TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Biggest Disappointment of 2010?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intimidator - Maybe it's just that I'm not into B&M hyper coasters, I dunno, but I just found this version to be one of the weaker B&M hypers I've been on. Especially riding Apollo's Chariot a few days after, which I also considered to be pretty weak, Intimidator made Apollo seem AWESOME. Why was this one so bad?

Oh good! I'm not the only one that felt this way! I do remember having a conversation with Scott during ERT, like literally looking at each other and having a full conversation. Not one of those where you really couldn't hear or see the other person. I still had fun though.

As for I305 I think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed it. It wasn't bad but I obviously never rode it before all the changes were made so I can't really compare it to anything.

Oh and speaking of Halloween events. Every year I get a little bit more and more disappointed with SFGam's Fright Fest. This year, they decided to do all the scare actors in house, meaning no more iconic Mayor Slayor, Trolls and other characters you see every year. I didn't go into the haunted houses, so I don't know how those were but from what I heard, they were a little lame. I just hope next year FF is different.

Edited by Jojo19799

As for I305 I think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed it. It wasn't bad but I obviously never rode it before all the changes were made so I can't really compare it to anything.

I thought I305 was "AMAZING!" as well.. I guess I'm easily impressed or other enthusiasts prefer forum reviews over real life experiences.

Chris "just sayin" Connolly

The moving of Jay Thomas from SFMM to corporate. He was so cool to have around the park! Chopping off operating hours during the summer for SFMM is another one.

Terminator audio, World of Color, and Mean Streak's failure to burn (Haha) are all other big ones for me.

I thought I305 was "AMAZING!" as well.. I guess I'm easily impressed or other enthusiasts prefer forum reviews over real life experiences.

Chris "just sayin" Connolly

I agree with you. I try not to let people's impressions about coasters (or any ride for that matter) influence me. Let me ride it, then I'll form an opinion.

Oh I just thought of something. The biggest disappointment of 2010 was not being able to put our hands up on the kiddie coaster at Go Karts Plus. I dare not get the whistle, so I did not do it. But I KNOW someone did.

I agree with you. I try not to let people's impressions about coasters (or any ride for that matter) influence me. Let me ride it, then I'll form an opinion.

That's the mindset I had when I went to ElecTRONica at Disney's California Adventure. Overall, it's alright.

To me, the biggest disappointments I had this year were Disneyland making the "Halloween Screams" fireworks exclusive to party-goers only and the dirty water in Paradise Pier.

From the list, the one's that stood out for me:

- 17 Windseekers announced: this is so uninspiring, if Knott's doesn't know where to stick theirs, maybe they can go stick it up their ***. Also this will make it 4 years with CP not getting a new coaster, America's Roller coast, well they won't be the coast with the most next year.

- Expedition Ge Force being down majority of the Summer: this one affected me personally, the only reason I went to Europe last year and it's down though I accept that's always a possibility with travel. Goliath at Walibi at least made up for it somewhat.

- Harry Potter Theme Park / Dragon Challenge Retheme: What gives, this whole thing only introduced one new ride to IOA, and it's a glorified motion simulator? I think there should have been more new rides. Duelling Dragons, I wasn't too fussed with the changes, it was running sensationally when I went.

- Major Halloween events plateauing: I was very disappointed with Orlando's HHN (my first time), having done Hollywood HHN in 2009 and 2010 as a comparison point, HHN Orlando seemed tame and relatively lifeless & a far inferior experience in every way.

- Overhyped Thirteen: If Alton didn't have Nemesis I wouldn't have endured the hellish train/bus commute from London to get there. 13 inspired indifference and after riding it, I'd give it a 13 out of 100 for thrills. And I couldn't see where they spent the money, that hydraulic trick track must have cost a fortune because the rest of the coaster looked a $1.98, like an extended roller skater. Though i do find Alton's overhyping amusing for it's absurdity.

The biggest dissapointment of 2010 for me was the closing of AstroWorld. Yes I know it happened 5 years ago but I am still reeling from what I consider to be one of the BIGGEST mistakes in the Amusement Park Industry.

And to make matter worse they still have not rebuilt Greezed Lightnin'. C'mon Joyland get with it!

@JoAnna - I know I did

I can't think of any massive disappointments - as a rule I pretty much liked everything everyone else hated, and vice-versa. I guess you could say I was disappointed in I305, but that's my intensity-hating equilibrium's fault, really. And that was WITH the trims, so everyone who complains about them can suck on that. I305 was too intense for me halfway down the train; it would've been nice if I could have ridden back row without exploding in a mass of nausea and disorientation, but them's the breaks. It's a good ride, and the intensity people have a winner on their hands, but it wasn't really for me.

That said, I was disappointed when 4 consecutive rides on Carowinds' Intimidator left me tired out, so I'm not really a classic example of a coaster enthusiast to listen to.

- Pepsi being served at any park

- The Voyage - rough as all hell. If there are any other coasters being thought of for a Texas Giant style makeover, this needs to be at the top of the list. Though what's scary is that The Legend was even rougher.

- Pottertown - I'm not a fan, and while it looks nice, IT IS WAY TOO SMALL FOR THE CROWDS THEY ARE GETTING. And there really isn't that much to do, unless you like waiting in line to watch a guy play with his wand. The ride was OK, but if I never rode it again it wouldn't bother me. Way overhyped.

