TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Places to Stay in Sandusky

Hello one and all,

A buddy and I are making a trip to Cedar Point in early May (18th - 20th) and are looking for recommendations on hotels in the area. We aren't looking for the nicest place, but as my buddy says "I'm not looking to get stabbed." Anyone have any ideas for us? Also, any good restaurants? One last question, know of anywhere that sells tickets to CP at discounted rates?

Thanks for the help!

Bryan from VA

sidenote, i305 - amazing.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a hotel snob or anything, but the on-site lodging has always seemed rather outdated, poorly kept, and overpriced, compared to what you can get near the park. I've stayed at both the Fairfield Inn and Suites and the Best Western (although it was a Comfort Suites when I stayed there) and both were reasonably priced and nice, not to mention in the better parts of the town.

And if I recall, they've built a ton of strip malls all around the hotels I mentioned above with just about every chain restaurant you can think of, which was good because on my visit prior to that, all that seemed to be around was fast food.

There's a cheaper hotel in the area that I stayed in. It was pretty bare minimum when it came to the actual rooms, but the thai restaurant was amazing! Since you're only staying there for a couple of nights, it might be just fine for you. By the way, do NOT go to the McDonalds on your way towards CP. It's disgusting.

http://www.southshoreinn.com/

Here's the deal - it might be more expensive, but the cost balance of staying at Breakers or Breakers Express with the added value of getting into the park EARLY is well worth the additional cost.

I would look at your budget, look at those hotel prices and what early entries they are offering for your time frame, and see if you can make it work.

We've done this almost every time we've got to Cedar Point and the time you'll saving even just being IN THE PARK before the crowd hits...it's so worth it.

--Robb

Plus parking is free for the on-site hotels, they charge you at the gate when you go in but the hotel re-imburses you, so that's another $10 or so in savings. I'm not sure if it is the same deal with Breakers Express.

I've found with Hotel Breakers, if you get in and book early, you can grab one of their cheapest rooms. Also check for discount vouchers at the CP website and in the Getaway Guide.

Also, the CP hotels sell CP tickets at significant discounts.

By the way, do NOT go to the McDonalds on your way towards CP. It's disgusting.

I second that. I once ordered a Big Mac and there was a sticker inside it (like a paper sticker)...

It got me my money back and a free milkshake though!

If you're going for the whole "Cedar Point experience" and money is no object, the Breakers is a wonderful experience. It's close to absolutely everything and the rooms are well kept with great views of the coasters (depending on which room you get). If money is a little tight, Breakers Express is also a great pick. Early entry, free parking, walking distance to EOC, etc...all of the other motels are pretty much livable quality, although I wouldn't say they are nice. If you're thinking of staying off point, I'd suggest finding a place near the mall or Wal-Mart, simply because they are closer to everything in Sandusky (such as places to eat food that is cheaper than in the park).

We've done this almost every time we've got to Cedar Point and the time you'll saving even just being IN THE PARK before the crowd hits...it's so worth it.

500% Agreed. You can get more rides in before 10am than you can between the hours of 12 and 5. Especially on Raptor or MF. This depends on which rides the Point chooses to be open for early entry, of course. It changes year to year.

Even though I know I'm restating what others have said, the CP hotels are well worth the price. If you're looking for a less expensive hotel, try Breakers Express. It's nice for the price. If you want to spend more, go for Hotel Breakers. Being on the peninsula within walking distance of the gate is simply great!

However, if you don't want to stay at one of the CP hotels, do NOT stay at the Econo Lodge across the way. It's filthy, stinky, and just plain awful.

Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I just called up to cedar point and they said the rates will be available mid February. Looks like the Breakers or Breakers Express is going to be a great option. What have you all paid in the past? We are also flying to Chicago because the park is only half the trip.

Random question. How busy does the park get right at the beginning of the season? We are going to be there Thursday and Friday of the first full week the park is open.

Thanks again.

@Robb, thanks for putting together such an awesome site.

Get hold of one of their getaway guides, it comes with a good bit of "coopuns". Available from their website, calling 1-800-best-fun, or see guest relations at the front entrance.

Someone help me out here, does Breakers Express get all the perks of the other CP Resorts such as early entry and free parking?

We've stayed at the South Shore Inn the last couple times. It's right by the entrance to the causeway and takes about 5 minutes to get to the park. It was half the price of staying at Cedar Point. In the past we used to stay at the Sandcastle Suites as we have a family of 5 but the price was getting ridiculous. It was up to $249 2 years ago for one night. It was $179 two years before that. South Shore Inn ended up being $119 per night for a 2 room suite which was much larger than the suites at Sandcastle.

We get CF Platinum passes which include the early ride time and free parking so I find no need to stay onsite.

Jim

We've stayed at the South Shore Inn the last couple times. It's right by the entrance to the causeway and takes about 5 minutes to get to the park. It was half the price of staying at Cedar Point. In the past we used to stay at the Sandcastle Suites as we have a family of 5 but the price was getting ridiculous. It was up to $249 2 years ago for one night. It was $179 two years before that. South Shore Inn ended up being $119 per night for a 2 room suite which was much larger than the suites at Sandcastle.

We get CF Platinum passes which include the early ride time and free parking so I find no need to stay onsite.

Jim

I stayed here the first time I ever went to Cedar Point. If you choose to not stay on the peninsula or Breakers Express, this hotel is the way to go.

Here's my idea: if you don't mind the driving, then I would recommend staying at a Motel 6 in Lorain/Amherst. That hotel is only 30 minutes away from Sandusky, plus there are plenty of good restaurants near the hotel (and not to mention plenty of gas stations). Another bonus, it's near the entrance and exit ramps of Highway 2 (just like Sandusky). While you could spend at least $100 per night in a hotel in Sandusky, you'll spend less than $50 per night at Motel 6 in Lorain/Amherst.

(Shameless plug) Whenever I travel from one park to another park, I always use Motel 6!

"And I know the pillows that work there as well. They all say that it's a great place to lie down for for the night!"

While you could spend at least $100 per night in a hotel in Sandusky, you'll spend less than $50 per night at Motel 6 in Lorain/Amherst.

Right. But you won't get any of the extra perks. For me Cedar Point is one of those parks where it's really nice to have a hotel close by. Get there early, use the early entrance they offer, bang out a crap load of rides in the first 2-3 hours, head back to your hotel around 1pm, during the "peak time of the day", and head back to the park around 4ish and the ride the rest of the evening.

Again, it's all what you are looking for and what's a priority for you. For some people it's cost of the room, for some people it's perks and convenience. You just gotta figure out what's important to you.

--Robb

One thing to keep in mind with on site perks is those same perks (free parking, early entrance) are also included in a CF Platinum Pass, so you can get the perks without paying their onsite rates if you don't mind having to drive to get to the park. As was said its pretty essential to use those perks to get the most of your day. On my first day this past May I was able to get two rides on Raptor (one front row), one on Iron Dragon, and was just stepping off Maverick right at regular opening time.

I'm pretty sure we are going to stay on property. After hearing all the pluses, it just makes sense. Also, we are only going to be there for two days, so that extra time to get on the big coasters will be worth every penny.

Thanks for all the great recommendations!