TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that a wooden coaster is missing?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it that a wooden coaster is missing? Well, in a lot of cases it's a park that is willing to keep it in good running condition after a few years goes by. That is, there really isn't anything I'd like added to a wooden roller coaster. When done right and kept up, there is nothing better than the wooden coasters currently offered. For example, Ghostrider in its early years was a perfect wooden coaster. It didn't need any gimmicks (eg: a loop) to make it fun. But it sure didn't age well.

The million dollar question regarding an inverted woodie--would it be smoother than an SLC?

If you are planning on building a woodie, I'd recommend a nice pre lift like Ghost Rider, low to the ground ejector hills and turns, and some surprising underground tunnels. The world needs more Gravity Group! ;D

I don't know which idea is more ludicrous, a heartline roll or an inverted woodie.

Apparently a heat line roll. www.gordonrides.com/concepts.html

I can never figure out if this entire company is real or not, but OUCH... that thing would need to be butter smooth for it to be descent.

That'll never get past concept phase. If it does, I'll cut my foot off and feet it to Clint Novak.

I would love to see the classic curved boarding station make a re-appearance on a modern woodie. However, that is an aesthetic suggestion.

I think that woodies aren't missing much. As long as they offer a fast paced, out-of-control experience they are perfect; Quick Transitions, Tight Clearances, AIRTIME, and a Sense Of Speed are all musts.

First of all, I'd like to wish you luck on this project. I can't wait to see what all you have planned, and how everything progresses.

Key elements of a wooden coaster, to me, include (in order of most to least important):

-Many instances of strong airtime

-Long tunnels taken at high speed

-Flying through the structure/being surrounded by supports on all sides

-Straight (non-twisting) first drops

-Double-ups/downs

My favorite opening to a wooden coaster is featured on The Boss at Six Flags St. Louis. At the top of the lift hill is a tight turnaround followed by a long, steep drop into a straight, downward sloping segment of track that is surrounded by structure, which leads into another dip that reaches all the way to the ground before the track finally starts to rise again. I would absolutely love it if you incorporated this thrilling sequence in your coaster. You can check it out in the video below. (Located between 0:55 and 1:15 seconds.)

A never-before-seen element (I just came up with it) that I would love to see you use is a set of back-to-back, 90 degree-banked (in opposite directions), zero-g camelback hills. This element includes the airtime, laterals, and quick changes in direction that enthusiasts live for. I'll include some concept images at the bottom of my post.

Thank you for asking us for suggestions and considering our opinions!

element2.jpg.ced2971ad69f6c8c7e2afbab9c492628.jpg

Here you can see both camelback hills, each one banked 90* in a different direction.

element.jpg.a3cf58b66a833b58035ace69268ff4f0.jpg

Here is a frontal view of the element...which I personally think looks very cool. Haha

It's already been stated but Id like state it again that I LOVE tunnels on wooden coasters. Pre-first drop tunnels (like Big Dipper, Phoenix, Great White, even Psychlone at SFMM) and tunnels during the ride (like the Beast, Raven, Hades). Another thing Ive always loved on some wooden coasters is Layouts that allow the ride to run through the trees if the natural terrain of the area allows it. Then air time, a great drop, speed change of direction all the regular things that made woodies so much fun. A always thought the beast at Kings Island was a a great ride because of its length, layout amongst the trees and also the 2 lift hills is really unique. I've always wanted to see another wooden coaster with 2 lift hill, and subsequently 2 drop,s but don't know if anyone has ever done that since then.

I just don't think that someone legitimately undertaking the mammoth task of building an amusement park from scratch would be asking about such intracacies, thats all. I may well be wrong, it's just my opinion. These are things I would imagine you worry about FAR down the road, if at all. Again, just an opinion.

If it means anything to you, I'd travel to Louisiana to ride an Intamin Woodie. There's only one other one in the country, so you would definitely draw most of the south and middle of the country's coaster enthusiasts to your doorstep.

One thing I'll add, though, is a great coaster doesn't necessarily make the park. Kentucky Rumbler is a great coaster, for sure, but it doesn't necessarily make Beech Bend Park a destination in and of itself. Many people just stop there to ride rumbler on their way to Holiday World or Kings Island. A great idea in my opinion is to have a solid top ten woodie, (which doesn't need to be the biggest, fastest, longest, etc.) and back it up with some decent flat rides and some atmosphere to the park. A big reason people love Dollywood is they really create an atmosphere to their park. Not a ton of money was spent on theming the general public areas, but enough time and thought were put into it that it really shines through. Good luck with your venture and I hope to visit someday!

^^It's not like he is asking for donations or for us to help him build the coaster with pick-up trucks and shovels. He is just asking for suggestions that could help their first major ride have that "it" factor. I see nothing wrong with someone in the theme park industry coming to a board full of theme park enthusiasts and asking their opinion. Do you think when Universal or Six flags sends out surveys for guest feedback that they are being unprofressional?

You are welcome to your opinion but I feel you are way off base with your criticism.

Edited by ernierocker