TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

^Meaning what exactly? If your one experience with a Zac spin is during an ERT session, what else are you going to base your opinion on? When it came to Grona Lund's Insane in 2009, I fully expected to ride it once during ERT, and that would be it (not a "spinning ride" person). I ended up thinking the ride was great and rode it multiple times.

Just curious, since I don't think I've yet read any of those TR's and since I'm going there this year, is Insane really much better during ERT? Or was it just a matter of the fun of being with a bunch of friends on a crazy and new type of ride?

I know that that was the case during ERT on Inferno at Terra Mitica during the ACE Spain trip. Everyone was having an absolute blast on it. I don't think I've heard so much laughing on any coaster before. But I think that was more of a factor of it being a totally new type of ride for most of us. When you've ridden so many coasters, it's really refreshing to try something so totally new! But we also only got morning ERT on it (as was the case for most of the Spain trip, which wasn't any big deal, since they don't have ANY stand-out woodies there, unless you count the stand-out PAIN you get from riding them!)

Is Insane a ride I'll want to try to ride later in the day? I wouldn't have thought so, and probably wouldn't have even tried to, especially with the low capacity. But if people recommend it, of course I'll try to ride it later. I imagine we won't have late ERT on it, since if we do have late ERT it will most likely be on the new Gravity Group woodie. And even if it's included in the ERT, it might be hard to drag me away from a new GG woodie I'm not likely to be visiting again in the near future!

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *DO NOT* agree that in order for a ride to be one of the best in the world you HAVE to ride in under specific conditions.

To that end, I think it might have been Larry a few years ago who said, "Look, if you have to ride a coaster in a specific seat to NOT get your spine shattered, it's not a good coaster to begin with."

I *DO NOT* agree that in order for a ride to be one of the best in the world you HAVE to ride in under specific conditions.

To that end, I think it might have been Larry a few years ago who said, "Look, if you have to ride a coaster in a specific seat to NOT get your spine shattered, it's not a good coaster to begin with."

How did we end up talking about Furius Baco?

(Some day I'm gonna remember to hit the spell check button BEFORE posting!)

is Insane really much better during ERT? Or was it just a matter of the fun of being with a bunch of friends on a crazy and new type of ride?

I know that that was the case during ERT on Inferno at Terra Mitica during the ACE Spain trip. Everyone was having an absolute blast on it. I don't think I've heard so much laughing on any coaster before.

Assuming that Inferno is similar to Kirnu (I haven't been to Spain), Insane is a far, far more intense ride. Kirnu was a one-and-done for me. I rode Insane for the entire ERT session, which was challenging to do but entirely worth it.

David, spinning and Chuck usually don't mix very well, so I fully expected to be "one and done" with Insane. But I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. The group during the ERT probably did help a bit, too. Insane is definitely worth a try--short but intense.

Have a great time in Scandanavia. Here's a link to my Grona Lund TR, if you're curious.

Edited by cfc

One thing I've noticed about this discussion both here and or RRC is that most of those who thought that it WAS running well this year were at HoliWood Nights. Most of those who thought that it was not running well this year were not. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Voyage fanboys are more likely to make the trek out to HWN. I was at HWN in 2010 and thought that the Voyage was too rough and downright brutal to be enjoyable.

One thing I've noticed about this discussion both here and or RRC is that most of those who thought that it WAS running well this year were at HoliWood Nights. Most of those who thought that it was not running well this year were not. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Voyage fanboys are more likely to make the trek out to HWN. I was at HWN in 2010 and thought that the Voyage was too rough and downright brutal to be enjoyable.

This is also very true. I realize I'm in the minority, but I've ridden Voyage morning, noon, and night...even during and after a rain storm, and I still prefer Raven. If I was at any of the HWN events you'd find my butt firmly planted on the Raven throughout the entire night time ERT. Let the Voyage fans have their fun, that's what it's there for. Doesn't make them right or wrong, just means they like a different coaster than I do.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I realize I'm in the minority, but I've ridden Voyage morning, noon, and night...even during and after a rain storm, and I still prefer Raven. If I was at any of the HWN events you'd find my butt firmly planted on the Raven throughout the entire night time ERT. Let the Voyage fans have their fun, that's what it's there for. Doesn't make them right or wrong, just means they like a different coaster than I do.

