TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RatTums Hamster Cam

Nemmy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of rodents also. Our hamster before it died always built itself a little bed out of toliet paper in the little round ball thing that hangs off the end of the cage also. I guess hamsters pretty much act the same.

Right now I have a rat "scout" she's almost at the end of her life (About 2.5 years " So I'm going to get a hamster after she dies. I might not hook up a webcam though.

Elissa "RatTums is getting old too :crying: " Alvey

I know ... I'm scared that during your Europe trip I'm going to walk in on a dead hamster.

Gregg "would hate to break bad news to my friends" C.

Do what a TV Sitcom would do, pick a new and identical one up at a pet store for $5 .

I used to own a hamster, my peice of advice;

1. Dont go for a plastic tube cage, surely they look fun. IMO, look for an old aquarium, turn it into a terrarium (and use some Chicken Wire as a lid). You can add tiny plastic things in there, such as I had an igloo for my hamster to sleep in.

2. DONT USE CEDAR OR COLORED SHAVINGS, wether your pro Cedar Point (bad pun) or like how it looks, dont use them. Cedar shavings can actually burn mice eyes and colored shavings will make your hamster look diseased or something and have to wash off the dye.

3. USE METAL RUNNING WHEELS, compared to the cheap plastic kind, hamsters of course love to gnaw. Of course, once in a while it can get squeaky and bother you at night, but simply some Baby Oil and a Q-tip can fix that.

EDIT- RIP Brenna, October 2001-September 2003.

^ A couple of comments in response to what you've said, and I say this only because we did a lot of research on the internet and we've had hamsters for years....

1. Why would you say this? I would say don't go for a plastic tube cage that is ALL plastic because they get HOT...but most tube cages now are actually made mostly of wire in the main cage so there is plenty of ventilation. It also gives your little critter a lot of places to run around. There has been a TON of research done that proves that the more areas your hamster has to move around in, the longer they live.

2. This is absolutely true! Do NOT use Cedar shavings. They are not good for the hamster's respritory system. Why they are still sold is beyond me. We use "Carefresh Pet Bedding." It's made from paper, feels more like tissue, and they LOVE this.

3. DO NOT USE METAL RUNNING WHEELS!!!!!!! So many poor hamsters have lost their little feet in these! They are VERY dangerous and do NOT use them! The plastic ones do not have gaps or spaces in between them so they will not break their feet. Once your hamster has broken a foot, he's a goner. =( If your hamaster wants to gnaw, they will gnaw on EVERYTHING, and most of them gnaw on the wire bars on the cage.

Anyway, I hope that helps answer some questions.

--Robb

Thanks for the help Robb! I knew that the cedar shavings were a bad thing (and I think pine shavings are the same way). Every time I'm in a store that sells pet supplies and I see the cedar shavings I just kinda shake my head. But I suppose that as long as uneducated/uncaring small animal owners will buy whatever is good for them, the poor little critters will continue to suffer. :crying: