TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

I've ridden 7 of the top 10 (lucked out on number 8), 5 of those 7 made my personal top ten. I rated X2, Montu, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kumba in my top ten which was a bit higher than the poll - just what I enjoyed personally. Though I'm confident that if I'd ridden Kawasemi, i305, and GeForce they would well up in my top ten.

I think the poll is fantastic, and Mitch seems to have weeded out a lot (if not all) of the fanboy rigging. Is it just me or does the fanboy fervour seem far greater for favourite woodies? Like I don't see the same levels of misguided devotion to any steel as there is to Prowler or Voyage.

Though I am disappointed that Robb didn't instruct Mitch to make Lethal Weapon at Movie World Australia number one*.

*please read disclaimer at the bottom of the page before taking this comment seriously.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^Haven't ridden either Superman or Bizarro, but I know for a fact that there are plenty of enthusiasts who enjoy Bizarro just as much if not more. It probably didn't NEED the retheme, but from riding NJ Bizarro, the effects are cool, and NE Bizarro is still the same ride. Just because you think it sucks doesn't mean it only ranks high because of it's past.

I rode three of the top 10, and I think that Bizarro is the best that I've ridden. I am so excited to ride it next sunday! That being said, I need to get out of the U.S and ride some more top-tier coasters in other countries.

I still had Bizarro rated as my #1 steel coasters, but it's not the same ride as before. It's the same layout, but the experience is slightly different. Whether that's for the better is all a matter of opinion. As for me, I prefer the pre-Bizarro.

Where are the Loops? Its interesting that for nearly three decades (mid 70's through mid-to-late 90's) nearly all "Major" Steel Coasters had loops. Now there are hardly any looping coasters in the Top 10 and the two that are Top 10 are both inverted.

Intamin is definitely my favorite manufacturer. The poll seems to have come out in trends this year. My favorite coaster, Millennium Force, is #7 and that's awesome. This just makes me more excited to ride Bizarro this summer.

EDIT: ^ Except Expedition Everest at #91

Edited by chickenbowl

Where are the Loops? Its interesting that for nearly three decades (mid 70's through mid-to-late 90's) nearly all "Major" Steel Coasters had loops. Now there are hardly any looping coasters in the Top 10 and the two that are Top 10 are both inverted.

I have a theory that if you threw in some intense loops into any of these hypercoasters at 180 feet tall or more, they would surely make the rides better.

I think the mix of multiple loops and 7-8 airtime hills is most certainly under-explored at this point. Which Is why I'm most intrigued by the Intamin blitz coaster's evolution. They seem to be exploring the avenue of "more of everything is better" and I think we'll see a big, top three hit delivered in the next 5 years.

Edited by Solid Gold

Poor Vekoma... Highest rated ride: #123, Stunt Fall. Lowest rated ride: #341, Goudurix (2nd lowest).

Big Thunder at Disneyland Paris is 104. That's a Vekoma ride.

Edited by cfc

HOW is Eejaneeka in the top 50???? If it was as bad as X...

I'm sad that California Screamin' didn't rate higher, I found the overall ride experience to be fantastic! (It's currently my #1) (also keep in mind that I've ridden coasters that are nearly all in CA)

Funny, I loved X2 (ERT during WCB 2010) and Eejanaika (well, the one ride I got before the *mist* pretty much closed the park) and pretty much despise California Screamin' and wonder why it's in the top 100. Different strokes...

I wish my Steel Eel fave got some more love, and Eagles Fortress just didn't get enough votes for its last SBNO year. Did it operate in 2010 at all? An Arrow in my top 10!

Let's see, I've got 8 of the top 10, 19 of the top 25, 41 out of the top 50. Must re-commit to the goal.

I am very suprised that Eejanaika made it into the top 50 over X2...

It's CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!!!! Someone clearly was trying to throw the poll!!! Who could it be??? Must start my witch hunt now. BURN THEM AT THE STEAK!!! (mmmm....steak!)

Intamin!!!!!!!!

This poll pretty much sums it up...if you want an awesome ride, go to Intamin!!!!

With Chunt on the horizon, and a bunch more American voters likely to go ape poop for the more accessible ZacSpin at SFMM this year, the poll results are unlikely to shift much.....and that's okay by me.

It's a shame that more people haven't had the chance to ride Formula Rossa.

I am very suprised that Eejanaika made it into the top 50 over X2...

It's CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!!!! Someone clearly was trying to throw the poll!!! Who could it be??? Must start my witch hunt now. BURN THEM AT THE STEAK!!! (mmmm....steak!)

Placing Eejanaika anwhere but in the bottom ten is the work of SATAN!

I can mostly agree with the results. I was honestly hoping that Intimidator305 would take the #1 or #2 spot, as I think it's a LOT better than Bizarro, but we'll see how it ranks next year once more people ride it in it's revised form.

I think it's funny with the B&M speed coasters, too, but the only thing I don't get is the placing of Apollo's Chariot below the top group. Maybe I got it on a REALLY good day, but I got nearly Intamin-quality airtime the whole ride, and I rank it several spots above my next-best speed coaster, Nitro.

question: in general, do coasters gain in the rankings over time as more people ride them, or do they generally debut at their highest point and then gradually fade as the hype shifts to newer rides? i wonder if i305 could move even higher once more people experience its current (outstanding) configuration.