TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lincoln Park (Comet) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at the now closed Lincoln Park, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion.

Below are some links to past announcements and updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

March 31st, 2005 - Photos show Comet overrun by trees - SEE BELOW!

January 25th, 2008 - Park's demolition pending

June 24th, 2008 - Comet ravaged by the elements

August 31st, 2008 - Much of the Comet still standing amidst park demolition work

May 20th, 2009 - Little Amerricka buys Comet trains, hopes to build Comet clone in the future

November 8th, 2010 - Sections of the Comet structure have collapsed - Photos

November 11th, 2011 - More photos of Comet as additional ride portions fall apart

May 9th, 2012 - Permits filed for Comet demolition

July 15th, 2012 - Remaining pieces of the Comet now fully demolished

A few photos from my last vist to Lincoln Park a few weeks ago. There is a fence along the front side of the park. But the other sides dont have a fence or anything. I also saw a few people going on a walk with a dog in the parking lot next to the coaster.. So I just went in real quick to take a few photos of the coaster.

One of the hills on the ride.

From inside the station.

This is how high the lifthill is... Now... (the rest fell over in the winter... I have a few photos from on top of the lifthill from last fall.. I could dig out )

And one last photo.. That shows where the rest of the lifthill went...

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how high the lifthill is... Now... (the rest fell over in the winter... I have a few photos from on top of the lifthill from last fall.. I could dig out )

Yes please!

You'd think as someone who loves old coasters, I'd hate seeing photos of defunct or arguably worse decrpid SBNO old coasters, but I really love studying them. When in operation they have a beautiful atmospheric character, and when standing derelict, sagged and perhaps in places collapsed, they have a whole different, but equally enchanting mysterious character. I love browsing derelict photos of Chippewa Lake and Idora etc, every so often..

I'd love for someone at Puritas Springs to climb down into the ravine and take photos of the Cyclone track supposedly still sitting in place at the bottom, of what was a 90' drop. I doubt I'll see that though.

I'd love for someone at Puritas Springs to climb down into the ravine and take photos of the Cyclone track supposedly still sitting in place at the bottom, of what was a 90' drop. I doubt I'll see that though.

yes! me, too. i love sbno rides and closed parks. i got to visit idora before everything got bulldozed and chippewa lake, too. it's so creepy; like you can feel the energy of all the memories and fun... er something.

awesome. i've always thought the comet looked like a great figure-8 twister style coaster, ala coney island cyclone, (especially with the turn over the first drop heading back to the station). has anyone ever seen a video of it anywhere? if so, please post the link.

Ahha, nice panorama.

I've not seen video footage, but Bob Hooley did have a feature page or two on his site about it, with operational onride photos. Atleast I think he did, it's a while since I've visited his site. There were quite a few defunct coasters on there, and it could've been one of many..

Thanks for posting those pictures, Will you be posting anymore.

Its sad to see a coaster just left to rot and die slowly

Did this coaster have good "Airtime" and what type of trains did it have, was it N.A.D ones..?

Anyone got a POV of it running..?

Hope Gravity Group or S&S Power could copy this coaster for all the people who did not ride it.

Did this coaster have good "Airtime" and what type of trains did it have, was it N.A.D ones..?

Anyone got a POV of it running..?

Hope Gravity Group or S&S Power could copy this coaster for all the people who did not ride it.

Its profile is indicative of good airtime to me - poorly executed circular hills, like all good old coasters. It had NAD trains.

Any rebuild will only be a copy if the same construction is used, and moden construction is different, including track. Nobody would be able to exactly reproduce the profile - uneven funky bits of track arew what really "make" old coasters. These days they don't build funky, and they build too rigid. It just wouldn't be the same. Also, they'd add their own style, with higher banked turns and parabolic hills. Old coasters that have died, just have to stay dead.

• 2 years later...

Taken from:

www.SouthCoastToday.com

The Comet roller coaster, the centerpiece of the former amusement park, could be demolished in late spring or early summer.

The developers of The Village at Lincoln Park are nearing the start of construction for their mammoth commercial and residential project at the former amusement park.

But exactly when construction will begin is uncertain.

Town officials don't foresee final approval at the next authority meeting on Feb. 5, but feel it is not too far off.

Jay Williams, a partner in the development group, Midway Realty LLC, said they plan to start construction on a 15,500-square-foot, mixed-use commercial structure shortly after the permit board gives final approval of Phase I of the project.

Mr. Williams said Phase I includes five commercial buildings that will abut State Road:

The 15,500-square-foot multi-use building, which will be built first by the developers.

An 1,800-square-foot branch bank with four drive-through bays.

A 7,200-square-foot restaurant. Mr. Williams said there are three possible tenants.

A 15,500-square-foot building, possibly for a pharmacy.

A 10,000-square-foot building, possibly for a small market or perhaps a liquor store, according to Mr. Williams.

Developers want to begin construction of the commercial aspect of the project first, hoping it spurs interest in the residential portion. The Comet roller coaster, the centerpiece of the former amusement park, could be demolished in late spring or early summer, Mr. Williams said.

The development, which will include 205 condos and 112 apartments along with the commercial parcels, is what the state calls a 40R Smart Growth project, which encourages mixed-use development by providing financial incentives to cities and towns.

The Lincoln Park project has been on the drawing board for three years, but the only work completed has been the clearing of the land along State Road.

"We want to get the commercial started. The last two years, though, wasn't the best time to start the condos," Mr. Williams said, noting the slow housing market conditions.

Town officials — who support the project, despite their concerns — said it is a big undertaking because of its density and size, but want to give it due diligence.

Donald Perry, the town's director of planning, said it could be a couple of months before the project receives final approval.

