TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Columbus Zoo announces MasterBlaster, Half Pipe for 2011

Those of you in the Columbus area may have seen Jack Hanna's Into the Wildlights live on WBNS-10TV Friday night

Executive Director Dale Schmidt announced that Zoombezi Bay would be adding a halfpipe slide and a MasterBlaster water coaster for 2011.

This comes on the heels of the very successful addition of Polar Frontier for 2010, which saw the return of polar bears to the zoo. The new polar bear habitat, along with a gorgeous new brown bear habitat, are said to be some of the best in the world. The new waterpark expansion should help to ease lines at the very popular destination.

This will be the 2nd MasterBlaster in Ohio, as there is one within Cedar Point's Castaway Bay indoor waterpark.

No artwork or names have been released yet.

Some Zoombezi Bay photos from my trips this year:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing...I have always wanted to visit this zoo as I have heard a lot of good things about it. The water park would be an added bonus!

You will NOT be disappointed with a trip here. I've posted several PTRs here that I'm sure you could look up, but every aspect of the zoo is world class. Between the Zoo, Zoombezi Bay, and Jungle Jack's Landing (credit!), it's definitely a 2 day affair.

I love the Columbus Zoo and the Polar Frontier addition was very well done.

Haven't been to Zoombezi Bay but it looks awesome from Jungle Jack's Landing. I still need my Sea Dragon credit.

A note to Cedar Fair: It's pretty sad that a zoo has a better looking water park, and is adding new slides, compared to what you've done to Wildwater Kingdom.

^I haven't been down to the Zoo since the year that Wyandot Lake was being converted to Zoombezi Bay, and I had honestly forgotten that they had added Polar Frontier as well! If they did as good of a job with that exhibit as they did with Australia and Asia(and it sounds like they did), I would be very impressed.

Haven't been to Zoombezi Bay but it looks awesome from Jungle Jack's Landing. I still need my Sea Dragon credit.

A note to Cedar Fair: It's pretty sad that a zoo has a better looking water park, and is adding new slides, compared to what you've done to Wildwater Kingdom.

Agreed G-Dog. (But then again, Cedar Fair *is* a zoo)

Agreed G-Dog. (But then again, Cedar Fair *is* a zoo)

I thought it was more of a country club?

Also of note from the clip, Zoombezi Bay has been contributing around $1 million a year directly to the zoo and their conservation efforts. That's pretty huge.

The water park (along with Jungle Jack's Landing) are set up under a separate "for profit" organization, and the profit generated is then donated to the zoo.

• 5 months later...

Construction update*

I was at the zoo yesterday for a job training and I was able to get a picture of the new halfpipe and MasterBlaster slide. The picture doesn't show it but the water piping isn't installed yet so I doubt it will be open for opening on Memorial Day. Anyway, the ride looks like it won't disappoint when it opens!

653835361_2011-05-0715_25_47.jpg.386b22afcd65abdcc6a5b35acc36ca58.jpg

Structure is about 60% done