TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Close Look at the Forgotten Intamin Standup

^ I believe Giovanola is a subcontractor (excluding SoCal Goliath, Titan, and Anaconda which they built themselves) for those early Intamins, and for early B&Ms until B&M built there own plant close to Cincinnati in order to cut down on shipping cost. Overseas, B&M still use Giovanola as a subcontractor.

Also Bolliger & Mabillard use to work for Intamin before starting their own company.

This is only what I am led to believe. I may be wrong...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I believe Giovanola is a subcontractor (excluding SoCal Goliath, Titan, and Anaconda which they built themselves) for those early Intamins, and for early B&Ms until B&M built there own plant close to Cincinnati in order to cut down on shipping cost. Overseas, B&M still use Giovanola as a subcontractor.

Also Bolliger & Mabillard use to work for Intamin before starting their own company.

I think that sound about right, now I read something a while back as to why Giovanola stopped designing there own coaster, but I cant remember the what happened.

The steel plant existed before B&M began using them for their US (and maybe now worldwide) track manufacturing. Interestingly, Walter Bolliger came to the plant in the late 80's after noticing the solid work they had previously done, most notably on the structure for Vortex (Kings Island) and Shockwave (SF Great America). I just saw this article posted within the last week, I'm not sure how many of you have seen it before. It has some GREAT insight and pictures on the steel plant that produces the B&M track:

newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2008/12/scott-carol-present.html

Ultra twister still sits at sfa in a field as well. Any chance we will see this ride operate again?

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/100_2479__medium__1.jpg

Hmm I don't if Ultra Twister was dismantled properly? If it was we could see this once one of kind coaster in operation once again either in SFA or another park!

Will probably be the "new" attraction for SFSTL in 2015...

The steel plant existed before B&M began using them for their US (and maybe now worldwide) track manufacturing. Interestingly, Walter Bolliger came to the plant in the late 80's after noticing the solid work they had previously done, most notably on the structure for Vortex (Kings Island) and Shockwave (SF Great America). I just saw this article posted within the last week, I'm not sure how many of you have seen it before. It has some GREAT insight and pictures on the steel plant that produces the B&M track:

newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2008/12/scott-carol-present.html

Good read. Thanks for the post.

• 1 month later...
Ultra twister still sits at sfa in a field as well. Any chance we will see this ride operate again?

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/100_2479__medium__1.jpg

Hmm I don't if Ultra Twister was dismantled properly? If it was we could see this once one of kind coaster in operation once again either in SFA or another park!

Will probably be the "new" attraction for SFSTL in 2015...

I can't imagine this would ever be a "new" attraction for any park other than a scrap yard.

^Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that no modern ride companies have attempted to design a "new" version of the Ultra Twister concept. I would think that with modern technology that concept would be fairly simple to re-create with more success than the originals. I could imagine a lot of cool applications for compact installations, maybe even enclose the experience with some additional themeing.

A "new" ultra twister has S&S written all over it, so if you're reading this S&S engineers GET TO IT!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
It's also kind of cool how they made it look just like a B&M.

It looks like a B&M because it technically "is" a B&M. Bolliger and Mabillard were working for Intamin when the stand-ups and Space Divers were built. Batman was built as Shockwave at Magic Mountain in 1986, and Cobra was built as Stand Up at Skara Sommerland in 1988.

They started using the two-rail track with diagonal cross ties on their "Family" coaster line, which includes rides like the MGM Grand Lightning and the Great Adventure Skull Mountain. LaQua's Linear Gale (impulse coaster) was the first Intamin to use the three-rail, and Superman Ultimate Escape (now Possessed at Dorney Park) was the first with the four-rail track.

I think.

Looking at photographs in the Park Index and the RCDB only takes your coaster knowledge so far...

• 4 weeks later...