- HHN 20 - I didn't do mazes again because of my eyes, but even so it just seemed so off. And Bill & Ted was HORRIBLE. Seriously, my cats could have written a funnier show. Most of the fun I had the night there was talking to Tour Guide Ashley about shark movies.

- Indiana Beach - I was really looking forward to going back for the first time in ten years. While it wasn't horrible, it wasn't as fun as it used to be. I'm guessing that new management has changed things, as there were a fair number of closed rides, the operations were generally bad, the food quality was WAY off (except the taco place. Those still ruled), and in general the whole place seemed sort of sad.

- Having to drop out of the Europe trip. Seeing those pictures of the German fair and Olympia Looping really bummed me out.

- Six Flags America still open. There is always next year!

- My foot falling apart on the Mid-America trip. Yeah, that felt bad...

- Prowler - After the coaster poll last year and the way people freaked out about it, I was expecting to touch God while riding it. Instead, it's your standard GCI. I feel coaster enthusiasts have lied to me.

And speaking of this, my #1 disappointment...STUPID COASTER ENTHUSIASS WHINING! Seriously, whether it's bitching about trims or lockers or front of line passes/Qbots or ride names or other nonsense, I don't think I've encountered more self-entitled people outside of Los Angeles. Seriously, how hard is it to appreciate what parks do for you, especially at an event? Like Robb, I was offended by people booing the management at KD just because they wouldn't jump up and remove the trips because some asshats wanted it done NOW. I realize that the people always bitching about stuff are a small minority and all, but seriously, not everything is a giant conspiracy to screw people that like coasters. Some people really need to learn how to have fun...

dt

How about prices at the major chains creeping upwards?

Disney, Busch, Sea World, Universal, oh, and SF's has been "adjusting" flash pass prices at several parks.

SF's getting rid of the funatic's program. Sure it was cheesy, but it did what it was designed to, brought people back in to the park while giving away free or upgraded parking, free beverage, bring a friend, discount on next year's SP (off the regular price we found out, not the buy it ahead of time price) Rewards programs do work when ran correct and they for sure weren't losing much money with it, but it was a cost, so out it went.

People who complain about people who complain about people who complain who complain about getting hung with a new rope.

*Edit*

Being lied to by Kat and Harrold

Edited by chadster

[quote name="Chroniq". The biggest disappointment of 2010 was not being able to put our hands up on the kiddie coaster at Go Karts Plus. I dare not get the whistle, so I did not do it. But I KNOW someone did.

If you are referring to me, then I hereby boycott Go Karts Plus for eternity. The trims on that ride were terrible..

Oh Hey Mike Moody .. Happy Birthday Man!

Nice job with everything above.

My personal disappointments were

1. Colossos being down during our Heide Park trip (and I understand that it wasn't down just for a day or two), and

2. I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the failure of Battlestar Gallactica at Universal Singapore to keep it's seats on the trains! Shades of Ghost Town In The Sky...

3. Finally, the announced demolition of Eagles Fortress. I know this was a long time coming, but the final nail hurts the most.

PS Thanks to those who are speaking truth to NYC and Zamperla. Luna Park is, I'm sorry, pretty lame, and they're managing it in a way that would make Joe Sitt and Thor Equities proud.

Here's my full list of complaints from most parks I've visited this year....

SF Great America, Silver Dollar City, SF St. Louis - None! Keep doing what they've been doing forever!

Worlds of Fun - As much as I did enjoy Patriot and Timberwolf, there wasn't much at the park to do... Do they even have any shows!?? Prowler was a huge letdown (Especially when it was the best new major attraction of 2009, hello!!! Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket, Manta!!) There isn't much detail in the park, but I love how Panda Express was next to Spinning Dragons.

Adventureland - Like above, I did have fun, but some disappointment. The park does has some awesome rides that now many others have, the mini Frisbee and the Paratrooper, but they didn't have too many up to date rides, not even a new-ish coaster. Sure, one could love the old amusement park feel, but when that's all you got, I found the park a little bland.

Indiana Beach - Lost Coaster was down most of the season (but not when TPR was there!) and it was probably the coaster I was looking forward too the most at the park.Yeah, I had loads of fun at the park, and wouldn't mind coming back (to any of these parks for that matter)

Mount Olympus - The fastest growing Monopoly in the amusement industry. They're just taking over Wisconsin Dells!!! Horrible operations, but I sure did love Hades.

Holiday World - This was actually the first time I ever saw a park close a line up, on purpose, just so everyone would be cleared by the time the park closed. They closed of Voyage a whole 45 minutes before the park closing. Now, I wouldn't have found this a problem if I have been warned of this, and could have gotten another ride on Voyage. Not sure if they usually close of the Thanksgiving section of the park first, since it's in the back of the park.

But all in all, every park I went to, I had way more *FUN!!!* than I did being disappointed!

Intimidator 305 was my biggest disappointment, not because of the trims, but because it just wasn't much fun for me. I was hoping for something closer in style to Maverick, only bigger. The snap turns were too sharp for me, and I had to ride so defensively that it seemed like a chore. At least the soft harnesses were comfortable -- I shudder to imagine how it must have been with hard restraints.

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit and its spotty performance.

Half of Universal Studios Singapore not being open in working order.

One more year of a completely dead Pleasure Island.

Coca-Cola Freestyle Machines not having Fanta Melon.

The Bryan and Adam Show still being on an extended hiatus...

Omaka Rocka at Aquatica having the speed pads installed.

Orlando Thrill Park being announced.

Knight Valley's GCI not being built in Florida.

elecTRONica not coming to Walt Disney World.