TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

Kind of a bummer that we're only supposed to rank 2010 steel coasters since a bunch of us just did the Australia trip and could certainly help the poll out. I wonder if an email to Mitch is in order to see if we can go through March 2011 at least.

I am totally planning on including all the coasters I've ridden up until the time that I have filled at the ballot. I just simply cannot be bothered to remember which ones I rode prior to Dec 31st and which ones I rode after. I mean, for example, I may have very well ridden Tatsu in 2011, but didn't in 2010. F**k if I know! But I'm including it!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a bummer that we're only supposed to rank 2010 steel coasters since a bunch of us just did the Australia trip and could certainly help the poll out. I wonder if an email to Mitch is in order to see if we can go through March 2011 at least.

I am totally planning on including all the coasters I've ridden up until the time that I have filled at the ballot. I just simply cannot be bothered to remember which ones I rode prior to Dec 31st and which ones I rode after. I mean, for example, I may have very well ridden Tatsu in 2011, but didn't in 2010. F**k if I know! But I'm including it!

Personally, I think it is an awesome idea to include the Aussie coasters, just because they haven't received all that much attention.

I think that if the coaster is on the ballot, then it's fair game. You would still include it in your rankings, just not list that you rode it "this year" (2010).

Ballot submitted! I used the Excel method for the first time. Here's hoping I did everything right!

I got to vote 68 coasters, a vast improvement over last year's 27!

01. X2

02. Aftershock

03. Goliath (SFMM)

04. Medusa

05. Tatsu

06. California Screamin'

07. Raging Bull

08. Mamba

09. Powder Keg

10. Mr. Freeze (SFStL)

11. Steel Hawg

12. Flight Deck (CGA)

13. Wildfire

14. Deja Vu

15. Silver Bullet (KBF)

16. Riddler's Revenge

17. Fav Powered Coaster (Fire in the Hole)

18. Patriot (WOF)

19. Montezooma's Revenge

20. Spongebob Squarepants

21. V2: Vertical Velocity

22. Steel Venom

23. Fav Vekoma Invertigo (Invertigo, CGA)

24. Scream!

25. Space Mountain (DLR)

26. Viper (SFMM)

27. Superman - Ultimate Flight (SFGAm)

28. Dragon (Adventureland)

29. Wild Thing (VF)

30. Vertical Velocity

31. Batman The Ride/Clone (B:TR, SFGAm)

32. Fav Spinning Mouse (Ragin' Cajun)

33. Ice Mountain Bobsled

34. Iron Wolf

35. Vortex (CGA)

36. Fav Wild Mouse (Psycho Mouse)

37. Dark Knight (SFGAm)

38. Thunderation

39. Quicksilver Express

40. Journey to Atlantis (SWSD)

41. Superman The Escape

42. Fav Half Pipe (Avatar Airbender)

43. Revolution (SFMM)

44. Big Thunder Mountain (DLR)

44. Matterhorn Bobsleds

46. Fav Windstorm (Windstorm, Fun Forest)

47. Fav Gerstlauer Spinn. (Big Spin, SFDK)

48. Sierra Sidewinder

49. Excalibur

50. Scandia Screamer

51. Fav Loop-Screw (Wild Thing)

52. Fav Zyklon Loop (Looping Thunder)

53. Fav Vekoma Boomerang (Boomerang, KBF)

54. Fav Vekoma Corkscrew (Corkscrew, Playland)

55. Fav Galaxi (Galaxi, Indiana Beach)

56. Fav Arrow Corkscrew (Corkscrew, Silverwood)

57. Fav Vek Susp Loop SLC (Kong)

58. Fav Tivoli (Pepsi Orange Streak)

59. River King Mine Train

60. Gold Rusher

61. Demon (SFGAm)

62. Demon (CGA)

63. Whizzer

64. Big Timber Log Ride

65. Fav Jet Star (Tig'rr)

66. Ninja (SFStL)

67. Fav Wildcat (Wildcat, Puyallup Fair)

68. Pony Express

I'm shuffling all the new coasters into the list right now, just copied and pasted Montu, Kumba, Nemesis, and Dutch Goliath to the top for insertion in the top ten.

One thing I find interesting about the ballot, is you really see how many parks have lots of clones by the number of individual coasters they have in there. For instance, Six Flags Great America has 13 coasters but only six individual coaster entries.

One thing I find interesting about the ballot, is you really see how many parks have lots of clones by the number of individual coasters they have in there. For instance, Six Flags Great America has 13 coasters but only six individual coaster entries.

Yeah, and Elitch's has four steel coasters and zero individual entries.

That steel poll is an effing chore!

