TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Black Friday

SharkTums

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to The Gap around 8:15am (none of this getting up early BS for me on a holiday weekend!) the place looked like it was hit by a tornado but it's to be expected for 50% off EVERYTHING. I got some really amazing stuff for KT and I. The checkout line was about 30 minutes which wasn't terrible for the deal so I left feeling pretty good.

I then walked in and right out of the Disney store as it was also insane, decided to call it a day, and head home! The rest of my shopping will be done online.

You?

My wife, daughter and Mother In-Law went at like 3am, it's a tradition for them. Not sure what all she got, but I know she got Josh a video game chair thing.

I do 90% of my shopping online and have been monitoring the Amazon "Lightning Deals" all day. Hoping to get COD: Black Ops on sale as that's at the top of Josh's list now that he can play those games.

My Black Friday haul from various stores:

Games (Xbox 360)

NHL 11 - $34.99 (got lucky, Best Buy had none left, and as I was checking out there was one copy lying on some random table)

Fable III - $39.99

Blu-Rays

Taken - $9.99

Book of Eli - $12.99

Boondock Saints II - $9.99

Predators - $9.99

Expendables - $19.99

Misc.

8GB Flash Drive - $14.00

1.5TB External HDD - $70.00

I hit the Navy Exchange at 4 a.m. and stayed for three hours. The first hour was really hectic but the crowds fizzled out quick. I got a new 5-qt KitchenAid Stand Mixer, some clothes and a few blurays.

I then went to Sam's Club at 8 a.m. and got me a new LED TV!

I just got back from Toys R' Us and Target. Toys R' Us was demolished and it looked like it was hit by the by the same asteroid that slammed into the Yucatan Peninsula 65 million years ago.

In general, Black Friday is an idea that eludes me... I'm all for saving money, but maybe I'm just a more traditional "coupon-clipper" kid of deal getter.

Already ahead of you. A lot of the stores at the mall had coupons in the previous Sunday Paper plus the BF deals. I saved 90% on some clothing items. Poor planning on their part, imho.

I went out to the mall with my family but didn't buy anything. The deals in the stores are never that great to me, since I look for bargains all year and Amazon some amazing deals. As an example, Target had Flingsmash with a Wii Remote for $39.99 today as a Black Friday special and Amazon had it yesterday for $29.99. Toys R Us had Uncharted 1 for PS3 as a door buster for $14.99, it was $6.00 last week at Toys R Us as a clearance price.

Saw some guy on the Buffalo news last night that got trampled trying to get into Target. Guess it made national headlines although I don't think he was seriously hurt.

As far as Black Friday, I stay as far away from that craziness as I can. I usually try to do most of my shopping online and if I need to go to the mall or any department stores, I go right after work on a weekday when crowds aren't that bad.

I am just amazed at these people that camp out in the cold for five nights just to save fifty bucks on a flat screen tv. The fact that they would give up Thanksgiving with their families to camp out for days in front of a store is pretty wild...unless of course they're doing it to get out of going to their families for Thanksgiving!

I am just amazed at these people that camp out in the cold for five nights just to save fifty bucks on a flat screen tv. The fact that they would give up Thanksgiving with their families to camp out for days in front of a store is pretty wild...unless of course they're doing it to get out of going to their families for Thanksgiving!

I never understood the logic behind that. I go shopping on BF, as I posted before, but going at 8:00am is plenty early for me. Those people who "camp out" could just get a job at McDonalds or something for 5 days and make more money than they're going to save...

^ I agree with most of the posters- no way I would be getting out of bed at 3:00 AM for ANY kind of deal! And I certainly would not camp out in a parking lot and then run the risk of getting trampled when they finally do open the doors. How could that be fun or worth getting a "deal"?

Perhaps they need a Q-bot type system at these stores for Black Friday?

Recently, I mentioned that I wouldn't mind getting a wide screen monitor for the computer (I'm using a 17" squarish tube one now and it works fine). But that's a want, not a need.

So at 3:30 Friday morning, I'm awakened by the Mrs.: "HEY! ERIC! COME LOOK AT THIS!" Apparently Office Max and Best Buy were having crazy sales on LCD and LED computer monitors. 20- to 23-inch ones. Nice, but I'm standing there about half awake while she's scrolling through catalog pages, all the while saying, "Look at this one...only $99!" or whatever. I pretty much said, "Yeah, fine" and went back to bed.

Then I got up the next day and went to SFMM.

Eric

EDIT: Just to add---the whole Christmas/holiday shopping thing has never appealed to me, even when I was a lot younger. It's just too crazy. I don't care if I get anything, and I'm tired of getting gifts for others who complain that it "isn't what they wanted" and so forth. Each year at this time, I just hope and pray that the year would get over with---fast.

The 3:00 A.M. store openings this year are just insane! Not only that, but it forces the employees to be at the store that early in the morning. THIS is why I never worked in retail!

I work at Target so I always get stuck waking up to work around 3AM, I hate it...But if I didn't work I'd never wake up that early or camp out all night, I'd rather pay a little more!

I only took advantage of TPR's Black Friday sale! (How could I resist?)

I've never done any serious Black Friday shopping, for reasons both practical and philosophical.

I have promoted Buy Nothing Day in the past, but I've realized that it's largely symbolic and somewhat contrived.

I had to work at 3:30am. Stupid retail! I opened our gate 30 minutes prior to the malls scheduled opening time and, HOLY CRAP!!! The store filled up so fast that I couldn't even walk through it. JC Penney was the only other store open at our end of the mall so people were just piling in.

The only Black Friday shopping that I did was in the TPR Online Store!

I work at Target too. But I've been lucky the last couple years I've worked there since I've never had to open on Black Friday. My shifts usually start in the afternoon and go until the store closes. But I heard all kinds of crazy stories from this year. Like there was almost a fist fight over some TVs we had on sale. Security was able to stop it before anything went down. But people just lose their minds!

I don't think I'll ever be brave/stupid enough to go out and shop early on Black Friday.