TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why Vekoma at Disney parks?

I was just wondering recently... is there any reason why Disney tends to go with Vekoma to build their rides? Vekoma is notorious for their roughness and overall bad roller coasters, yet Disney, the largest theme park chain, is filled with Vekoma roller coasters, from Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Thunder Mountain, and Expedition Everest.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ My guess is that Vekoma builds the best experience for what Disney is looking for. They build the most specialized rides in variation. Not all of their rides are rough duds like their Boomerang and SLC series.

Intamin did build California Screamin' So Disney does source to other companies. It's all about what Disney is looking to build.

^ I think that is a very good point!

Disney is valued for it's experimental and imaginative rides and Vekoma have done a lot other than Disney. I think that Disney have seen that Vekoma are reliable and that they can pretty much build whatever they have to. Take Space Mountain for DLRP for example, it had to meet certain demands - be thrilling, Have an elaborate launch and be compact inside a large dome. I think Disney have made a wise choice with Vekoma.

P.S. After Vekoma built one Disney ride Disney obviously saw that they built good rides and thus wanted lots more!

Stephen --- That's only my opinion though! --- Hamilton

Older Vekoma rides have hee-uge trains...

...trains that are hee-uge enough to incorporate an audio system without too much modification to the front five or six cars.

Ahhhhhh.... Good point. Space Mountain, Rockin Rollercoaster!

I never thought of that. I still wonder why they chose Intamin for California Screamin? It is amazing!

I'm pretty sure...

They chose Intamin for California Screamin' because of the track - it looks like a woodie, doesn't it? If you look from far away, you can't tell a difference between California Screamin' and a woodie because the track blends in so well. The Vekoma track is enormous, and would have stuck out. California Screamin' uses two-tube track for most of its length.

Raging Spirits and Temple of Peril are Intamin for the same reason, even though they don't have an onboard audio system.

I think.

I think you guys are all looking into this a little too much. Disney chooses based on 1) Money and 2) Level of Control. Vekoma pretty much wins that battle as their cheap and will let Disney do whatever they want and push them around.

The cost factor makes sense.... after all, if not for the cheap factor, why not go with Mack, whose rides are also very capacity friendly, flexible, and much smoother. Funny enough though, Disney Vekoma rides tend to be much better than the normal Vekomas (or so I assume... I've never been on too many bad Vekoma's... just cruddy Boomerangs and decent Mine Trains). I guess after working together for years they have a solid relationship, so why change. Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

I think you guys are all looking into this a little too much. Disney chooses based on 1) Money and 2) Level of Control. Vekoma pretty much wins that battle as their cheap and will let Disney do whatever they want and push them around.

#1 is a factor for sure, but I've been told many times that #2 is MOST important to Disney. Disney needs to work with someone that will allow them to modify control systems, blocking system, and build a ride around their needs. Vekoma seems to be very accommodating when it comes to this.

I've been told that B&M will not work with Disney because Disney has more lawyers than B&M has employees.

Disney has also worked with several other companies besides Vekoma -

Intamin - California Screamin', RC Racer & Indiana Jones

Maurer Söhne - Crush's Coaster

Togo - Flounder's Flying Fish

Sansei - Raging Spirits

AMEC Dynamic Structures - Space Mountain

Reverchon - Primeval Whirl

Remember that Vekoma has also helped Disney in the past building systems for their other rides, for example I believe that it's Vekoma track that is under Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc.

Intamin has also built other rides for Disney such as Grizzly River Run and Kali River Rapids.

And don't forget many of the original rides for Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were done by Arrow.

I wouldn't say that Disney always works just with Vekoma, I think they work with whatever manufacturers can fit their needs for a specific project.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

From what I heard from DLP, they're not pleased with Crush Coaster. Between the terrible capacity and the fact the ride can't take "Disney operations", park management is not very happy and would not work with Maurer again.

For the Soarin' rides, as far as I know, Intamin is not involved. WDI did the design and used AMEC to build the massive steel structure that hold the wings. Like the EMV and Spiderman like rides, Intamin did their own version. The Intamin version use an Inverted style car, seating 12 people across. http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/images/stories/products/panoramic/pfsa.pdf

For the Soarin' rides, as far as I know, Intamin is not involved. WDI did the design and used AMEC to build the massive steel structure that hold the wings.

This wasn't a contest of who has the most theme park dork knowledge. I was simply making my point that Disney uses more manufacturers than just Vekoma. My information possibly being incorrect about one ride doesn't change that point. You may be right about the Intamin and Soarin' thing, and if you are, congratulations. You're a bigger nerd than I am.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

From what I heard from DLP, they're not pleased with Crush Coaster. Between the terrible capacity and the fact the ride can't take "Disney operations", park management is not very happy and would not work with Maurer again.

They bought a spinning mouse and are pissed at the manufacturer about its capacity? If true, the management of DLP is inept. That's like getting mad at Mazda because you can't shuttle your 5 kids around in your Miata (MX-5).

^^Vekoma was involved with designing Test Track? I kind of thought Disney hired some company to design the system to fit Disney's specs, and Vekoma only produced the track.

Yup, there is another track system (underneath the main track that the cars are on) that provides the electricity to the vehicles. This was indeed made by Vekoma.

Disney and Vekoma have had a long lasting relationship so why find another company if you're happy already? Vekoma is cheap and (as Robb and Elissa mentioned) they allow Disney to have more control over the process than other companies are willing to give up. We may never see another Disney/Intamin coaster as Disney changed the blocking system on Clalifornia Screamin' after Intamin passed it over to them, breaking the contract. I'm sure Intamin is not too happy about that.