Top 25:

1. Millennium Force

2. Intimidator 305

3. Maverick

4. X2

5. Storm Runner

6. Magnum XL-200

7. Top Thrill Dragster

8. Phantom's Revenge

9. Apollo's Chariot

10. Montu

11. Intimidator

12. Goliath (SFOG)

13. Diamondback

14. Incredible Hulk

15. Kumba

16. Nitro

17. Afterburn

18. Griffon

19. Sheikra

20. Manta

21. Alpengeist

22. Tatsu

23. Titan

24. Silver Bullet

25. Kraken

Bottom 10:

118. Roller Soaker (Hershey)

119. Favorite Boomerang

120. Favorite Tivoli

121. Trailblazer (Hershey)

122. River King Mine Train

123. Carolina Goldrusher

124. Favorite Powered Coaster

125. Ninja (SFOG)

126. Shockwave (KD)

127. Favorite Chance Toboggan

I'm about 70% done with my rankings, and I'll finish tomorrow. Because of how I fill these out, I've already got my top and bottom coasters done, it is mostly the C and D coasters I still have to do.

1. Intimidator

2. Dominator

3. Maverick

4. Griffon

5. Mystery Mine

6. Tatsu

7. Top Thrill Dragster

8. Xcelerator

9. X2

10. California Screamin'

11. Millennium Force

12. Medusa

13. Goliath

*My favorite wood (Apocalypse)

14. Apollo's Chariot

15. Afterburn

16. Volcano, the Blast Coaster

17. Riddler's Revenge

18. Alpengeist

19. Raptor

20. Magnum XL-200

(Insert B-rated coasters here)

(Insert C-rated coasters here)

(Insert D-rated coasters here)

72. Pony Express

73. Favorite Intamin Bobsled (Disaster Transport)

74. Cedar Creek Mine Ride

The steel poll was a bit interesting to fill out for me this year as this is the first time I have ever actually ridden every coaster I have ridden before, that is listed on the poll, this year. So my opinions are very fresh and accurate for this year.

Top 10:

1. Intimidator

2. Maverick

3. Phantom's Revenge

4. Apollo's Chariot

5. Goliath (SFOG)

6. Manta

7. Sheikra

8. Kraken

9. Rip Ride Rockit

10. Favorite Wooden

Bottom 5:

75. Nighthawk

76. Fav Vekoma Suspended Family

77. Ninja (SFOG)

78. Favorite Vekoma Invertigo

79. Shockwave

I just do not think people should rate the new Superman at SFMM, as if the change had happened already, when it clearly opened in 2011, and the poll is for 2010. I can understand for coasters that are virtually the same as a few months ago, coasters in Australia, but big changes like S:EFK or New Texas Giant should wait until next year, I think.

That would seem inappropriate for any rides which opened in early 2011 to be on the 2010 poll.

And for the steel supports question, there's a reason the Coney Cyclone isn't on the steel list and Gemini is.

^ I believe Elissa is referring to the low number of riders on the Aussie coasters in Mitch's poll last year. With the group just finishing up their trip, it could give those coasters more riders and make them eligible for this year's poll. The more riders each coaster gets, the more accurate placing can be made in the poll.

Edit: My top 10 in 2010.

1. Bizarro (SFNE)

2. Phantom's Revenge

3. Kumba

4. Ride of Steel

5. TTD

6. Maverick

7. Millennium Force

8. Storm Runner

9. Fahrenheit

10.Dueling Dragons/Montu

Just got done!

Top 25:

1. Favorite Wood (El Toro at SFGAdv)

2. Intimidator305

3. Bizarro (SFNE)

4. Millennium Force

5. Maverick

6. Superman Ride of Steel

7. Storm Runner

8. Kumba

9. Apollo's Chariot

10. Talon

11. Raptor

12. Fahrenheit

13. Montu

14. Dueling Dragons Fire

15. Nitro

16. Ride of Steel

17. Incredible Hulk Coaster

18. Goliath (LaRonde)

19. Dueling Dragons Ice

20. Manta

21. Dominator

22. Favorite BTR (Le Vampire)

23. Top Thrill Dragster

24. Kingda Ka

25. Hydra The Revenge

I ranked all my other 100 credits 26-30, then did a slightly difficult bottom 5 (I find the bottom 5 easier on the wood ballot):

31. Iron Dragon

32. Dark Knight (SFGAdv)

33. Shockwave (KD)

34. Hollywood Rockit

35. Vortex (CGA)

I really hope to see Intimidator305 do well in this year's poll. I only rode it with the trims, and it was still a huge hit with me. Bizarro was my #1 for years, but those new plastic trains kill the pacing for the last two-thirds of the ride. It can still be pretty awesome on a really hot day with a full train, but in cold weather, might as well call it Steel Force. Shame.

Done here.

Superman / Bizarro @ SFNE

Kumba

Goliath SFoG

Intimidator Carrowinds

Mindbender SFoG

can't quite remember the order of the rest of the top 10.

Love this stuff!!

David

Top 5:

1. X2

2. Montu

3. Kumba

4. SheiKra

5. Favorite Wood Coaster Any Park Anywhere (Terminator: Salv.)

Bottom 5:

33. Space Mountain

34. Whizzer

35. Journey to Atlantis

36. Dahlonega Mine Train

37. Viper

Some coasters end up on the bottom partially because of how I haven't been on them for a few years. Some got left out because I can't remember my experience on them at all.