--Robb

I used to be quite the Raven fanboy, though I admit to preferring Legend when it was running at its best. But I've been kind of disappointed in Raven on my last two visits. And I didn't get many rides on it on my previous visit to those, given the situation....

Has Raven been running slower since the incident, or have I just hit it when it hasn't been running well? All woodies have their up and down days. Legend seems to be see-sawing on my visits. This year it was ok; on my previous visit it was great!

You know, I almost wish that the three woodies there were all at different parks. I'd be more than happy to ride any of them for hours on end during any coaster event. Having them all at one park means I have to choose, although I did take a few rides on each during the first night of ERT. But at least it spreads out the lines. And one of the nice things about HWN is that we get two nights and six hours of ERT, so we can still manage to ride all three during ERT. Even if I weren't a Voyage fanboy, it's a pretty amazing package they give us!

(Oh, I'm just leaving myself open there, aren't I?)

Edited by David H

^ Raven was running BALLS OUT in 2007 & 2010 when we were there. The 2007 rides were probably *slightly* better, and in fact, I remember those rides being some of the best Raven rides I've ever had...even surpassing the buzz bar days! Legend, however, was running pretty bad in 2010 to be honest.

Edited by robbalvey

^ It's funny. We went the same years, and I didn't think it was running as well either year. And I went for the ACE Con and HWN. I seriously wasn't getting much airtime at all, even on the famous drop. And that was with only riding in the back seat. It was still a fun and great ride, but it definitely dropped on my list quite a bit over the two visits. It's still in my top 15, but from '99-'01 it was my #1, and it was in my top 4 until '07.

I guess it just goes to show how much woodies vary, and that sometimes even late night ERT rides aren't enough!

And you're definitely right about Legend. I'm still a big Legend fanboy (and was so glad at how well it was running in '07! I'd worried that it was ruined for good), but it wasn't a shade of its former self last year.

I'll admit I'm a Voyage fan. I also don't deny the fact that it is a very aggressive ride. In fact, after the first time I rode it in 2008, I described it as the most intense, unforgiving coaster I'd ever been on. My only trips to HW were for HWN.

I think I like it for its variety of elements. The outgoing hills are good, the tunnels, the 90-degree banked turns, the underground triple-down and the station fly-by.

I love the Raven and Legend as well. I love the fact that the Legend literally squeals on parts of the track. It's grown on me too, as at first I didn't really like it.

I admit I don't have a lot of woodies under my belt, but, with few exceptions*, I find something to enjoy in all of them.

*Mean Steak, Timber Wolf, The Boss

As to your last question of why I'd base my rankings on non-normal conditions, because that's the ONLY time I've ever been there? Which makes it normal enough for me! Seriously. Every time I've ever been to Holiday World, it's been for Stark Raven Mad, an ACE Convention or HoliWood Nights. Those were very deliberate choices. The same could be said of Alabama Adventure, Silverwood, Knoebels and a bunch of others. For most parks, it's not that big of a deal to get there for an event and/or to get nighttime ERT. But for some parks and woodies, I'd consider it a must.

I'm not sure PPP is really optimal for Phoenix -- Phoenix is noticeably more sluggish during the day at PPP than it is in the height of summer.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I've ridden Voyage morning, noon, and night...even during and after a rain storm, and I still prefer Raven. If I was at any of the HWN events you'd find my butt firmly planted on the Raven throughout the entire night time ERT. Let the Voyage fans have their fun, that's what it's there for. Doesn't make them right or wrong, just means they like a different coaster than I do.

--Robb

I used to be quite the Raven fanboy, though I admit to preferring Legend when it was running at its best. But I've been kind of disappointed in Raven on my last two visits. And I didn't get many rides on it on my previous visit to those, given the situation....

