TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Has this ever happened to you?

I was wondering whether anyone has ever experienced this, or whether i'm just being crazy. I was at thorpe park on x:no way out, and suddenly the seatbelt popped open. I assumed i was mental, but a year later, i was on space mountain and disneyland paris, and one of the people i was with started screaming in the middle of the ride that her seatbelt had opened. Has anyone else had this happen anywhere?

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at Lake Winnie in Georgia, I was riding their wooden out-and-back coaster, the Cannonball. On the hill going up to the turnaround, my seatbelt came open! But, like others said, it wasn't a big deal; I just fastened it back and enjoyed the rest of the ride. Lake Winnie itself is a lawsuit waiting to happen. They checked my restraints on one ride there. ONE.

Yes, I had this expierience only 3month ago in parque warner, madrid.

I was riding Superman (B&M Florless) and the OTSR was very tight.. I was incredible intelligent.. pulled it even more down while the lifthill. During the first drop it was that tight, I can't breath normally and suddenly it popped up again (only one or two snags). It was still secure, because the OTSR was still held by the seatbelt and it engaged again very fast. But, the feeling was incredible awesome!!

In all my years of riding rides, I've never had that terrible experience of having a restaint fail nor a seat beal come unfasten, but I did have the horror of almost flying out of my seat while riding a roller coaster. Which coaster do you ask? Was it one of those steel monsters that could give a meek person a heart attack just by looking at it?

No, it was a small wooden coaster called "The Skyliner" at Lakemont Park in Altoona, Pennsylvainia.

This coaster still had the old-fashion bar restaints and I just finished my first ride (up in the front) when I decided to ride the coaster again, but this time in the back seat. Now keep in mind that I am not a reckless rider: I follow all rules of the ride and ride attendants and ensure that I haven't violated anything that could harm me or others. When that train went down its first hill, the force and jerk caused me to be airborn for a second and only the bar (and my big stomach) were the only things that prevented me from flying out of my seat (thank goodness I wasn't a skinny kid). I think I held onto the bar for dear life during the rest of the ride. No wonder why wooden coasters today have their coaster trains with divider seats, individual lap bars, and seat belts.

"At least you don't need to worry about restraints when you lie your head on me. Isn't that lovely?"

Edited by palmerleeberry

Just this year my partner and I were riding in the back of the Scream Machine at SFOG and as we went down the first drop we both were basically standing and the buzz bar came all the way up. And then it happened on the second drop too. When we got to the bottom of the second drop I slammed it down and it locked again. We held on for the rest of the ride. Thank God for seatbelts or our asses would have been ejected. I think it was because my belly is bigger and the buzz bar didn't initially lock down. Regardless, one of the single scariest ride experiences I have ever had.

While I was at Dorney Park on Talon the restraint I had there was 2 buckles. Going up the lift I tried pulling my restraint down so it would click in, but it didn't. I tried doing it throughout the ride and it wasn't until we got to the brakes that it would lock again. It didn't really shock me, but I knew that if I was buckled in, then they wouldn't magically fly open.

Maybe it's a B&M thing. At the little drop off the lift on Dominator, my harness went all the way up till the belt caught it. I was shitten myself the rest of the ride holding it down. It did lock itself back in place, but for those 2 minutes I had a helluva ride.

Just this year my partner and I were riding in the back of the Scream Machine at SFOG and as we went down the first drop we both were basically standing and the buzz bar came all the way up. And then it happened on the second drop too. When we got to the bottom of the second drop I slammed it down and it locked again. We held on for the rest of the ride. Thank God for seatbelts or our asses would have been ejected. I think it was because my belly is bigger and the buzz bar didn't initially lock down. Regardless, one of the single scariest ride experiences I have ever had.

Same thing happened to me. At first I was thinking, "wow - there is a LOT more airtime than usual!" Then realized that the seatbelt was the only thing holding us in. Although scary as all hell, it was truly one of the most AMAZING rides I've ever had on the SFoG Scream Machine!

One of my first coaster riding memories is riding Python at BGT with my father and my restraint popping open a notch. It scared me to death. In retrospect, I was perfectly safe but it was extremely frightening at the time.

At the ghetto park on the UK trip, all of the wacky worm's restraints popped open when we went through the station for our second go around. I can imagine that it was quite a scare for the *ahem* one child on the coaster.

Not the seatbelt, but the lapbar restraint came undone while I was riding Hurler at KD. I think it was never properly secured though. One of many reasons I won't ride Hurler.

Same thing happened to me on grizzly back on my opening weekend visit,I had to fill out an incident report upon returning to the station after letting the ops know about the problem when my lapbar popped open just before the lift.

