TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Tony Hawk" "Wiggles" and "Thomas" to leave Six Flags?

I am also going to assume that involved purchasing special equipment and other associated higher costs to maintain the expected quality from those brands.

This is absolutely correct. I know that for Johnny Rockets they had to purchase specific grills and other equipment that probably was well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars if you combine all the stores they opened throughout the chain.

There are a lot of things that go on "behind the scenes" that many people don't realize. You can't just swap out the sign on the front of the store and start cooking up "Johnny Rockets" burgers. They did have to maintain very specific standards that included equipment and supplies. And none of that was "free" to anyone because of the use of the name. Everything had to be paid for from someone. And for Johnny Rockets specifically, when that is a much higher priced food item, and the profits go back to Daniel Snyder who owns Johnny Rockets, like I said earlier in this thread, I'm shocked that plug wasn't pulled sooner.

--Robb

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Rockets aside, I'm not happy about the loss of Papa Johns. The one right by Batman (at SFMM) always has a line and since that is usually where I end up a couple hours into the day, it's always nice to get some cheese bread and water on my way down the line towards Mooseburger. However, if getting rid of the licensing means having more food for your money like Mooseburger then I'm fine with it. Just don't put in any more animatronic singing meese please.

I for one think this is a step forward. I have been increasingly tired of cookie cutter themeing of brands that are "in". Looking back to when i was a kid I loved going to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee. When i was young it did not make a difference to me if a ride was themed to anything specific. I think it give the company to get back to its roots. Create this generations "Demon" or "Shockwave". Yes it will be weird for awhile when things transition, but over all should be a step forward and also allow them to reinvest money to worthy expenses as opposed to paying money for stickers on cars. Hopefully they won't wrap all these unthemed cars with gum adds as a theme.

^^ Same ... Riddlers and Terminator are nowhere near each other. It takes at least 5-7 minutes to walk from Terminator to Riddlers so that's not really "near". Plus you pass by Jet Stream and Gold Rusher to get there. It takes a few minutes to get from Batman to Riddlers but the coasters themselves are pretty close. I'm wondering if they are going to create a shortcut between the two when Green Lantern opens.

Regarding the food, why don't they stop messing around and bring McDonald's into the food locations. It's better than anything they currently have in the park. Weren't the McD's at Disney parks actual McD's employees and not Disney employees? Why couldn't they get the same deal now that McD's is out of Disney.

McDonald's, Johnny Rockets, Panda Express, etc. are all franchise operations. The parks would be the franchisees and the employees working in the food locations would be park employees (Disney, Six Flags, etc.), even though they have on McDonald's uniforms.

The area Terminator is in is still called Cyclone Bay...I wouldn't be surprised if it got renamed Cyclone.

I was thinking the same thing... Maybe they will try to market it as a new experience and claim it's Psyclone reborn.

^^ Same ... Riddlers and Terminator are nowhere near each other. It takes at least 5-7 minutes to walk from Terminator to Riddlers so that's not really "near". Plus you pass by Jet Stream and Gold Rusher to get there. It takes a few minutes to get from Batman to Riddlers but the coasters themselves are pretty close. I'm wondering if they are going to create a shortcut between the two when Green Lantern opens.

I've always felt like Tidal Wave should be ripped out(it's old and run down anyways) and they connect Gotham to Riddler via the area where the old Batman overflow queue is. Then you can theme the bumper cars and various other things in that area after DC and have a major DC themed land. Hell, the pathway up to Superman is near there too to kind of incorporate into the land... It doesn't have to be too close to everything else, it is the Fortress of Solitude, not a lot of Solitude right next to other stuff.

McDonald's, Johnny Rockets, Panda Express, etc. are all franchise operations. The parks would be the franchisees and the employees working in the food locations would be park employees (Disney, Six Flags, etc.), even though they have on McDonald's uniforms.

No, sorry, that's not always the case. For example, Landry's owns Yak & Yeti at Disney's Animal Kingdom. And although those cast members do get some perks from Disney, and they have to abide by Disney cast member guidelines, they are actually employees of Landry's.

--Robb

And it's rumored that some food locations will also go such as:

- Johnny Rockets

- Papa Johns

- Mrs. Fields (SFOT location already gone)

- TCBY (SFOT location already gone)

- Coldstone Creamery

Sweet they can finally shed johnny rockets at SFMM, and hopefully put in an In and Out and finally get fresh and delicious burgers in the park just the way we like.

^ plus In-N-Out isn't a franchise. I doubt the family will want to make a mega investment to not be open everyday, nor anyone else. It just doesn't make good business sense. The SF chain needs to develop their own unique menu with the possibilty of adding some of the same items off that menu at each park as more or less their own franchise, something distinguishable. But at the same time, having several items unique to each park so as not to have a Papa Johns or Johnny Rockets flood, thus creating a draw that people will want because it's the "best they've ever had"

^Um, I think you are kind of missing the point here. If these rumored food franchises are on their way out, they aren't going to turn around and pay to put another in.