Has Raven been running slower since the incident, or have I just hit it when it hasn't been running well? All woodies have their up and down days. Legend seems to be see-sawing on my visits. This year it was ok; on my previous visit it was great!

I think Raven just suffers in comparison to Voyage. Legend as well, really. Voyage has better air and a wilder layout than Raven and better laterals than Legend, and both seem like one-trick ponies in comparison. (And for my tastes, Raven always seemed on the short side)

Similarly, Gemini seemed fast until Magnum showed up until MF showed up until TTD showed up.

During the TPR trip last summer, Raven was definitely running the best of the three, but it still felt a little "off" from my 2007 rides. Nothing to do with comparing it to Voyage, since I rode it first of the coasters in the park. I am a Voyage fanboy, but try as I might, I couldn't really excuse the BEATING it gave us this summer. I only rode it three times in a full day at HW (which says ALOT.) Legend, Legend, Legend... Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of laterals, therefore Legend isn't my cup of tea. This past summer, I rode it once. That is it. Dave Thomas and I rode together and seriously thought we heard spines snapping on that crazy ass right hand turn it makes before the helices. Love the look, love the theming, LOVE the wolf howl - but don't enjoy the ride as much as others.

Raven was just awesome (consistancy anyone???) Perhaps it felt "off" because my prior rides on it were mostly at night. Still a great ride, but not being familiar with the layout, and just flying through the dark...mmmmmmm

As to your last question of why I'd base my rankings on non-normal conditions, because that's the ONLY time I've ever been there? Which makes it normal enough for me! Seriously. Every time I've ever been to Holiday World, it's been for Stark Raven Mad, an ACE Convention or HoliWood Nights. Those were very deliberate choices. The same could be said of Alabama Adventure, Silverwood, Knoebels and a bunch of others. For most parks, it's not that big of a deal to get there for an event and/or to get nighttime ERT. But for some parks and woodies, I'd consider it a must.

I'm not sure PPP is really optimal for Phoenix -- Phoenix is noticeably more sluggish during the day at PPP than it is in the height of summer.

In the case of Phoenix, it's more a matter of wanting to be at Knoebels as a whole during PPP than just wanting the best rides on Phoenix. Also, Phoenix isn't a top coaster for me (both Knoebels woodies, at their best, lie just outside my top 20.) So it's less of a concern for me to get the absolute best rides. Especially when I've been there enough times to get a good sense of what each coaster is capable of. And, again, I rarely ride woodies during the day, except if I need the credit. I'll usually grab a ride or so on each of them during the day, but that's about it, mainly because there's so much else to do there during the day. (And because I usually sleep late, too!) So it's less important to me to get decent day rides.

But for Rampage and Tremors, which are both currently in my evolving top 5, nighttime ERT is a must!

I think Raven just suffers in comparison to Voyage. Legend as well, really. Voyage has better air and a wilder layout than Raven and better laterals than Legend, and both seem like one-trick ponies in comparison. (And for my tastes, Raven always seemed on the short side)

Similarly, Gemini seemed fast until Magnum showed up until MF showed up until TTD showed up.

Well, with Legend, I actually really enjoyed what it was doing on my previous visit in 2007, even with Voyage at the other end of the park. In fact, I even took a bit more than an hour out of ERT on the first night to ride it a bunch of times (along with a quick couple of rides on Raven), knowing that I was taking time away from Voyage. I did the same in 2010 on the first night, but only took a few rides on each, since neither was running as well.

As for Raven, I don't think it was just that I didn't enjoy it in comparison to Voyage. I'd argue that the airtime on Raven at its best on that fifth drop is more pronounced and stronger than at any moment on Voyage. And there were always several other moments of quite good airtime. But on both of my last visits, it just wasn't really there like it used to be.

As to Magnum, I still prefer it to either of the later rides that are faster. Neither has airtime like Magnum does, especially in seat 3! I still think that Raptor and Magnum are the best rides in the park.

• 4 weeks later...

Great News Everyone!

THE 2010 STEEL BALLOT HAS BEEN RELEASED

TPR STRONGLY supports this poll! Your opinion counts no matter if you have ridden five roller coasters, or are a credit whore with a count over 1000! Most importantly, the results are accurate!

