TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster should get the next Rocky Mountain treatment?

The first coaster I think of is Son Of Beast, I'm only speculating, but maybe that's why they haven't razed this pain train already in lieu of seeing how the Giant goes. Someone mentioned The Beast, that was awful when I rode it in 2007 (much worse than SOB the same day), some of my most painful moments on a coaster, ever, but I think that one probably needs a bit of wood coaster TLC.

I'm also pretty optomistic about the Texas Giant make over but we'll have to wait and see.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mean Streak came to my mind right away. Son Of Beast is the other one that seems to be getting steam. Shivering Timbers from what I hear might be able to use that, although I'm not sure how it would work with the "trick track" section. The other one I might vouch for is the Predator at Darien Lake, although it's not nearly as large as the other 3 mentioned and has from what I've heard, has improved alot with the new trains. It was awful when I rode it though.

Hades as well. Basically take any rough, unrideable but solid ride and make it fun again! If we're talking this crazy balls out completely new layout just keeping some basics, heck bring it to almost all of the mediocre woodies out there!

I have to agree with Elissa. I think the topper technology will probably be an easier (read cheaper) sell to parks. Fun but god awful rough coasters would be best served by it. Hades is the perfect candidate. Not that I think Mount Olympus would spend money on a coaster that they think is only rough on some days.

The coasters that come to mind: Gwazi, Mean Streak, Beast, but what really should get it is Ghostrider. I really think Ghostrider would blow minds with this. Personally, I would love Gwazi to get it too... but just because it's my home park, and I still have hopes for it. I agree with the Beast argument too.

I'm very excited to see where this technology goes. I think Europe will jump on this quickly.

Thank you for making this its own separate topic Robb.

Ghostrider and Colossus were definitely among the coasters that came to mind for me. I hope that smile when you mentioned Colossus does mean there may be plans afoot to bring some lost glory back to this once iconic ride. I do agree that we'll have to see how this works out on TG first. I'm very optimistic that it will work out well. It certainly "looks" great.

^ Your welcome (although I think it might have been Larry that originally did it). I did edit your original post a bit so it would make a bit more sense as it's own thread...and it's quite a good one! So thank you for giving us the inspiration to do so.

--Robb

Gwazi Lion was terrible when I rode it in October. Tiger was closed on the Tuesday (10/5) and Friday (10/8) when I visited.

If these re-builds catch on, there's going to be some mighty riled wood coaster purists, they'll be choking on their roast beef and gravy.

I agree Mean Streak is a basket case that could use this kind of work, they could call it Gemini - The Revenge. Some of the others just need some wood coaster work like GCI does, but I imagine in most cases (if any are being considered in reality), will come down to financial dynamics. They should do this to The Voyage just because the howls of the fanboys will be so loud I'll be able to hear them all the way down here in Sydney, so basically just for my amusement.

Its really strange to hear mid-sized woodies such as Grizzly needing RM treatment. I think many (MANY) woodies got rough when PTC added 200lbs extra, per car, with awful ratcheting lap bar hardware. That extra weight equates to magnified forces, etc.. Just look at all the extra pseudo-bents added to poor little CP Blue Streak (I will NEVER get over that one...)

The helix(s) on the American Eagle could definitely use these steel tracks. The ride has been a relatively smooth, top-bat-outta hell ride (other than the helices) for the past few years.

^ If you had ridden KD's Grizzly this summer, you would maybe retract that statement. (Sorry for the "KD Fanboy" defense)

Don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* the KD Grizzly. I like the setting, I like the layout, I like the intensity.

What I don't like is making a trek out there once every few years and having the thing be fantastic on this trip and unridable on the next, then good again the next time.

The topper track is supposed to keep all the things you like about a particular coaster, but give it the ability to have a consistently good ride experience year after year. Grizzly could sure use that, as could Ghost Rider and a host of other rides already mentioned in this thread.

As for the post that mentioned changing Beast's layout, I don't think you'd need to. One of the charms of that ride is that it's so different than other coasters. Rather than rely on steep drops, airtime, and other standard fare for thrills, it feels like a train ride through the woods gone batshit crazy. If you were to replace those rails just like they were on opening day, remove all the brakes, and let that bad boy run full-tilt from start to finish, you'd have a top ten coaster on your hands. It would still "feel" like the Beast that put KI on the map but without the maintenance headaches. It could even run with the same trains.

What nobody has really hit upon yet, though, are the classic rides that get rough sometimes: KW Thunderbolt, Coney Cyclone, Blackpool's Grand National, etc etc etc... I think that for the sake of preserving the traditional wood coaster experience, classic rides such as these should be kept in their original format - and well maintained.

^to conclude on the Grizzly, KD Maintenance did something wrong when they rehabbed the Orange train this past winter. I don't think there is anything wrong with the track itself apart from the PTC's. What I would like to see is the replacement of PTC's from every coaster. I believe SCSteve has said he predicts them being removed in the somewhat soon future... (Mellienium Flyers on Grizzly would be... )

ANyway, when it comes to older coasters, until the TG proves to maintain the wooden coaster experience with a smoother ride, then would I consider maybe using it on older coasters...

^to conclude on the Grizzly, KD Maintenance did something wrong when they rehabbed the Orange train this past winter. I don't think there is anything wrong with the track itself apart from the PTC's. What I would like to see is the replacement of PTC's from every coaster. I believe SCSteve has said he predicts them being removed in the somewhat soon future... (Mellienium Flyers on Grizzly would be... )

ANyway, when it comes to older coasters, until the TG proves to maintain the wooden coaster experience with a smoother ride, then would I consider maybe using it on older coasters...

I can vouch for that as my last ride of the season happened to be in the orange train,second row & aside from the usual roughness one would expect from riding in a wheel seat it was rougher than usual during the second half....especially the lower turn that hugs along that first turn just before the final return run to the brakes.

If the current PTC's are adding an additional 200LBS. of weight due to the lap bar hardware why not just use a stiffer,harder wood other than southern yellow pine for the track laminates?

When did PTC have the extra 200 lbs added?

I can say that Yellow Train was running almost like a Millennium Flyer this past season! Other than a few rough spots on the second turn, the train had more airtime then I305 had this year!

Anyway, I think the idea of redoing SOB with the loop returning would be amazing! I wish I could had ridden it in 2000!

Anyway, I think the idea of redoing SOB with the loop returning would be amazing! I wish I could had ridden it in 2000!

That's funny, I wish I could go back to 2000 and UN-ride it.

Gave me a migraine for three days and completely ruined about half of that year's coaster trip.

My votes:

*I know a couple of people have mentioned The Beast and I think it would be cool, but just imagine the grey-out's on the double-helix of death with over-banked 90 degree turns!

*Mean Streak (no doubt).

*Just about any wooden coaster with an out and back design that I currently feel is too rough and not much fun (IE: Rolling (Square Wheels) Thunder, Rebel Yell, Colossus, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, etc.)

*Even though this wooden coaster ranks as one of my favorites, what about Lightning Racer at Hershey? Could you imagine it with hills twice as steep with high speed and crazy over-banked turns?

*Shivering Timbers - although I haven't ridden it, I have read about some folks saying it can be quite rough. Personally, I think it ranks right up there with El Toro, Colossus and American Eagle as one of the most beautiful looking wooden coasters ever built.

*Son Of Beast, but not only does it need the Rocky Mountain treatment, it also needs some Betty Ford Clinic type rehab!