TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that a wooden coaster is missing?

Hi all,

this is Jeff Hensley, the guy that is starting up the Theme Park in South Louisiana, anyways...

When it comes to wooden coasters, is there anything specific that you think that wooden coasters are missing today? Maybe some element you really want to see?

And let me also ask, Is there a particular element to an existing wooden coaster that has made the ride the most exciting for you?

I ask because we are currently in the design process for our wooden coaster and I respect the members here to give me honest feedback as to you like to ride. We want this coaster to be the best!

Thanks again for your time,

Jeff Hensley

Owner / President

Bon Temps Family Theme Park Inc.

jeff@louisianathemepark.com

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is anything necessarily missing from wooden coasters. The best ones are exactly as advertised: tons of fun. They don't have to have special elements or unique features to be great. Just make it fun, stick to the basics. Gravity Group and GCI both have this down to a science.

Besides, adding new elements to a coaster can have...unexpected results (see Son of Beast).

My personal favorite wooden coaster would be The Voyage, so much airtime and constant speed, not to mention the use of terrain just make it a terrific coaster.

Good luck!

As far as "missing" goes there really isn't much that is given what GCI and Gravity Group have been putting out. The Voyage at HW is the most complete wood coaster experience as it has the most variety of elements in one. The Intamin Pre-fabs seem to produce the best airtime unfortunately there aren't enough of them around.

Well, when it comes to a wooden coaster, Intamin seems to do the job right.

I'm a Gadv fanboy and I have El Toro to ride whenever I want. Its always #2 in t he world for woodies and most people complain that the ride is way to short. The lift, the drop , A few airtime hills, and a twisty part and the ride is done. Ejector Airtime always pays off and will get great reactions. IMO, an El Toro type Intamin Prefab is the way to go

Something I think would be cool is a Hammerhead element found on B&M hypers.

If you're thinking of a more compact, twisty layout that delivers you might be inspired by GCI's Evel Knievel at Six Flags St. Louis. It's not a big coaster but it's everything a great twister coaster should be.

As for an out and back nothing, to me, beats the Voyage but if you want something that is not as intense or as long then a ride like Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer would be up your alley. It literally put Waldameer on the map and is the best wood coaster in my neck of the woods. From the top of the lift to the final brake there isn't a dead spot on the ride. It's like a mini-Voyage.

For those saying Intamin, a new park like this wouldn't have $20 million for a single new ride. For that cost, a park could buy many flat rides as well as a few off the shelf coasters.

I second the Evel Knievel/Thunderbird clone as it is a great ride. It is a lot of fun, and it is great for thrill seekers and families. Gravity Group is also good as they offer great designs at fairly low prices. However, where Great Coaster International's rides have a pretty good reputation for being smooth(minus Gwazi), Gravity Group's coasters(well Hades, Voyage, and Boardwalk Bullet) can be aggressive and rough. Although, if your park has a good maintenance department, this might not become a problem.

Edit: The $20 million figure isn't true, so I say if you can afford it for the park, you should definitely buy one.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

Gravity Group does have those trains that are apparently "launch capable," so if you wanted to be ballsy, you could create the world's first wooden launched coaster. If it actually worked, it'd probably be a huge draw, but even though I have no industry experience, going with an untested prototype when starting up a park just sounds like a bad idea (see: that Premier coaster with the ferris wheel lift at Freestyle Music Park). Personally, I think a good choice would be a Gravity Group woodie along the lines of Ravine Flyer II or Fireball, where it's not totally spread out, but it also contains a bunch of airtime and fun parts.

I haven't ridden El Toro, or any Intamin pre-fabs, but from what I understand, they are very smooth, even to the point of not feeling like a wooden coaster. To me, a wooden coaster needs to feel bumpy or rough, but not so much so that its very painful. Great Coasters and The Gravity Group do a good job.

Edit:

I should add, Intamin does do a good job though as El Toro is ranked #2 wooden coaster even though it may not feel so much like a wooden ride. It definitely depends on what your looking for.

Edited by beatle11

I haven't ridden El Toro, or any Intamin pre-fabs, but from what I understand, they are very smooth, even to the point of not feeling like a wooden coaster. To me, a wooden coaster needs to feel bumpy or rough, but not so much so that its very painful. Great Coasters and The Gravity Group do a good job.

Did you ride The Voyage or Hades this year? I kind of get the feeling that while GCI's seem to hold up over time better then TGG's Woodies, if the parks don't take good care of them they'll go to crap.

Hades was basically unrideable this year and The Voyage was pretty close. And oddly enough Dollywood's Thunderhead seems like it's in serious need of a re-tracking!

I know the Intamin pre-fab woodies are much more expensive but don't they pride themselves on needing a lot less re-tracking and maintenance work over time?

--Robb

^Thunderhead was getting kinda rough last year when I rode it. El Toro was actually not as glass smooth as it used to be when I rode it this year. Definitely felt a lot of bumps sitting on the wheel seats. No wooden coaster stays perfectly smooth forever (unless they are at Kennywood, whose coasters seem to defy the laws of aging).

I don't know your plot of land, but if you have any interesting terrain you may want to go with Gravity Group because their terrain coasters are incredible. If you are looking for something to plop down on a flat piece of land I would suggest GCI or Intamin because they both make outstanding coasters as well!

Overall, I judge coasters by how fun they are. Airtime and intensity factor highly into this. If a coaster has notable levels of either or both, I'm likely to find it fun. "Intensity" to me includes surprise drops, unpredictable changes of direction, extreme angles, ejector airtime, headchoppers, sensation of speed, and plenty of other factors.

I like twisters with lots of airtime. Evel Knievel is a perfect example of this. It's also very "approachable" and rerideable.

Length isn't necessarily all that important, but one reason I love Voyage is that it goes on and on...and on, with a thrilling mixture of elements. I'll leave the criticism to others as I love this ride despite its problems.

Is there a particular element to an existing wooden coaster that has made the ride the most exciting for you?

The small drop into a pitch black tunnel with some unexpected laterals on the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is a real key to setting up the riders for a fun time. I wish more wooden coasters had that feature.

How about a clone of Balder? It is many of its rider's #1 position or at least in their top 5 favorite roller coasters. It is not nearly as intimidating to look at as El Toro, and is only 20 to thirty feet taller than the average GCI. It is quite compact for the awesome ride that it gives. Last but not least, based entirely off RCDB(so it may not be entirely reliable) Balder only cost around 9 to 10 million dollars, which is not bad considering it is VERY highly rated and not too expensive, considering its two million more than the average GCI.