TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Tony Hawk" "Wiggles" and "Thomas" to leave Six Flags?

^ Good point. In my experience, even the new Thomas at SFA was a joke of sorts, very spread out to try and fill a large area. SFDK IMO was even worse, I walked in, snapped a photo from the outside which captured the handful of rides and train for my TR (with a caption of along the lines of Here's Thomas Town, moving on). They had a golden opportunity to do it up right and failed. It just goes to show you can't slap a name on something and instant success, you have to cultivate it and create the atmosphere, like bringing in a traveling show, or permanent show and hammering the advertising end of it. To me, TT was just "there".

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone make it to SFOT today to see if they did anything to Tony Hawk yet? If not, I may make it out tomorrow and check it out

I went Friday (HitP opening) and I think they had removed some of it (it was dark and I didn't really study it), notably the skateboarding guy up in the air between some of the first turns on the ride. Everything else seemed to still be there.

I can confirm that tony hawk is still intact at SFOT. Will have a PTR posted later tonite or in the morning. Video screen, posters, etc still hanging around sporting their Tony Hawk theme.

I will have to double check, but also think the giant spinner is missing as noted above

As far as food, I hope they don't get rid of all of the chain stuff like Panda or Johnny Rockets otherwise I'd leave the park to go eat or eat before going to the park.

I would put money on it that Johnny Rockets is on it's way out. Remember, Johnny Rockets was owned by Red Zone aka Daniel Snyder. That was the reason they ended up in the Six Flags parks to begin with. And I'm SURE there was a licensing deal set up and Six Flags was paying a fee to Johnny Rockets, even though it was the same parent company.

I highly doubt that the new owners want to give a single penny to any Daniel Snyder owned company. Personally, I'm shocked that Johnny Rockets wasn't the first thing to go, but I'm sure there was a pre-existing contract in place that stopped them from pulling that plug immediately.

--Robb

So as mentioned befoe by a previous poster, the spinning Tony Hawk at SFOT is missing, other than that, the GP wouldn't know Tony was about to make his final spin.

Also, a Mrs. Fields that was put in just this year, is now re-themed.

1318156656_SFOT11_28.10020.JPG.cdd436c64bea6138ec434e24766ab051.JPG

175223366_SFOT9_26.10049.JPG.25f4eaf74fdf260c2b9d31da92255ed6.JPG

now you see it

1351198576_SFOT11_28.10030.JPG.0d8ed994d3e92749a4c67e8b7dad35b9.JPG

now you don't

926220044_SFOT11_28.10031.JPG.ddcf8596af097ee096151dd81e36667e.JPG

515865525_SFOT9_26.10011.JPG.62d7be02eb0db1bf2dad8bb5b5d49e82.JPG

Now you see Mrs. Fields...

1299162250_SFOT11_28.10163.JPG.5d92df0644c9599de027b28a777edb7a.JPG

Now you don't.

I wonder if Cold Stone will be gone as well?

I also wonder if the quality of food and options are going to take a turn for the worst. I remember before all these food options came to the park, the quality at the park was barely tolerable. Johnny Rockets and Papa Johns made it tolerable, but I wonder since they're going away now if we'll be back to square 1.

I'd be pretty pissed and confused if I was HIT Entertainment right now. I mean, I just find it so sad that Six Flags couldn't maintain the Thomas brand and cash in on a TON of money because of it. Perhaps had they put more effort into it and made a 'REAL' Thomas Land as seen at Fuji Q or Drayton Manor they would have had a better chance. Here in Valencia, I know people that will pay more money to go farther away and see the Day out with Thomas events/attraction then go to the one at SFMM!

Agreed, though when the first 2 opened it was black and white between the two... SFDK was crazy packed and SFNE barely had any attendance in comparison. The main thing noticed was the only really busy attraction was Thomas, not the flats. I think that may have been why SFMM and SFOG's were smaller and mostly just the train. Then I think they saw those fail (but DK and NE still fairing well) and tried the bigger TT at SFA and I'm not sure how that went, but I guess they said screw it and didnt feel like trying anymore. Maybe Thomas and six flags just aren't a right fit, you gotta go big, but six flags won't go that big.

As far as food, I hope they don't get rid of all of the chain stuff like Panda or Johnny Rockets otherwise I'd leave the park to go eat or eat before going to the park.

I would put money on it that Johnny Rockets is on it's way out. Remember, Johnny Rockets was owned by Red Zone aka Daniel Snyder. That was the reason they ended up in the Six Flags parks to begin with. And I'm SURE there was a licensing deal set up and Six Flags was paying a fee to Johnny Rockets, even though it was the same parent company.

I highly doubt that the new owners want to give a single penny to any Daniel Snyder owned company. Personally, I'm shocked that Johnny Rockets wasn't the first thing to go, but I'm sure there was a pre-existing contract in place that stopped them from pulling that plug immediately.

--Robb

Totally makes sense Robb. I didn't know that about Johnny Rockets but yeh.....now I can totally see Six Flags ditching Johnny Rockets in a heartbeat. Hope they at least leave a few "outside" food options in the park.

^ At SFOT, they have soooo many different and unique food options during HiP its crazy, they should really keep pace and do that same thing throughout the year changing with the season/holiday. Deep fried anything, Gyros, some sort of burrito taquito thingy. I'll have some pics in my TR. Trying to work on it....at work as time allows.

