TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pets: Post a picture

• 2 weeks later...

Cat: Rose Age 8

Once she got lost. Came back a week later.

Both her jaws were broken in half and her eye was all white!

Happily She is all healed and you could never tell these things happened.

Salamander: No name

I caught him in the wild.

101_0357.JPG.7a8f2d39aaae53745731b8f9929acb34.JPG

Greedy cat!

101_0419.JPG.3be10fb5584594f7c2835fdaca38a3ed.JPG

I love Salamanders!

101_0284.JPG.78dd8823def87f10eae810722d39315a.JPG

Sally!

101_0455_1024.thumb.JPG.60e79fb243144c076771cb6d05963a6a.JPG

Sassy!

101_0203.JPG.b80de2c46c98538b6be035c8aeaca80a.JPG

Not my cat... It's my cousins

(Snat: Half Snail half Cat

• 1 year later...

In the light of my cartoon I'm working on, I snapped a photo of my crazy cat, Luna as she (deliberately) stretches across the pinball machine (intentionally) blocking my view. She's about a 1 1/2 years now, and is still kitten sized...so she can still pass as an 8-month-old kitten, and she acts that age too!

Below is a real photo of her, and a cartoon rendition of her, promoting the cartoon I'm working on.

lunapbsmall.jpg.c38c19f46d6ff956771598dfa8e84da2.jpg

Mah crazy kitteh!

pinballkittysmall.jpg.ec5378da8aa4fc44c6584cd605fac9ad.jpg

Cartoon kitty!

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. Anyway, this is my dog, Boo. She is about 7 years old and is a German Shepard mix. We got here at the Irvine animal shelter when she was a small puppy (I think about two months) and have had her since then.

Boo.JPG.d9d515e30fc2c5c1bd8e943aa78c9e67.JPG

They're Pembroke Welsh Corgis (the Queen of England has a bunch). They are basically big dogs, with short legs. They are a great breed.

I have a Pembroke Corgi named Trinity and she is a riot! She beats the crap out of her "little" sister - our German Shepherd (who is an 80lb puppy) I'll post some pics of them with their kitten, Oscar when I get home and get my hands on the camera.

^My brother got one of those too. Here's a picture of KT when she still liked it:

However the rest of the week didn't go quite as well, as it was still a young puppy and liked to jump and nip at her. This was only good though as it cured her from asking me for a dog all the time!!!

^My brother got one of those too. Here's a picture of KT when she still liked it:

However the rest of the week didn't go quite as well, as it was still a young puppy and liked to jump and nip at her. This was only good though as it cured her from asking me for a dog all the time!!!

Luckily - mine is older and a bit lazy. The Shepherd puppy, however is another story entirely. She's a year and a half old, 80lbs of just plain crazy. I love her and she provides hours of mindless entertainment, but I'm eagerly waiting the day where she calms down and becomes lazy like her older "sister."

^ Eric - Chinchillas are soooooo cute. I remember being at a petting zoo once and having one sitting on each shoulder. I jokingly said that I now understood why they would make good ear-muffs and the lady at the petting zoo quickly took them away from me .

FYI - I'd never make a chinchilla into ear-muffs, but perhaps that joke was in bad taste givien my location at the time.

I didn't know chinchillas could live that long! The kids ask us for a pet all the time, but we rent, so I don't want anything that will destroy the house, and I didn't really want to get anything that will die within 5 years.

I may have to look into a chinchilla, now!

^ Mo, Chimichanga is just two years old and has been a blast. Their care isn't hard as they are very clean animals. If you clean the cage (replace bedding and a general wipe down) a couple of times a week, and give them a dust bath a few times a week, you're done. They do like attention, so it's a good idea to let them out of the cage and allow them to run around a bit---preferably in a place where you can keep an eye on them. While they're out, they will leave "pellets" everywhere as do most rodents, but normal vacuuming and dusting takes care of that. Of course you feed them once a day and provide water, but that's a given with any pet. They make little noise except for the occasional "screech" or "clucking." Since they're nocturnal critters, they'll be pretty laid back during the day, but come early evening, they'll liven up. That's usually when I can get Chimi out of his cage and let him sit on my shoulder or run up and down my arms. Once in awhile he'll jump on my head and sit there.

Chinchillas have been known to live into their early twenties with good care, but mostly you can count on having one that lives until their mid-teens.

There are books on the care of chinchillas as with most animals. If you do consider getting a chinchilla, get at least one of the books, too.

Chinchillas usually run about $100-150 per animal, then add the cost of the cage, toys, accessories, food, etc. They need to chew on wood or pumice because their teeth never stop growing and they need to gnaw them down. Your vet can trim the teeth if need be. The wood and pumice "treats" can be found at good pet stores.

Eric

^That's interesting. I've heard much of the exact same information before, but it was in a more "negative" light--reasons not to get a chinchilla. This made me think they were very challenging and high maintenance, and wouldn't work out for many people. (Note that the person was standing up for the welfare of chinchillas, not "complaining".)

I guess in reality, the deal is you need to actually know all this info before getting a chinchilla, but if you do know it and are prepared for it, you'll probably be fine. (Re-reading what I just wrote, I realize this is actually the same for all pets.)

Well it was nice to hear a success story after all these years!

^ As with most animals, you can get one with a good personality, and you can get one with an "eh" or nasty one. We just got lucky. Sometimes you can watch them for awhile before picking one out and its temperament might be obvious.

They're generally shy toward anyone they don't know, but will usually warm up to you once they trust you.

Honestly, the only "high maintenance" issue we have is keeping him cool. They don't do well much above 75 *F, so it's good to have a fan nearby. Since we live just 15 miles from the ocean and get a sea breeze almost year round, it's not too bad for us. You can also put an ice pack in the cage and/or a marble or granite tile to give them a cool place to lie down (we put the ice pack under the tile so that helps, too).

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread, but just wanted to share a few things about an animal that not too many people have had much contact with, and really does make a good pet.

Eric

^Actually I've loved reading it lol. I've wanted a chinchilla since I was young and hearing that they aren't evil is wonderful! I would seriously consider one for after college as a nice little pet to have. About what size cage do you keep it in? I had a rabbit a few years ago so I'm not worried about maintaining a small-ish cage.

^ They need a cage that is big enough to jump around in, since they do a lot of that---ours is 30" wide by 30" tall by 18" deep. And be sure to get a good running wheel for exercise (like you see in Chimi's picture). We also have a couple of platforms for him to sit on.

Eric

I just realized I never posted a picture of our puppy! We have had two Bernese Mountain Dogs for about 8 years now, and a year ago in January, Amber passed away due to cancer. So after a few months we decided to get a puppy in October (he was born in September). His name is Amos Lee and he's now 8 months old, but I'll just post puppy pictures since thats what everyone wants to see.

CIMG2126.jpg.8fae00032a5896230ebd5c6b963d7418.jpg

These are from when he was...i think 9 weeks old.

CIMG2130.jpg.130d6291a3f09c34f9836bcb616235bc.jpg

I would think these are cuter if I didn't know what a pian in the butt he is now =P.

CIMG2131.jpg.e910147c5078ee48a71f51becbd01c3f.jpg

Last one for now to show how tiny he was. I think he weighs almost 80lbs now and hes 8 months.

Last August, we rescued a kitten that had been found in a wood pile with his siblings. His name's Simon, and he's a Maine Coon/Tabby mix.

This is how he looked when we got him...

And this is how he looks now...

Yup, he's barely a year old, and he's that big.

And, here he is, eating my other cat's food.

Here's my other cat, Ivy, upon her discovery of Simon eating her food again. (They get along very well, actually)