missed the ride which I will now never be able to ride again. It's pretty hard to compare any existing suspended coaster to Big Bad Wolf. I'm sure Eagle's Fortress was better, but it looks like that will be going now also. So in short, while it was in operation people enjoyed it but most people never payed way too much attention to it. Now that it's gone, people now realize it really was a great ride.

5 hours for BBW? Try 10.

I drove up every year from 2001 till 2007 to visit BGW. It is my favorite park, even over Disney, Universal, etc. I did not visit in 2008 because of finances and haven't visited since. For the past two years, I haven't made a major effort to get up there, partially because BBW was gone. BBW was in my personal top ten and is the only suspended swinging Arrow I've ridden. For me, it is sorely missed. Mind you, I'm not boycotting them or anything like that, but a ten hour drive is daunting when they take out one of the major reasons you visit. Due to my physical problems, I find it difficult to fit in coasters with OTSRs, but BBW was one I could comfortably ride. I am planning a trip in 2012 to ride the replacement coaster.

Eagle's Fortress? I would love to have ridden that coaster, but seeing as it was on the other side of the planet, I was unlikely to ever see it in person. Being unemployed for two years kills your traveling prospects.

Robb, you are one of the most well traveled people I've ever heard of. You're an expert on coasters and parks, and rightly so. Most people on this site are enthusiasts of varying degrees. But we are a tiny, insignificant fraction of the people who attend theme parks. To the average BGW park goer, who may only ride a handful of coasters in their lifetime, the loss of BBW was horrible. How would these people even know of Eagle's Fortress, much less ride it? They're not enthusiasts, just regular people.

Why is this coaster's loss felt so much? Because so many people loved it... plain and simple. For me, it was in my top ten favorite coasters. Yes, I haven't ridden as many coasters as most of you, but I will feel the loss of BBW for years to come.

Squid

I rode BBW in 2003 and I faintly remember it.

If it were still here, it would be my least favorite coaster there, (apart from maybe Loch Ness). The most I remember of BBW is the adults I were with complaining about it being very rough. The only people who say the park is dead and they would never visit it again are the people who have memories, and the wanna-be's who want attention so they jump in on the bandwagon. The park does not feel "empty" now, the park still deserves a visit for the WORLD-CLASS coasters and the beautiful landscape and European theming. The 2012 coaster will, without a doubt in my mind, be in the top 100 if not top 30ish. If not HIGHER, since I'm playing it safe.

From what I can understand BBW was that "tweener" ride for kids too big for Grover and too short for the B&M's. In a sense that's a void in BGW's lineup now that Wolf is gone.

It was my favorite of the suspended genre. Front seat was awesome as it seemed you were about to smack into the buildings through the village and back seat was fantastic as you whipped around the corner off the second lift and plummeted towards the Rhine River below.