So just to wrap up everything now that this all seems a lot more "confirmed" - Six Flags is ditching most of the attraction licenses that were introduced in the past 5 years including:

- Tony Hawk

- Thomas the Tank Engine

- The Wiggles

- Terminator

- Evel Knievel

And it's rumored that some food locations will also go such as:

- Johnny Rockets

- Papa Johns

- Mrs. Fields (SFOT location already gone)

- TCBY (SFOT location already gone)

- Coldstone Creamery

This leaves only some of the original Six Flags licenses in place like:

- DC Comics (Batman, Superman, etc)

- Loony Tunes (Bugs Bunny & Friends)

Recent articles confirming most of this have been found at:

L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-six-flags-retheme-20101122,0,3267615.story

Six Flags amusement parks prepare for thematic makeovers

Wham! Bam! Ka-Pow!

A bruising brawl involving comic-book superheroes, Saturday morning cartoon characters and extreme sports icons will change the ride and roller coaster landscape of Six Flags' 11 U.S. amusement parks in 2011.

An intellectual property housecleaning at the amusement park chain has left Bugs Bunny, Superman and Scooby-Doo victorious and Thomas the Tank Engine, The Wiggles, Evel Knievel and Tony Hawk vanquished.

In a sudden about-face, Six Flags is undoing several licensing agreements established since 2007 for 60 amusement park rides and attractions. The extensive slate of name changes and thematic makeovers are expected to begin in early 2011. The cost-cutting move comes in the wake of a Six Flags management overhaul after the company emerged from bankruptcy earlier this year.

Six Flags will re-theme the Thomas Town kiddie lands, based on the children's television show "Thomas & Friends," as unbranded Whistle Stop Depots, amusement park officials confirmed.

Since 2007, Six Flags has added Thomas Towns at Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia), Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Vallejo), Six Flags New England (Massachusetts), Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags America (Maryland). Six Flags America opened its Thomas Town in June 2010.

Six Flags also plans to de-theme the Tony Hawk Big Spin coasters at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags St. Louis, officials said.

The spinning coasters, which made their debut in 2007 and 2008, will be called simply "Big Spin." The Tony Hawk Halfpipe ride at Six Flags America also will be stripped of its affiliation with the skateboarding star.

In addition, the Evel Knievel wooden coaster, which opened in 2008 at Six Flags St. Louis, will be renamed American Thunder, ending Six Flags' association with the late motorcycle daredevil, officials said.

Screamscape reports that Six Flags will also remove the Wiggles World theme added in 2007 and 2008 to five parks: Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey), Six Flags Great America (Illinois), Six Flags New England, Great Escape (New York) and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The Wiggles World theme, based on "The Wiggles" children's television program, has already been stripped from five Fiesta Texas rides, according to the park's website.

The intellectual property retrenchment returns Six Flags to its core branded relationships: DC Comics (Superman, Batman, Riddler, Joker and Green Lantern), Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Road Runner and Tweety) and Hanna-Barbera (Scooby-Doo and Yogi Bear).

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

and Screamscape:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm

(11/29/10) In addition to our Superman update below, Screamscape sources have confirmed to us that Terminator Salvation will have the Terminator theme removed and given a new name for the 2011 season.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_fiesta_texas.htm

(11/19/10) Six Flags Fiesta Texas already seems to have started the process of handing out new names to not only the Wiggles World attractions but to Tony Hawk’s Big Spin as well. If you look at the list of rides to be open for Holiday In The Park you’ll see:

Tony Hawk’s Big Spin is now simply called “Big Spin”

Big Red Cars is now listed as “Cartoon Cars”

Big Red Planes is now “Junior Barnstormer”

Fruit Salad Yummy Yummy is now ‘Flying Fruit Cups”

Romp Bomp A Stomp is now “Kiddie Coaster”

And the SS Feathersword is now listed as “Pirate’s Playship”

Ok, hope that brings everyone up to speed with what's going on!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah, I don't think the preshow can stay, considering the rooms contain ONLY things from Terminator. Plus, almost everyone wants the preshow gone. Anything to get us onto the ride a few minutes quicker.

The worst part about the pre-show wasn't even that it existed, it was how they FORCED everyone to watch it...while they would send around half empty trains in the station. Last time I was at the park this was STILL happening. It's fine if you want to have a pre-show to give people something to look at while in the queue, but don't "hold up" people to watch a pre-show for a ride that doesn't require any explanation.

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah, I don't think the preshow can stay, considering the rooms contain ONLY things from Terminator. Plus, almost everyone wants the preshow gone. Anything to get us onto the ride a few minutes quicker.

The worst part about the pre-show wasn't even that it existed, it was how they FORCED everyone to watch it...while they would send around half empty trains in the station. Last time I was at the park this was STILL happening. It's fine if you want to have a pre-show to give people something to look at while in the queue, but don't "hold up" people to watch a pre-show for a ride that doesn't require any explanation.

Ugh, capacity nightmare much? Since I've been working at CGA for 3 years now, I know that when lines get long, you have to fill the trains up as much as humanly possible. Were they sending out half empty trains even when the lines were crazy?

Ugh, capacity nightmare much? Since I've been working at CGA for 3 years now, I know that when lines get long, you have to fill the trains up as much as humanly possible. Were they sending out half empty trains even when the lines were crazy?

YES! I would sit there and watch a half-empty train go around the track while the line was 30-40 minutes long!