TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The translator of the online is bad!

braztaz

This is simple. We all know how bad online translators are, but to put it in perspective I came up with this little game thread.

Write a paragraph in English. Go on a free online translator and translate it to Japanese (or whatever language you like). But then, translate it back into English. Look. Laugh. Roll Eyes. And post it here. Some of these can be hilarious!

ENGLISH:

Theme Park Review is one of the greatest websites out there. It's filled with these awesome people and we talk about what we love; roller coasters! I can't help but visit everyday!

DOUBLE TRANSLATION:

Theme park Review is 1 of the biggest Web site in the other side. It is done fully with these remarkable persons and we speak about the one that loves it; it is a/the switchback! Although I help it it can not visit it and be usually!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English: Well, I'm not 100% sure I like this game. But I'll humor you by translating this into Dutch, and translating it right back into English. We'll see just how things go. Maybe it could get very interesting...

Nederlands: Nou, ik ben niet 100% zeker of ik wil dit spel. Maar ik zal u door humor vertalen dit in het Nederlands, en het vertalen van het goed terug in het Engels. We zien wel hoe de dingen gaan. Misschien kan het erg interessant ...

English2: Well, I'm not 100% sure I want this game. But I will humor you translate this in Dutch, and translating it right back into English. We'll see how things go. Perhaps it can be very interesting ...

Not bad, actually .....But Dutch and English are in the same lingual family...

I loathe online translators and I think the ones for Latin are probably the worst. Partially because there are constraints (Romans didn't have coasters or computers.)

English: This is for a post on a forum. They talk about roller coasters and future additions to parks. They take trips to parks all over the world.

Latin: Is est parumper stipes in a forum. They for volvo coasters quod posterus additions ut ortus. Capiunt trinus ut ortus totus super orbis terrarum.

(Knowing Latin I can tell that's not anything close to what it should be)

English again: This is for a short time itis upon a market place. They say to meditate upon coasters and postremo additions when birth. They take triple when birth whole over, upon the world.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Latin to English translation is iffy, considering the many verb forms/declensions that Latin has and English does not.

English: How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there? I'm sure it wouldn't be that more deep due to the fact sponges aren't at the grandest depths of the ocean. For this test we'd have to go to the Pacific. How grand.

English - Japanese - English: Sponges do not live there if you do a lot of deep sea will be like? I am a sponge due to the fact that it is not deeper than the depth of the ocean is magnificent and I'm sure not. In this test, I think we have to go to the Pacific Ocean. How grand.

First article on ESPN I found. First 2 paragraphs.

English: Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was named the American League Most Valuable Player on Tuesday, reaching a peak after years of being derailed by drugs and alcohol.

"I would say a 99 percent chance that this would never happen," said Hamilton, who became the franchise's fifth MVP. "I mean, honestly, I think a lot of people would agree with that."

Portugese: O outfielder Josh Hamilton das Texas Rangers foi nomeado a liga americana a maioria de jogador valioso em terça-feira, alcangando um pico após anos de descarrilhamento por drogas e por álcool. " Eu diria uma possibilidade que esta nunca aconteceria, " de 99 por cento; Hamilton dito, que se transformou os franchise' MVP de s quinto. " Eu significo-me, honesta, penso que muitos povos concordariam com o that."

Back to English: Outfielder Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers was nominated the American league the majority of valuable player in tuesday, alcangando a peak after years of derail for drugs and alcohol. " I would say a possibility that this never would happen, " of 99 percent; Said Hamilton, that if transformed franchise' MVP of s fifth. " I mean myself, honest, think that many peoples would agree to that."

Online translation has come a LOOOOONG way in the past 5 or 6 years. I remember our first Japan trip in 2004. It wasn't even helpful, if fact it was probably just the opposite. Today, you can actually get a point across and figure things out using online translators...if you at least know what you're looking for.

^ "TWISTY!" in Japanese translates to 曲がりくねった which phonetically is "Magarikunetta". Translating that back into English, google comes up with the word "winding". You should totally yell WINDING on twisty coasters when you visit Japan next year!!