I keep feeling like there are a few rankings I could've tweaked a little more! But overall I'm fine with my list.

The poll really brings to light my continued lack of quality credits. I have a lot of less-than-popular rides ranked highly.

That would seem inappropriate for any rides which opened in early 2011 to be on the 2010 poll.

That's not what Elissa said. She wasn't talking about a ride that opened in 2011 not being on the list, she was talking about a ride that opened in 2010 or prior, that she didn't ride in 2010, but she DID ride in 2011.

According to Mitch's poll instructions, there is nothing stopping you from including a coaster you rode AFTER 2010, but you should mark that you did not ride it in 2010. This is not a gray area, it's clearly stated in the ballot instructions:

Please change the first 'n' to a 'y' for each of the coasters you

have ridden. Change the second 'n' to a 'y' for each coaster you rode

in 2010. It is important that you mark ALL coasters you have ridden.

Marked all you have ever ridden 'y'

Marked all you rode this year 'y'

It does NOT, and I repeat DOES NOT say "marked all you have ever ridden in 2010 or prior". So therefore, all my 2011 coasters, I will absolutely mark "Y" if I have ever ridden them. Per the instructions, I would be lying if I marked "N"

I fully intend on including all the coasters we rode in Australia, even though I didn't ride them until 2011. When I have to select Y/N if I rode them in "2010", I'll choose "N", because I didn't ride them in 2010. But the ballot instructions tell me to include all the coasters I have "ever" ridden. It simply could not be more clear.

And for the steel supports question, there's a reason the Coney Cyclone isn't on the steel list and Gemini is.

You clearly don't get TPR's sense of humor, do you?

--Robb

That's not what Elissa said. She wasn't talking about a ride that opened in 2011 not being on the list, she was talking about a ride that opened in 2010 or prior, that she didn't ride in 2010, but she DID ride in 2011.

According to Mitch's poll instructions, there is nothing stopping you from including a coaster you rode AFTER 2010, but you should mark that you did not ride it in 2010. This is not a gray area, it's clearly stated in the ballot instructions:

It does NOT, and I repeat DOES NOT say "marked all you have ever ridden in 2010 or prior". So therefore, all my 2011 coasters, I will absolutely mark "Y" if I have ever ridden them, per the instructions.

I fully intend on including all the coasters we rode in Australia, even though I didn't ride them until 2011. When I have to select Y/N if I rode them in "2010", I'll choose "N", because I didn't ride them in 2010. But the ballot instructions tell me to include all the coasters I have "ever" ridden. It simply could not be more clear.

You clearly don't get TPR's sense of humor, do you?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Ballot in! Hurrah!

Top 5:

1. Favourite Wooden Coaster Anywhere (Voyage)

2. Millennium Force

3. Maverick

4. Goliath (La Ronde)

5. Behemoth

Bottom 5 List of Shame:

53. Favourite Vekoma Family Coaster Anywhere

54. Iron Dragon

55. Favourite Intamin Bobsled Anywhere

56. Favourite Vekoma SLC Anywhere

57. Favourite Zamperla Volare Anywhere

Top 10:

1. Favorite Wood Coaster Any Park Anywhere (El Toro)

2. Intimidator 305

3. Nitro

4. Kumba

5. Apollo's Chariot

6. Goliath (SFoG)

7. Revenge of the Mummy (USF)

8. Dueling Dragons-Fire

9. Kraken

10. Afterburn

Bottom 5:

1. Fav Vekoma Boomerang Any Park Anywhere **

2. Fav Vek Susp Loop SLC Any Park Anywhere **

3. Ninja (SFoG)

4. Anaconda

5. Shockwave

Edited by redfoot12

My poll results

COASTER NAME PARK LOC <-LEAVE

Supersonic Odyssey Cosmo's World MY,y,y,1

Space Mountain HK Disneyland HK,y,y,2

Tower of Terror Dreamworld AU,y,y,3

Superman Escape Warner Bros. Movie AU,y,y,4

Scooby-Doo Spooky Coa Warner Bros. Movie AU,y,y,5

Jet Rescue Sea World AU,y,y,6

Cyclone Dreamworld AU,y,y,7

Fav Spinning Mouse Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,8

Fav Vek Susp Loop SLC Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,9

Fav Galaxi Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,10

M Doohans Motocoaster Dreamworld AU,y,y,11

Fav Wild Mouse Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,12

Fav Loop-Screw Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,13

Fav Zyklon Any Park Anywhere **,y,n,14

Fav Half Pipe Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,15

Fav Vek Susp Family Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,16

Fav Powered `Coaster' Any Park Anywhere **,y,y,17

It does NOT, and I repeat DOES NOT say "marked all you have ever ridden in 2010 or prior". So therefore, all my 2011 coasters, I will absolutely mark "Y" if I have ever ridden them. Per the instructions, I would be lying if I marked "N"

It also is supposed to come out in January, not May. Having maintained the steel coaster list for 5 years or so, I filled out my list based on what I had ridden by the end of 2010.