TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Tony Hawk" "Wiggles" and "Thomas" to leave Six Flags?

*cue whining from SFA Fanboys about the park being "shafted" again.*

It's an interesting move. To be honest, it seems rather sudden. For example, Thomas Town at SFA only opened this year, and they are already re-theming it? Why would you start a long project, which not to many people particularly cared for, just to re-theme it all the year after you finish?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^If the rumors hold true, SFA is going to have to refurb a lot of those rides, again, as they have distinctive TT characteristics to them.

I think it's blantantly obvious where SFA's 2011 capital budget is going.

Anyone wonder why they haven't announced anything new for the park in 2011 while the nearly everyone else in the chain has?

This SFAFanboy isn't upset about getting shafted anymore.

I'm use to it by now.

New Ride Names CONFIRM AT FIESTA TEXAS!!

http://www.sixflags.com/fiestaTexas/info/rides_holidayinthepark.aspx

Note the following:

- Tony Hawk's Big Spin is referred to as "Big Spin"

- Big Red Cars is referred to as "Cartoon Cars"

- Big Red Planes is referred to as "Junior Barnstormer"

- Fruit Salad Yummy Yummy is referred to as "Flying Fruit Cups"

- Romp Bomp A Stomp (the Kids coaster in their Wiggles) is referred to as "Kiddie Coaster"

- SS Feathersword Playship is referred to as "Pirate's Playship"

I really hope these names are just temporary, because these give Cedar Fair's renamings a serious run for their money.

Note the following:

- Romp Bomp A Stomp (the Kids coaster in their Wiggles) is referred to as "Kiddie Coaster"

I really hope these names are just temporary, because these give Cedar Fair's renamings a serious run for their money.

Now this is going to get entertaining.

Note the following:

Let's be honest here - does the names of all those kiddie rides REALLY matter? I mean, I highly doubt anyone ever referred to them as anything but the "car ride" anyway.

It's the invasion of the "generic unbranded Cedar Fair-esque names"! However, it is true that most non enthusiasts do tend to refer to rides as being the "car ride", "airplane ride", "kiddie coaster", you get the idea.

Just like how they have unique names for all the big rides. If they are not putting "the" infront of every ride name, regardless if it exists (eg: The Batman), they are naming coasters based off colors (The big red one) or by what is does (The one where your feet dangle). Note: you must put "the" infront of everything.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what Six Flags renames these rides. Because as I and many others have stated, most people don't care. The only time a name really comes into play is when the ride is new and they are trying to market it.

I'm not going to bemoan the loss of Tony Hawk. While I agree that theming can really enhance a ride (Space Mountain, BTMRR, pretty much anything at IOA), I saw Tony Hawk Big Spin as less theming and more of a ride-on commercial for Tony and his branded stuff.

One ride with a topic that doesn't fit any of the other things around it is not theming, it's just branding. Might as well rename Shock Wave to "The Froot Loops Coaster".

What about Evel Knievel at SFSTL? Any word on a possible retheming?

Screamscape reported today that it is likely going to be re-themed. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

I've read the story and I still don't quite understand why they would remove the theming from the ride. It always seemed to me that the ride was like a tribute to Evel considering he died during its construction shortly after the name was released. What kind of licensing is actually associated with the ride anyways?

Kind of a slap in the face to the Knievel family if they do end up removing the theming IMO, but I guess you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

I've read the story and I still don't quite understand why they would remove the theming from the ride.

Because anytime to license a name for an attraction is cost money. And you have to pay that licensing fee every year to renew it. I have no idea how much those fees are, but I'd be willing to bet that if you combine Thomas, Tony Hawk, Wiggles, Knievel, Terminator, etc, it's in the millions of dollars annually. And really, what do those licenses bring to the table? The Six Flags brand has carried Looney Tunes and DC Comics for a long time know, and people associate those long-term brands with the park. When you have one-offs like Terminator or Evel Knevel, it just doesn't make sense. Or kids brands that have failed to bring in families.

Does Six Flags need any more kids branding other than Looney Tunes? I don't think so. It's just a waste of money to keep paying those licensing fees.

--Robb

It was posted on the SFSTL fan site that the cost for the EK name is above 100k a year and Tony Hawk is between 400-500k a year. To me that is 500k or so a year being spent on something that to most is useless when it could be better spent on park upgrades and things like that. I just hope that SF doesn't pull a Cedar Fair and rename EK something ridiculous.

If those numbers are correct, and they don't seem too unreasonable, that money could surely go towards some flat rides. If bought on ITAL, they could easily get two new/used flat rides each year, even if it isn't a screamin swing or Huss attraction. But, knowing what the new Six Flags boards has been up to of late, they will most likely bank the money so that it looks better for their stock.

So what I've heard now is that the license are dropped already (most parks are closed so it's easy for them). SFDK took down the revolving TH and painted over Tony Hawk on the signs this week and ran during the weekend as just Big Spin. Thomas Town is closed i guess until Holiday in the Park but Harold had all the choppers simply painted black... I havn't heard what has happened to Bertie, Thomas or all the themeing (Cranky, Percy, Gordon, James etc..).