TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Close Look at the Forgotten Intamin Standup

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very close to boycotting Six Flags myself. It's so sad to see a coaster like that just rotting in an empty lot. I sadly never had the chance to experience Astroworld, but it was always a park I wanted to visit simply for the classic coasters that called the park home. After seeing pictures of trashed out SFMM, Six Flags appears to have returned to the management style that ruined the company in the first place. And, like many other have said, if the damage isn't so extensive that they could never get the coaster up and running again it would be a GREAT addition to a smaller park lacking a "major" coaster!

Sell the stupid ride for scrap already!

At this point, it would probably be better to have B&M build a new stand-up with the same layout than reviving this.

Thanks for posting the pics Nick!

I *LOVE* seeing it like that in its' current state!!! (Mostly because I proposed to my EX-wife on that ride!!)

And, WOW, talk about irony...

I saw this thread, and while I was reading it, I realized that today (1/17) would have been our 24th wedding anniversary.

It was ok at MM, and worse, but more interesting with the themeing at Astroworld.

Yeah. Let the damn thing rot. It was a crappy ride anyway!!

JJ

From what I understand part of the ride was damaged during the removal. I don't think it will ever run again.

It seems like every Astroworld coaster was damaged in the removal process.

Funny how the SLC spent five years rusting away at TGE & yet they managed to get it refurbished & up & running in Canada.

Well a lot more care was taken when taking down Serial Thriller and some of the other rides that still exist. They were first and then demo had to start moving so the rest of the rides suffered. I was walking the park during the auction and if you look at my Avatar you can see me standing in the track of UltraTwister which was just laying on the rail road track. It looked to be in pretty bad shape after they cut the welds and started to take it apart. As far as Batman, from what I understand part of the track near the lift fell, damaging it. Sure it could be rebuilt with enough money but really, who is going to do that? The SLC was treated very well during demolition. I don't know how well it was stored but I bet it was better conditions than Batman or UltraTwister.

Batman: The Escape was a mediocre ride at best with great theming. It was also a maintenance nightmare just to keep the rolling stock up and running. IMHO, it would cost far more than the ride is worth to fix it, transport it, construct it and buy new trains. I don't think you can compare it to Serial Thriller at all.

From what I understand part of the ride was damaged during the removal. I don't think it will ever run again.

Wasn't that the same excuse made about UT? I don't see why SFI would send either of those two rides to new parks if they were damaged during disassembling....sure they could've damaged either ride during transport but if damage occured earlier than neither ride should've been shipped to either park.

You really think the guys who decided to close Astroworld were the best judge of shipping and storing rides? These are the same people who when taking down Excalibur cut it into pieces based on the truck the piece would be riding on, not any kind of organized method yet they still shipped it up to Frontier City where it sat until it was scrapped. There is a Reason Burke and Company no longer run Six Flags. So yeah. I am pretty sure they had no problem shipping damaged rides to other parks.

It really is a horrible shame seeing a coaster just sitting in a field rotting away. Just do something with it already. Scrap it, sell it, even put it up as a model for God's sake.

Having never really traveled to ride coasters, I've never experienced this ride and it doesn't look like I ever will.

Although, from what I hear, I'm not missing much.

It really is a horrible shame seeing a coaster just sitting in a field rotting away. Just do something with it already. Scrap it, sell it, even put it up as a model for God's sake.

Having never really traveled to ride coasters, I've never experienced this ride and it doesn't look like I ever will.

Although, from what I hear, I'm not missing much.

I know it's sad to see coaster dismantled and resting in rusty pieces for 5 years or more.

From the MayTheGForceBeWithYou Post:

DBru wrote:

I'm much more upset over the fate of the (more unique) Ultra Twister.

causing MayTheGforceBeWithYou to add:

It's sitting at Six Flags America, and it's for sale online.

Folks, this was why several years ago I decided to boycott all Six Flags Parks due to this outrage following the closure of Astroworld. The other Six Flags got decent rides, and all Six Flags America got was a scrap heap that used to be the Ultra Twister (a ride I did ride more than once). This ride, if constructed, could have been the perfect fit between the Joker's Jinx and the railroad tracks. But oh no, the management decided it would be too expensive to reconstruct. So as the parts lay out in the open and slowly decay into rust, I'm here on this site posting my say that can be compared with sour grapes.

Now I called off the boycott this year due to Six Flags America debuting Thomas Town (not to mention the fact that I was planning on going to Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Magic Mountion in that samw season), but now that the new family coaster planned for next season could be scrapped, I guess I will have to bring back the ban.

"I wish I could get angry, but I'll turn lumpy if I do."

I gave up on the park after 07 & have been getting KD passes ever since.

Funny thing about UT is the Premiere rides in MD. makes the replacement parts(both track & trains) for the togo pipeline shuttle coaster & yet neither SFI or SFA will contact them to get the parts needed to repair the ride.I really let the park have it on their facebook page a couple hours ago.

• 1 year later...

It's too late for Darien Lake to set up the Intamin stand up coaster from Six Flags Astroworld, it wasn't dismantled properly and now it's just a big pile of rusted yellow and black metal. But there were rumors going around that in 2011 Darien Lake was going to get rid of Grizzly and set up this coaster up, but that never happened. So the this old coaster has scrap metal written all over it!