"I think it will take a little more review," he said. "We need to know the details. It's a big project. We just want to make sure it all meshes.

"It could go very well. The success will come out through the details. That's why we're paying close attention to it."

"I think it's going good," Town Executive Administrator Michael J. Gagne. "I see the end in sight. I think it's making good progress considering the size of the project."

Roger L. Tougas, a member of the authority board and chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals, said any drainage and traffic issues are surmountable, but he could not pinpoint when final approval will come.

"I have great anticipation for it," he said. "Something has to happen and something will happen, but when it happens is up for grabs."

The authority board is comprised of Kathleen Horan McLean, chairwoman of the Select Board; Planning Board member John P. Haran; and Mr. Tougas.

Mr. Williams said the bank and restaurant in Phase I could be completed this year after the multi-use building is finished, depending on tenant contracts.

In addition, there are plans for three buildings behind the five commercial structures. Mr. Williams said these buildings will require separate approval from the authority board.

Two of the proposed buildings are each 12,500 square feet with commercial tenants on the bottom floors and likely 16 units of apartments atop them, according to Mr. Williams. The third building is proposed for 48 apartment units.

"We feel there is a need for apartments in Dartmouth," Mr. Williams said, pointing to demand generated by UMass Dartmouth students.

Developers contend there is a need for more commercial space, since there is not much vacant space available on State Road.

Forty-one of the two and three-bedroom townhouse condominiums and 112 of the apartments qualify as affordable units under the state's affordable housing program.

Under the terms of the 40R smart growth development, Mr. Williams said the developers can change the configuration of the condo units between unrestricted and age-restricted units with the town's approval, depending on market conditions.

The town has already received a $350,000 one-time payment from the state, after Town Meeting approved the new zoning district for the project, and will receive an additional $3,000 from the state each time a building permit for a condo or apartment unit is issued, according to Mr. Gagne.

Mr. Williams said the developers will also contribute a $100,000 impact fee to Fire District 3 and $7,000 each time a building permit is issued for a non-affordable housing unit.

Mr. Gagne said the town will receive educational aid equal to the difference paid in taxes and the per-pupil expenditure for every child who moves into the development.

I love how you are in England and knew about this, and I knew nothing about it and my parents live all of 5 minutes from Lincoln Park.

The coaster is so far gone, it being knocked down really will not be that much of a loss.

Over Christmas my uncle actually gave me ride tickets that he found while going through some old stuff. Besides that all I have are pictures of me going around and around and around on the kiddy rides and my favorite flat ride to this day (bouncey bouncey may be tied) the Whip.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

First time posting here, and I've been following the LP saga for years. I have partnered up with Jeremy and we have created http://www.lpcomet.com

On this site we report on the events that are happening with the park, as well as starting sections on the parks history nad memories ....

Ya I saw the SC Today article, and have been trying to contact the owners to see if we can get on-site to do a bit more photojournalism (hopefully capturing some things that haven't been done before)

So Take a look at the site and let us know how we're doing

Thanks

Pete (Team LPcomet)

I love how you are in England and knew about this, and I knew nothing about it and my parents live all of 5 minutes from Lincoln Park.

Funny how it works LOL People from far away sometimes know what is happening in your backyard better than you do.

My husband is from Warren, Ohio not too far from the old Idora Park in nearby Youngstown. Of course he remembers the big fire they had in 1984 that sealed its fate. But he had no idea their two coasters ( well one and a half ) were still standing until he watched a Discovery Channel special on roller coasters in the late 90's.

Hi all,

First time posting here, and I've been following the LP saga for years. I have partnered up with Jeremy and we have created http://www.lpcomet.com

On this site we report on the events that are happening with the park, as well as starting sections on the parks history nad memories ....

Ya I saw the SC Today article, and have been trying to contact the owners to see if we can get on-site to do a bit more photojournalism (hopefully capturing some things that haven't been done before)

So Take a look at the site and let us know how we're doing

Thanks

Pete (Team LPcomet)

Thanks for posting the above link with fresh news and pictures of the Comet and how it looks in 2008.

I hope someone will be at the park on the sad day to see / take pictures and video of it being taken down after so many years of rotting away.

If the coaster gave such a great ride, why can't Cedar Fair or 6 Flags make a copy of the ride for one of it's Theme Parks. !!

• 1 month later...

Well I just posted the latest Comet disappointment. The roof to the station dropped sometime in the last month or so

And I added a whole slew of new pictures

I'm working on a piece about the creator Vernon Keenan, and am finding Little background on him, any ideas (btw I've been in contact with his grandson, who has very little also)....

And of course (the beg) we're looking for pictures scans memorobelia whatever to help us build the historical sections, any help would be greatly appreciated (yes we do do credits)

The station collapse is in our latest News item (picture included, less the colorful grafitti ) http://www.lpcomet.com

-Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound like a picky person, but we nearly got severly burned on this, and I think we all need to remember this....

I see you have re-posetd pictures from our website, In this case it is OK for the images we have taken ourselves, but be forewarned, Some of the images (which we do not hold the rights to) are the property of others.

I know for a fact the collapsed station image is from our collection, as I personally touched up that image to remove some graffiti See the attachment

Just giving credit to your sourced 99% of the time will be enough gratification for the artist, and it is always polite to ask

Please use respect when 'borrowing' images from anywhere, as we have found even if you believe you have the rights to use them, often you actually do not, and are violating copyright laws that could lead to some financially stressful situations.

When in doubt just ask

-Pete

Team LPComet

http://www.lpcomet.com

p0004426-800.jpg.d2987c978a0cb932e75e896ba1edf94d.jpg

Station Collapse original unretouched

Photo Courtesy www.lpcomet.com