TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's be honest here... Big Bad Wolf wasn't THAT amazing...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This coaster IS still in my top 20 and WILL remain there. This was the BEST SUSPENDED COASTER out there. What has happened is technology has NOW hurt the minds of rollercoaster enthusiasts. They have coasters NOW that with shoot u to the actual moon and back. Now if u WERE born in the past 20 yrs then NO BBW wouldnt be squat to you because u were born WHEN rides we over 200 ft with 11 inversions so now the coasters of yesteryear arent fun to YOU but they are to older enthusiasts. My favorite coasters actually are, Adventure Express at KI, BBW Busch Gardens, The Mine Train at SFMM, The Beast and the VOYAGE.

The only thing that has IMPRESSED me technology wise in the past 20 yrs is X

^My friends would totally think I am weird if I actually said this, but as I have gotten older I have found that I too enjoy the 'classics' more and more. Ninja at SFMM, Montezoomas Revenge, BBW, Disney Coasters, and the like. I am all for an intense ride but I can only handle so much in a day! "FUN" rides are more and more what I am looking to seek out. Verbolten and Cheetah Hunt, while I have not ridden the latter, seem to be rides that are perfect for my tastes these days. So, while I did get to ride BBW (didn't find it to be any more or less interesting than Ninja), I am very happy with the replacement.

^^Eagle Fortress was WAY better.

I only got to ride Big Bad Wolf before I was even really into coasters (in fact, I was actually still quite scared of them) on my 8th grade class trip to DC, and it didn't even do anything for me back then. I actually remember telling my friend, "that was just Ninja with a bigger drop...lets go ride one of the bigger ones."

^^Eagle Fortress was WAY better.

Yes. No one that didn't experience the complete insanity that was Eagle's Fortress will ever understand this. That ride did things it probably shouldn't have been doing. And night rides were unreal.

BBW was always "meh" to me. I always liked Ninja better.

dt

Big Bad Wolf was one of the many rides that I found out about through a coaster documentary (or two) that I wanted to ride at least once in my life. I got that opportunity finally in 2009 and enjoyed it. There was nothing terribly thrilling about it except for the final drop, but even that had been neutered with the trim. So, to me it was a fun ride and I completely understand why it would hold a certain nostalgia for a lot of enthusiasts. But, I am just not one to hang on to something, (except Horizons damnit!!!! ) so I say, bring on Verbolten!!

My understanding is that the ride used to beat itself up every day and needed a lot of work after the park closed. One of my coworkers once mentioned that her son was a tech at the park (this a was a few years ago) and that he had to "weld the Big Bad Wolf together" every night.

For me it was not that it was this big thrilling ride. It was the fact that there are not that many coasters like that around anymore. It was the only one around me and the only other I can think of off the top of my head is the one at Cedar Point. I love the feeling of sitting in the back and really feeling that swing of the arm of the seat.

I normally agree with Robb and I hate to say this because it makes me sound like I'm full of crap and would never have said this while the ride was still open but I've ALWAYS loved Big Bad Wolf and always ranked it much higher than most people. I just went back to my Coaster Grotto (Apparently they still exit) account to see where I used to have it ranked and I had it at #6 out of (at the time) 137 coasters. I also had it ranked above the other coasters at BGW (Griffon was not there yet) since I was really disappointed by Apollo and I liked Alpie but the second half was taken at a snails pace.

I've always really liked Suspended and Inverted coasters. I loved the uniqueness of the ride and I loved the out of control first half and the awesome drop over the water. People that have ridden Eagle Fortress might be laughing at me calling this ride "Out of Control" but I've never ridden Eagle Fortress so BBW is by far the best suspended I've been on. I have watched the video of Eagle Fortress and I'll admit that it looks like it's MUCH better than BBW but again... I never got to ride it.

I just have a thing for these types of coasters. I've never met a Suspended coaster that I haven't liked. I even kind of like Iron Dragon. It's a shame to see them go. I know I probably overrate these coasters but we all have different tastes when it comes to rides we enjoy so I'm sure there are some others that agree with me.

I don't know if it's just the "I never rode Eagle's Fortress" effect, but I thought BBW was much better than Ninja. Every time I rode it, I loved it, and I still give it high praises as being one of the best classic coasters. I do miss the ride, but I know well enough to let it go and not cry every night over it. But I still remember riding it the week before the demolition announcement, and I still remember ranking it in my top 20 even then.

Being that it has been a few years since I've ridden both Ninja and Big Bad Wolf (It might have been longer for Ninja),

I remember my ride on Ninja more than my ride on Big Bad Wolf. As a matter of fact I think it was way more enjoyable.

Big Bad Wolf must have not been anything incredible, even if the last drop was pretty OMFG!

--James

Well if BBW wasn't better then Ninja then I see why they got rid of it lol. Ninja Imo is weak because as soon as it really get's to going it's over, then you ride a slow lift back to the top and get off. Ninja is an ok family ride and not very thrilling at all imo.

When I rode BBW there were two girls sitting behind me that were about 12 or 13 years old. One of the girls was screaming hysterically during the ride. When we got back to the station and I could turn around, I could see she was really terrified and had tears in her eyes. The non-crying friend said to her "Lets go ride Apollo's Chariot, it's not nearly as scary!" I wish I had the time to follow them and see the results.

I may be alone in this, and I can't remember for certain since I've only ridden each coaster a few times (my one and only trip to BGE was back in 2004), but I don't recall thinking Loch Ness Monster was really any better than BBW. In fact I think I enjoyed BBW more than LNM. I especially hated the double up entrance to the second lift hill.

As far as BBW is concerned, I think my biggest problem with it was how much the train was slowed down going into the second lift. If Arrow could have figured out a way to let the train turn into the lift with all the speed built up before hand, it would have greatly helped maintain the adrenaline factor as well as the pacing by eliminating the giant dead spot dividing the two halves (if you can even call the section after the second lift half) of the ride.