Vote now at http://www.bestrollercoasterpoll.com

The actual Ballot is here: http://www.ushsho.com/steelballot2010.txt.

The Excel version is here: http://www.ushsho.com/steelballot2010.xls

The very nifty guide to help you out is here: www.ushsho.com/steel_instructions_2010.txt

And, as always, TPR's ever helpful, awesome, useful Idiot's Guide is here: http://themeparkreview.com/mitch.htm

You have until MAY 5TH to submit your Steel Ballot.

NOTE: Looks like the deadline has been extended until Sunday, May 8th! Hooray!

Mitch is behind in votes this year, so vote and get your fellow coaster geeks to vote!

My Ballot

~"Big-M"

RANK THE FOLLOWING RIDING SENSATIONS <-LEAVE

Abrupt Airtime____________________________ y, y, 1

Floating Airtime___________________________ y, y, 2

Lateral Forces_____________________________ y, y, 4

Out of Control Feeling/Directional Changes_ y, y, 3

Positive G's/Loops_________________________ y, y, 4

Sensation of Speed_________________________ y, y, 4

COASTER NAME PARK LOC <-LEAVE

Favorite Wood Coaster Any Park Anywhere ** y, y, 1 (Boulder Dash)

Maverick Cedar Point OH y, n, 2

Bizarro SF New England MA y, y, 3

Millennium Force Cedar Point OH y, n, 4

Diamondback Kings Island OH y, n, 5

Top Thrill Dragster Cedar Point OH y, n, 6

Magnum XL-200 Cedar Point OH y, n, 7

Nitro Six Flags Great Ad NJ y n, 8,

Raptor Cedar Point OH y n, 9,

Bizarro Six Flags Great Ad NJ y, n, 10

Batman - Dark Knight SF New England MA y, y, 11

Gemini Cedar Point OH y, n, 12

Fav Wildcat Any Park Anywhere ** y, n, 12

Mantis Cedar Point OH y, n, 12,

Wicked Twister Cedar Point OH y, n, 12

Iron Dragon Cedar Point OH y, n, 12

Vortex Kings Island OH y, n, 13

Fav Wild Mouse Any Park Anywhere ** y, n, 13

Cedar Creek Mine Ride Cedar Point OH y, n, 13

Great American Scream Six Flags Great Ad NJ y, n, 13

Fav Loop-Screw Any Park Anywhere ** y, n, 14

Fav Vek Susp Loop SLC Any Park Anywhere ** y, y, 15

Fav Vekoma Boomerang Any Park Anywhere ** y, y, 16

Edited by Big-M

Yay, haven't looked yet, but I wonder if Texas Giant got on there given a few have ridden it already.

Given Voyage's structure is primarily steel, maybe it should be on the steel poll - stir, stir.

This will be an interesting poll for me, lot of additions, and at least few newbies to mt top ten.

Kind of a bummer that we're only supposed to rank 2010 steel coasters since a bunch of us just did the Australia trip and could certainly help the poll out. I wonder if an email to Mitch is in order to see if we can go through March 2011 at least.

Moving quick and already sent mine in. 72 steel coasters included this year on my ballot.

Top 5:

1. Maverick @ Cedar Point

2. Incredible Hulk @ Islands of Adventure

(Favorite Wood Coaster)

3. Diamondback @ Kings Island

4. Phantom's Revenge @ Kennywood

5. Magnum XL-200 @ Cedar Point

Bottom 5:

68. Trailblazer @ Hersheypark

69. Favorite Zyklon Loop

70. Favorite Galaxi

71. Favorite Zyklon

72. Favorite Vekoma Suspended Family

Only change for my top/bottom was the addition of Hulk at #2. Top 10 changed quite a bit, however, with five new-for-me coasters.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten my email yet. Well, I don't need it now!

I can't wait to fill out my ballot and compare my steel count to the number of coasters I actually get to vote! Since I'm such a credit whore it'll probably be a pretty depressing ratio again.