Well food is WAY different than Rides... With rides you pay to theme a ride and don't see much back except in the form of attendance. With food, the parks see revenue back. They are most likely just going to drop the brands that they don't see a lot of revenue back from. Johnny Rockets at the parks are run by SF employees and if it's not getting business it loses money. Panda is run by Panda (they pay for the supplies and staff) so the parks just get money for them being there at no cost to the park. As long as the Lessee locations are paying their bills, Six Flags is happy to have them I'm sure. So my point is, you may very well see more brands come in when it's food or merchandise related as long as it's a Lessee. We'll never see In-n-Out in a park though.

I've always felt like Tidal Wave should be ripped out(it's old and run down anyways) and they connect Gotham to Riddler via the area where the old Batman overflow queue is. Then you can theme the bumper cars and various other things in that area after DC and have a major DC themed land. Hell, the pathway up to Superman is near there too to kind of incorporate into the land... It doesn't have to be too close to everything else, it is the Fortress of Solitude, not a lot of Solitude right next to other stuff.

While I've always thought about this too, I figured a better way would be to just re-theme Tidal Wave to Aquaman Splashdown, and they could probably fit a path in somewhere near the old location of Freefall to the Batman area. And I actually really enjoy Tidal Wave still, and I never do get very drenched on it anymore. It's also really nice to have five water rides in the park.

^Yeah, my problem is the lack of wetness with it... and this is coming from someone who HATES water rides. Maybe it would be benificial to remove Tidal Wave and install a newer water ride, it's a type of ride SF hasn't invested in in quite some time and there are some pretty rad options out there... A water coaster would up their coaster count and provide more water attractions. And I'm lost, 5 water rides? Tidal Wave, Jet Stream, log ride, rapids ride... what am I missing?

Is it really?? NOOO! That's the best water slide ever, I love that ride!

But then again, if they took out Sierra Falls, the petting zoo (or whats left of it), and whatever remains of Thomas Town, they could put another bigger attraction there. It will be really interesting to watch what happens to Thomas Town. The only idea that comes to mind would be to just expand Bugs Bunny World to that little cul-de-sac, but it is very doubtful.

- Johnny Rockets

- Papa Johns

- Coldstone Creamery

Sweet they can finally shed johnny rockets at SFMM, and hopefully put in an In and Out and finally get fresh and delicious burgers in the park just the way we like.

First of all welcome back, haven't seen you in a while. Also, does this mean that Panda Express, Ben & Jerry's, the M&M Porium, and Wii Experience could also vanish? Plus, I know a lot of people ride Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls, especially during the summer, and a majority of those people including me (who's consider a light weight) emerge from the ride soaked.

Is it really?? NOOO! That's the best water slide ever, I love that ride!

But then again, if they took out Sierra Falls, the petting zoo (or whats left of it), and whatever remains of Thomas Town, they could put another bigger attraction there. It will be really interesting to watch what happens to Thomas Town. The only idea that comes to mind would be to just expand Bugs Bunny World to that little cul-de-sac, but it is very doubtful.

That space is actually where the Vekoma Roller Skater is gonna go. However, I have heard at least one rumor that the spot next to Deja Vu will be used for something much bigger...like a dive machine. I'm hoping that rumor proves to be true!

Nope!

Anyways, back on topic...frankly, I'm with everyone here who says that losing the Terminator theme will benefit the experience since that presumably means the end of the pre shows. Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with losing the tie in and the little bit of theming that they'll need to take out to make my wait ten minutes less when the ride is a walk on!

- Johnny Rockets

- Papa Johns

- Coldstone Creamery

First of all welcome back, haven't seen you in a while. Also, does this mean that Panda Express, Ben & Jerry's, the M&M Porium, and Wii Experience could also vanish? Plus, I know a lot of people ride Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls, especially during the summer, and a majority of those people including me (who's consider a light weight) emerge from the ride soaked.

Well going off topic here for a bit, but at Disney's California adventure for food when I think California I think in-n-out, not McDonald's (craptastic 1500 calorie meals, where the food isn't even good, its all marketing, besides McDonald's is world wide) ok said my peace. Thanks for the reminder coasterking908 on Facebook .

Well SFMM financial planning worked because now I'm going to have to go check out the changes in the park next time we do WCB 2011

"...isn't Little Flash being installed on the former Sierra Twist (Bayern Kurve)..." (6flagsbrad)

According to Neal Thurman, the roller skater (aka "Little Flash") is going where Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls is. Last Friday, I asked him that in person and that's what he said.

Eric