Good thing I was able to get it down & it stayed locked for the rest of the ride...I know for sure that it was down & locked prior to dispatch so something must've happened between the station & lift to cause it to release.

I was riding Zulu (a Huss Enterprise) when I was around 10 and our cage opened during the ride (I was also riding with my older brother's friend who was 13 at the time)...the ride ops noticed it and did an E-stop and we got to ride again. We were near vertical when it happened, and it really didn't pose a huge threat because those things aren't that easy to fall out of, but it was still scary.

I had a ride on Georgia Cyclone that was pretty terrible. It was the end of the day and there was no line, so I decided to give it one more shot (having a rough time earlier that day), and, well, I'm glad it was the last ride of the day. The ride has seat belts and single lap bars, and my lap bar only ratched down a couple clicks! I yelled at the ride op to either fix it or let me switch seats, and she basically shrugged and said "yeah, you're fine." I took her word for it.

Now, I'm kind of a skinny twig, so... it was an interesting ride, to say the least.

Thankfully, the years have not been kind to GC, and the ride doesn't have much airtime anymore. However, it was by far the roughest ride I've ever had on a coaster (excepting possibly Ninja). You are not meant to move around that much on any ride, ever.

And when there was airtime... my poor crotch.

Anyways, I left that park wishing I'd had the balls to ask for a free pass or something from that op. Seriously, that was rough, and I deserved compensation!

From these stories, i'm starting to hate those clicky bars like on g-force at drayton manor, and the wooden seatbelts. My size is kind of wierd, so I never get a perfect fit. This means that on rides such a rush at thorpe park, which is one of those swings, I find , and i end up lifting about a inch out of the seat

• 2 weeks later...

One time, on The Matterhorn, the seat belt wouldn't pull up, I wasn't scared knowing that the ride always stops right before you enter the cave, but the ride didn't stop that time, and i rode seatbelt-less. It was so fun! Also on Ghost Rider, Right before "The Drop", me and my friends lap bars opened completely, we thought we were gonna die! but we had the seat belt luckily. We got major airtime though! Kinda hard to enjoy it though. When we got off the ride, the dude working noticed it, they freaked out and asked if we were O.K.. They gave us passes to the park. It was awesome!

Mine ususally click 1 click tighter, never undoing itself mid ride. I did however have it happen the first time ever riding an Intamin tower (GA's Drop Tower) when they were getting ready to dispatch when we found our restraints weren't technically locked. My friend yelled, they canceled the dispatch, reset something and we were finally locked. Whether if the dispatch would have happened with a non-locking restraint is beyond me. Anyone want to chime in on the Intamin Towers, preferably someone who has operated one? Freaky thing is that the following day is the day the kid fell off of the tower. Whether if these two incidents are linked is beyond me. Odd enough, Drop Tower happens to now be one of my favorite rides at GA!

I've had restraints become loose but never fail before. Once on RoS at Darien Lake the lap bar seemed to loosen to the point where the only thing holding me in was the seat belt. But I didn't really notice that it was a problem until the ejector airtime hills at the end. However, I'm kinda a small guy so the restraint didn't necessarily need to be that loose for me to have a little too much wiggle room.

Not the seatbelt, but the lapbar restraint came undone while I was riding Hurler at KD. I think it was never properly secured though. One of many reasons I won't ride Hurler.

I'm so sorry your experience with that horrible coaster was made even more horrible. Please join me as together we take a stand against "Hurler". People need this charity. Why? Because even non-enthusiasts that feel Dominator is the best coaster in the park because of "teh l00p" agree that Hurler is a disgrace to the coaster community. Please. Take a stand.

On topic, however, I've never had that happen to me. I guess it's a seatbelt though, it'd be worse if it was the entire restraint.

I was riding Batwing at Six Flags America once and one of my arm restraints came loose. So I had one arm fastened in and one was not. I was actually scared.

Then another time I was on Mind Eraser at Six Flags America and the over the shoulder restraint came loose one click through the first inversion. I was petrified but still ride it.

Another time I was on a Zipper at a local carnival with this kid I just met because you can not ride them solo. Well they started the ride before our door was shut. The operator that was securing us was not the one operating the ride. The one operating was not paying any attention to other side since they load facing both ways. So here I am in this ride with this small child scared sh*tless - I am pushing against the top and bottom with one hand and both feet while holding my arm across the kid with the other. The whole time my mom is screaming and yelling on the ground to get us down The guy that was securing our car jumped up and was holding onto the door dangling about 10 feet above the ground - he was yelling to me to sit back and move your hands and feet away from the door. By this time the ride had stopped. He managed to slam it shut and climbed back to the ground...

...The zipper is still my FAVORITE carnival ride.