TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

Ignoring the fear of the wrath I'll receive if I once again criticize a new GCI coaster getting a high ranking I'll reiterate my post from last year.

GCI's always seem to rank high their first year then start to dramatically drop off.

So true - Over time Thunderhead (and Ozark Wildcat) are the only two GCIs that have bucked the trend by not dropping off dramatically.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I don't think any sane individual (read: someone not from Ohio or New Zealand) thinks it's going to ever reopen, or a poll like this would have an influence. Mostly what it is is people remembering the ride fondly and thinking of their best rides on it, when in reality if they were open today it would probably be ranked much lower.

Does anyone else think it's silly that SBNO coasters are still ranked? How can a coaster that didn't run in 2010 be the 9th or 20th best coaster of 2010?

Well the best sex you ever had might be with a hooker that's now dead, but that doesn't make the experience any worse.

Disclaimer: The above is not based on actual facts.

Does anyone else think it's silly that SBNO coasters are still ranked? How can a coaster that didn't run in 2010 be the 9th or 20th best coaster of 2010?

I see what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think the "of 2010" part is that literal. It's just an annually updated poll with the "new for *insert year here*" coasters added into the mix. If people don't think they should belong, then they won't vote for them. Coasters like Aska have given people such great experiences and fond memories, that they believe it's more than worthy to be included into the mix.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Well the best sex you ever had might be with a hooker that's now dead, but that doesn't make the experience any worse.

Yeah, but what if you tried to have sex with her now?

FBNO

My guess is the reason why Mitch does that is to at least help promote preservation to show the world "Hey! There is a top 20 wooden coaster sitting there... JUST SITTING THERE!!! GO GET IT AND BRING IT TO YOUR PARK!!!"

If anything, he probably does more for awareness than ACE does.

Also works the opposite in that based on seeing how a crappy ride like Big Dipper ranks in the polls, it doesn't deserve to be saved. (Although I'm sure Prince Desmond would disagree)

--Robb

I always find it interesting how the Beast at Kings Island ranks. It seems like in Mitchs poll it's always averagely rated coaster ( I didn't notice it's ranking this year just saw it wasn't in the top 20 or so) and in other polls it's a annual top 10. It's one of my personal favorites for sentimental reasons more than anything and I still rate it fairly high but it's seems to e a coaster that's kind of a love it or hate it ride.

^That's the beauty of polls: they are entirely subjective. While I personally don't agree with ranking a ride based on their BEST ride on it if subsequent rides are nowhere near as good, I am going to assume that is the main reason why Beast does so well in other polls.

I think SBNO coasters are there for the same reason "favorite steel coaster" is put in the rankings....to make the comparisons as accurate as possible.

Just because a ride is SBNO, doesn't mean it wasn't someones favorite coaster.

^That's the beauty of polls: they are entirely subjective. While I personally don't agree with ranking a ride based on their BEST ride on it if subsequent rides are nowhere near as good, I am going to assume that is the main reason why Beast does so well in other polls.

I think SBNO coasters are there for the same reason "favorite steel coaster" is put in the rankings....to make the comparisons as accurate as possible.

Just because a ride is SBNO, doesn't mean it wasn't someones favorite

Yeah good point, I just think it's interesting because I can't really think of another coaster wood or steel that has as much parity in it's ranking. Maybe Space Mountain, I know a lot of people who have that coaster in their top 5 or 10 for sentimental reasons or whatever reason but it never really shows up in the "major" polls.

Edited by robbalvey

I always find it interesting how the Beast at Kings Island ranks. It seems like in Mitchs poll it's always averagely rated coaster ( I didn't notice it's ranking this year just saw it wasn't in the top 20 or so) and in other polls it's a annual top 10. It's one of my personal favorites for sentimental reasons more than anything and I still rate it fairly high but it's seems to e a coaster that's kind of a love it or hate it ride.

I actually wanted to ask about the Beast (since the site is down for me and has been all day). Did anyone see where it was ranked? I have a different opinion of Beast than you I think so I'm wondering for a different reason . Besides X (Haven't ridden it as X2) and Magnum XL 200 (I like it but let's calm down a little bit... people act like this coaster can walk on water, cure aids and save puppies) I think the Beast is the most overrated coaster I've ever been on. After the excruciatingly painful first hill... I wanted to cry when I remembered that the ride was almost 5 minutes long.

RANDOM - One more question since I can't get on the site... where did Leap the Dips finish? Don't ask why, but I really want to know.

