TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official West Coast Bash 2011 Thread - SFMM & KBF

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last fall I had a significant birthday (60) and thought that a great way of celebrating would be to ride some rollercoasters. There are no big parks near where I live in Canada but I have visited Six Flags over Texas in Dallas and Canada's Wonderland back in the early days. And I have fond memories of the old 'Flyer' wooden coaster that was at the Canadian National Exhibition grounds in Toronto. Sadly, it's since been torn down.

I have been unable to talk any of my friends into going to L.A. to visit MM. But the WCB seems a good way to take in both of these parks in one weekend. I'm wondering if you get people coming solo and whether you maybe have a way of matching people up. Frankly I'm a bit of a moderate where coasters are concerned. Some are just way to scary to consider and I'm kinda afraid of heights. So I would likely be up for riding some of the coasters but certainly no all of them. I can check out the TPR YouTube channel to figure out what I might be up for.

Any thoughts appreciated. Would this be a waste of my time? Would people make fun of me for not wanting to ride anything that goes up TOO high?

Harold

Anyone heading to WCB from the NY/NJ area?? Thinking about coming, but I'm kind of nervous about attending the event alone.

Trust me, you should make friends. The first year(2008) I flew out there alone from Dallas. I met a great guy from Long Beach and we plan WCB togther every year now. This year I will spend 10 days and well do alot of other stuff. Can't wait to go tour Angel stadium...(with my Texas Ranger shirt on) LOL

I have been unable to talk any of my friends into going to L.A. to visit MM. But the WCB seems a good way to take in both of these parks in one weekend. I'm wondering if you get people coming solo and whether you maybe have a way of matching people up. Any thoughts appreciated. Would this be a waste of my time? Would people make fun of me for not wanting to ride anything that goes up TOO high?

We get this question all the time about our events and trips. People come solo the events, and they sign up as single for our trips all the time! The group is EXTREMELY outgoing and open. You'll have people who are insane and ride everything until their head explodes, you'll have people to just like to take it easy, hang out, take in a ride or two and relax.

Basically, what I'm saying is this, unless you're REALLY socially awkward and introverted, you should have absoultely NO PROBLEM finding people to hang out with. In fact, chances are, you might even find multiple groups to hang out with!

And oddly enough, even some of our most introverted people, ending finding people to hang with! They sort of find each other!

It's never been a problem on a TPR trip or at an event.

--Robb

Basically, what I'm saying is this, unless you're REALLY socially awkward and introverted, you should have absoultely NO PROBLEM finding people to hang out with. In fact, chances are, you might even find multiple groups to hang out with!

And oddly enough, even some of our most introverted people, ending finding people to hang with! They sort of find each other!

--Robb

Thanks for the encouragement, Robb. I'm going to go and check on airfares right now.

Harold

Edited by robbalvey

A belated happy 60th birthday Harold! I'm sure you'll have a great time and meet plenty of nice folks to hang out with. While I do come to WCB with family and friends, we usually hang out with different groups or individuals for at least parts of our days. Everyone that I've met from TPR has been very friendly. It's a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. No one is going to give you any static if you don't care to ride any particular coasters. See you at WCB! Be sure to say hi and feel free to hang out as long as you'd like.

I don't know how I missed this thread! I'm all signed up and ready to go for both days! WCB is absolutely incredible! I will probably stay at the Holiday Inn in Valencia on Friday night, The Holiday Inn or Knotts' Hotel on Saturday and Sunday nights unless I can bum a stay with some of my local TPR friends! Sorry, but as of now, everyone is stuck with only me attending because Amy probably won't be able to make it as she is ditching me the next week to go on some stupid Australia trip

Harold, I agree that you will certainly find people to hang with... I haven't been to much in the way of TPR trips, but I have attended a few coaster events, and people are always super-friendly! I highly doubt anyone would give you grief for choosing which coasters to enjoy. Everyone is there to have fun!

An event like this I think would be perfect if you want to check either of these places out. It certainly sounds like TPR puts together really well-planned, fun events, which would make for a great weekend riding coasters!

Thanks, Mechanic. I've just now made reservations to spend a week in L.A. (which I've never visited before) and attend the WCB. I'll be sure to watch for you and your friends.

A belated happy 60th birthday Harold! I'm sure you'll have a great time and meet plenty of nice folks to hang out with. While I do come to WCB with family and friends, we usually hang out with different groups or individuals for at least parts of our days. Everyone that I've met from TPR has been very friendly. It's a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. No one is going to give you any static if you don't care to ride any particular coasters. See you at WCB! Be sure to say hi and feel free to hang out as long as you'd like.

We get this question all the time about our events and trips. People come solo the events, and they sign up as single for our trips all the time! The group is EXTREMELY outgoing and open. You'll have people who are insane and ride everything until their head explodes, you'll have people to just like to take it easy, hang out, take in a ride or two and relax.

--Robb

This is absolutely true. I went into a TPR trip, a bit nervous and came out of it, incredibly moved. To the person, everyone was super friendly. It was easy to hang out with everyone, randomly. Different groups of people every day. Just be able to say hello and you will not be alone. TPR has become THE most welcoming group of people who love theme parks. Be open to the experience and you will have the best time.

Kevin

This is kind of a funny story in a semi insulting way. My friend is in no means a coaster nerd, he is a super jock and not the kind of person you'd expect at an event like WCB. He was expecting the nerdiest weirdest people(probably cause of me,lol) and at the end of the day he said something along the lines of "everyone was freaking awesome." He then went home and friended tpr on facebook! In other words were a cool group, as long as your not an ass.

This is kind of a funny story in a semi insulting way. My friend is in no means a coaster nerd, he is a super jock and not the kind of person you'd expect at an event like WCB. He was expecting the nerdiest weirdest people(probably cause of me,lol) and at the end of the day he said something along the lines of "everyone was freaking awesome." He then went home and friended tpr on facebook! In other words were a cool group, as long as your not an A$$.

I've always said that, while TPR members ARE dorks...the majority of us are the "cool end of the spectrum" as far as dorks go. It's pretty clear the die-hard, 'take the hobby WAAAAY too seriously', intense coaster nerds don't last here. Not meaning to be insulting to those who are die-hards, but TPR just isn't the place for them.

--Robb "We're the cool nerds." Alvey

^ I like your comic con analogy the best

Dave

You mean my Star Trek Convention analogy?

ACE Members = The die-hard, socially awkward obsessive fanatics that go to the Star Trek convention dressed as Vulcans and speaking Klingon

TPR Members = The dudes off to the side, drinking a beer, and laughing at the idiots speaking Klingon.

But we're all still dorky enough to be at the Star Trek convention to begin with!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Robb,

I just talked to Guest Releations at Magic Mountain and they told me it would be $39.99 to upgrade to a season pass, but a park entry ticket is required. Are we going to be given a ticket to enter the park with the West Coast Bash?