TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ocean Kingdom in China

Has anyone found another POV? The video on the last page is now private.

Looks like a nice evolution of the wing coaster design, though contrary to what some are saying I think Gatekeeper looks better with a more complete layout.

I Set it to Private because the layout is completely Wrong,And I'm making a REAL One With Blueprint (BluePrint!! )

JDAHDGU6V3ZXLR.jpg.76b197b74b5ab24dea23d77f824bda8c.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't get "all the good B&Ms". Bolliger & Mabillard have only built two coasters in China besides this one, and all of the "good" B&Ms are still operating all over the world.

This looks like it could be the best wing rider! Why does Asia get all the good B&Ms now?

Because America is sue happy and parks are requesting less intense rides from them to appease the weak American public (this is also why we don't see too many Intamins being built in America along with their reliability issues).

They don't get "all the good B&Ms". Bolliger & Mabillard have only built two coasters in China besides this one, and all of the "good" B&Ms are still operating all over the world.

I've yet to ride a bad B&M... I would say all of them are good (even Vortex at CGA), just some not as thrilling or memorable as others.

This looks like it could be the best wing rider! Why does Asia get all the good B&Ms now?

Because America is sue happy and parks are requesting less intense rides from them to appease the weak American public (this is also why we don't see too many Intamins being built in America along with their reliability issues).

Well, we haven't seen the "sued for Vekoma/Arrow headbanging case", so I don't see why we have to be stuck with less intense coasters. If nobody has sued for headbanging, why would people sue for a bit more intensity? Many people go to an amusement park to ride intense coasters, and as long as signage clarifies the intensity, I don't see any more suing than the suing that is already going on.

Well, let's look at the B&Ms built over the last five years including what we know so far for 2013.

2009:

Diamondback (US)

Diving Coaster (China)

Manta (US)

2010:

Intimidator (US)

2011:

Hair Raiser (Hong Kong)

Krake (Germany)

Raptor (Italy)

Sky Scrapper (China)

2012:

Leviathan (Canada)

OzIris (France)

Shambhala (Spain)

Swarm (UK)

Wild Eagle (US)

X-Flight (US)

2013:

Gatekeeper (US)

"Flying Over the Rainforest" (China)

Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't look to me like the US is getting short changed in "good" B&Ms compared to any other country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe I'm still saying: "I know that Asia has great, stunning, rides. But I refuse to visit the area because of the knock offs and the culture." I've been told many things about Asian's (About Chinese the most) that now I'm just too stubborn to change those words. But Again great work. I love the work done here and Flying over the Rainforest looks like a great ride. Too bad I'm never going to here I'm regretting it already.

^ The Knock offs are true (they knock off EVERYTHING and they are getting better at it), but I wouldn't worry about the Chinese culture, the Chinese are very nice people and the country is rapidly changing (the cities are almost up to western standards and cities like Hong Kong are already there). However the food there is very odd (starfish on a stick anyone?) and there is still a lot of poverty in the country side. Anyways, back to Ocean Kingdom, I think it's great to see Chimelong expand as they are one of the best parks in China and to see them following the concept art for once.

^ the cities are almost up to western standards and cities like Hong Kong are already there.

Untrue. All mainland cities lag far behind western cities beyond the cosmetics of the large buildings. Unless you are staying at a 5 star hotel you are going to notice the difference. The country has some nice buildings/bridges, is constructing a train infrstructure and modern cars are becoming more prevalent but if you walk around the cities you clearly see the difference. The cities are growing quickly as uncultured people are moving from the farms in droves. The uncouth behavior of the newcomers to the cities was mentioned by the tour guides on many occasions. Not that is had to be mentioned, it was easy to see. Driving is insane there. Drivers treat laws as suggestions. Many areas are not just dirty but very unsanitary.

True. Hong Kong is the one exception in that in many aspects it exceeds western standards.

^ Yep you are right, the cities on the mainland are still behind western standards and have lots of poor areas but things are slowly but surely improving (China is going through what we did during our Industrial Revolution in a way). What I mean by almost up to western standards is the downtown areas, NOT the suberbs, the suberbs are still WAY behind but they are beginning to improve.

I remember how at one of our nice, 5-star hotels, our room had a beautiful view not only of the city, but also of the decrepit, decaying old high rise next door. It was such an odd mix of "new hotness" with "old and busted."

^ Yup I remember this too, when we stayed in our nice apartment in downtown shanghai we could see the wonderful skyscrapers and below was a cabbage market that would come out everyday and a rundown supermarket!