^The Beast was ranked 52.

I haven't ridden it yet and I'm really curious about what it will be like. I'm sure it will be nothing like the old reviews, but it seems like there are some aspects that should still be fun, like the tunnels and the woodsy setting.

Edited by cal1br3tto

It beat out a lot of much newer coasters. Then again... that's probably because those coasters hurt and I'd rather sit on a bench than ride something that's going to give me a massive headache. Still, good for leap the dips though. I really want to ride that one day.

Mitch Hawker's Wood Coaster Poll RESULTS!

179. The Grizzly - Great America

180. Anaconda - Walygator Parc

I wonder if Great America is throwing a party?

FBNO

Is that PG-13? I feel so dirty!

I didn't know this was a necrophilia forum - I thought that would be more an ACEr thing.

So how did my top twenty fare, I was a little out of wack but some coasters were especially good during ERT sessions like Rutschebabnen at Tivoli where the brakeman gave us fantastic rides:

1. Balder (Liseberg) #7

2. El Toro (SFGAd) #1

3. Phoenix (Knoebel's) #4

4. Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce) #3

5. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer) #5

6. Hades (Mount Olympus) #19

7. Thunderhead (Dollywood) #14

8. Raven (Holiday World) #21

9. Cornball Express (Indiana Beach) #35

10. Rampage (Alabama Adventure) #15

11. The Voyage (Holiday World) #6

12. Lightning Racer - L (Hersheypark) #34

13 Lightning Racer - T (Hersheypark) #36

14 Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend) #28

15. Thunderbird (PowerPark) #16

16 Silver Comet (Martin's Fantasy Is.) #45

17. Viper (SFGAm) #43

18. Hellcat (Timber Falls) #26

19. Rutschebanen (Tivoli Gardens) #61

20. Comet (Hersheypark) #101

Ah yes, always fun to do all kinds of crazy and random comparisons. Here's my top 20 and how they ended up:

01. Coaster - 32

02. Voyage - 6

03. Giant Dipper - 47

04. Timber Terror - 31

05. Evel Knievel - 24

06. Tremors - 17

07. Prowler - 12

08. Hades - 19

09. Legend - 41

10. Cyclops - 58

11. Tornado - 94

12. Hellcat - 26

13. Renegade - 18

14. Viper - 43

15. Coaster Thrill Ride - 64

16. Timber Wolf - 124

17. Cornball Express - 35

18. Raven - 21

19. Ghostrider - 59

20. Outlaw - 77

^You've got Prowler a little high there Laura, and many of your selections don't agree with myself - luckily I'm not the typical coaster enthusiast who would feel affronted by that.

In all seriousness, Coaster seems very underrated probably because many with a broad mutual ridership like myself haven't been on it. I find TPR tours often boost coasters like this because if it's a good coaster and a lot of people get to ride who have been on lots of other coasters, it gets up the poll. I'd love to ride Coaster personally, it sounds crazy.

Coaster sounds a lot like Phoenix, buzz bars and lots of airtime, would that be a representative comparison?

Coaster sounds a lot like Phoenix, buzz bars and lots of airtime, would that be a representative comparison?

Phoenix has more sustained airtime and more spots of air. Coaster has plenty of air but less than Phoenix. Coaster has more of laterals (but not rough like Coney Island Cyclone), out of control feel and without seat dividers you are sliding into your seatmate quite a bit.

Edited by larrygator

Prowler was intense! It had a lot of what I like in a coaster, more than just airtime.

I agree that Coaster is somewhat overlooked. It may be overshadowed by rides with more modern layouts. And if you're not an airtime fanatic, the crazy stand-up airtime won't mean as much to you as it does to me!

Speaking of the TPR boost, which I believe is real and not a bad thing, I did a quick 2-year comparison of the coasters I've ridden and noticed a few big changes, all for coasters on the Middle America trip:

Outlaw at Adventureland - up 18 to 77 from 95

This wasn't all that memorable for me, but I recall it had a good mix of average and above average airtime.

Screamin' Eagle at SFStL - down 17 to 86 from 69

This coaster was charming, and it had decent airtime and a nice setting, but nothing really made it seem special to me.

Tornado at Adventureland - up 18 to 94 from 112

This is an honorable mention for my top 10, and it's one of those coasters I feel awkward about liking so much. But I thought it was an above-average airtime coaster.

Timber Wolf at WOF - up 21 to 124 from 145

This was rough, but it was intense and had good airtime, and I was overall impressed with it.