TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where shall I move?

LcHg5265

Hello all,

I have been given a job offer that will allow me to choose a location. I have already narrowed it down from over 20 locations to the following 5. Does anyone have any opinions / advice etc? I like an active lifestyle and a city vibe. Love to enjoy the outdoors and nature. I am hoping to find an urban / modern apartment / condo as well. I like a metro feel in which many people are out and about, walking / biking and so on. I am from New England, but am willing to try out something completely different. I also have a flat salary, so cost of living is also a factor I am considering. Thanks!

Pheonix

Indianapolis

Lexington

Seattle / Bellevue

Hebron, KY (Cincinnati)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, of your choices, Seattle is the no-brainer if you can find housing that fits your budget. Although, I'm sure some of the Phoenix folks will argue their case. To me, the Phoenix summers kill that choice immediately though. As for Hebron, and Lexington......I'd rather shoot myself in the head. Sorry, it's the truth.

Edited by BeemerBoy

Like others have said, with the criteria you listed, Seattle would obviously be the best fit. They also do not have State Income tax there which is a big savings...however there is a higher cost of living there. This includes travel as well, as you'll pretty much have to fly to get anywhere! The weather is also as bad as people stereotype the area for.

I also agree that Indy would be my second choice for you as they have a nice revitalized downtown area and lots of arts/culture type activities.

Phoenix would be nice if you like the outdoors, but only about 4 months out of the year! (Although the same could probably be said about Seattle as well just for opposite reasons!)

Seriously though, if it's a flat salary no matter where you choose that just seems TERRIBLE and you should probably go for a place like Lexington which I'm assuming would be the cheapest!!!

I'd pick Seattle as well. I've been to all those cities you've narrowed down and that seems to be the best with what you're looking for.

It also seems to be more culturally diverse than the others and is a short (and scenic) drive to Vancouver. And Portland is about a 3 hours drive south of there.

As far as cost of living goes it is higher than the others listed but really not extreme like San Fran, LA, New York City, DC or Boston.

for what it's worth, using this calculator on bankrate.com, the estimated cost of living for Seattle is nearly identical to that of Hartford. Basically, you can continue living at your current rate.. or move to one of the other places and have a some extra cash in your pocket

Seriously though, if it's a flat salary no matter where you choose that just seems TERRIBLE and you should probably go for a place like Lexington which I'm assuming would be the cheapest!!!

Agreed on the flat salary being lame, but disagree on living in Lexington!!

If you like roller coasters at all, and I assume since your on this forum you do, Hebron is an hour from King's Island and about 4 or so hours from Cedar Point. Add about an hour or so for Lexington and Indianapolis. Great location for coasters.

Seattle is a very nice city though, if you can afford it. Fits the criteria you listed. Cost of living is higher there though.

I'd say Seattle followed by Indianapolis, then Cincinnati.

Phoenix may be good for certain outdoor activities, but it lacks the urban "vibe" that you describe. And I don't know enough about Lexington to rank it in any way.

Good luck!

Hummm....I'd say Seattle too.

I've lived in Phoenix for almost 5 years now and it's ok....but it's not GREAT if you like the big, urban vibe. Maybe because I live too far north of Central Phoenix . Scottsdale is really nice.....Old Town Scottsdale has a pretty good night life. Tempe is also pretty cool along Mill Ave. There are some pretty nice places to live.....condos, lofts, etc.....

As far as the summers here......honestly...they aren't that bad. To me 90 with humidity in Houston or San Antonio feels a lot worse than 110 and no humidity. I would take dry heat any day.

If you like or want to start hiking, there are plenty of parks around Phoenix Metro that have a lot of different hiking trails.

I can only speak for Phoenix-

I really love the city. I lived there for 12 years. There are sporting events galor! You have Chase Stadium with the D-backs, United Airways arena for the Suns and lots of concerts. The arts there are also expanding with first fridays and some really neat local events. Nightlife is also a really cool.

Flip a coin!

I just moved out of Phoenix after a six year stay. If you can handle the heat, its a pretty neat place to live, you can go hiking within city limits, I dont know very many big cities that you can say that for. Also, being from Southern California, the 'traffic' in Phoenix is extremely light compared to what I'm used to in LA/Orange/San Diego County. I love Tempe, but it is a very college atmosphere, I lived there about 3 years and the other 3 years in downtown Phoenix. Both have their upsides for outdoor activity and downtown culture. If you live in Phoenix the commute to the westside of town would be opposite the traffic congestion in the morning and afternoon assuming you work normal business hours and you can take the light rail train directly into Tempe for any concerts or fun (and not get a DUI). Chase field is the best and cheapest place to enjoy baseball in the MLB and even I fell in love with the never winning diamondbacks, it must have been the $5 seats and $1.50 beer.

Now it is down to Phoenix and Indianapolis. My only issue with Phoenix is that the facility is on the west end, and the nice places to live (Scottsdale and Tempe) are on the east end!

Indianapolis

Indiana Beach, an hour (straight up 74 to 26)

Kings Island, two hours (74 to 71)

Holiday World, two hours (don't really know, but either 70 to 41, to 64 or 65 to 64)

Six Flags St. Louis, 4 1/2 hours (70 to 44)

And less then 6 hours from there...Cedar Point, Beach Bend, SFGAM, plus many others probably within eight hours?

Indianapolis has a minor league baseball team, a great football team, they have a basketball team (don't know if they are good anymore since I don't follow them), Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Nascrap, Indy racing league, and motorcycles), plenty of concerts, art and culture places, and the 2012 Superbowl (assuming there is a season). Depending on where you will work, housing is cheaper on the out skirts of town and easily accesible via 465, 70, 65, 69, 74, 36, or other highways.

I would have originally said, based on your criteria, as the others had said, Seattle would have been the no-brainer choice for you. I would have put Indianapolis as a strong second.

Now that you say, Phoenix or Indianapolis, I would choose Indianapolis. It is tough to do that, as I really like Phoenix, but I think that would only be to visit. If you are looking for a place to life, Indianapolis is a great option. I believe it is rated one of the top cities in the country for young males like youself, and it has a very nice bang for your buck in terms of real estate and living expenses. Whether it be a short term, or long term option, I think Indianapolis is by far your best bet from a rational, logistical standpoint.

I'm wondering of all the people banging on Lex, how many have actually been there? I know you said it's between the two, but figured I'd give my 2 cents anyway.

Of the area (Lex/Hebron/Indy), Lex is more rural. I'd say it's night life is more college focused, the business side is more mid to upper class, and the outdoor activities are abundant. Hebron (area) is more middle of the road. No identity on it's own, but a more small town feel. However, it's minutes away from Cincinnati for all the "culture". Outdoor activities are also abundant. Both Lex and Hebron are a part of what I call the triangle (also including Louisville). Each city is about an hour from each other and have anything you can think of to do between the three and in between (including Kings Island and Holiday World). Indy is the largest of the three. If the city vibe is what you want, this would likely be the choice. However, the farther in town, the more expensive it will be. There was already a write up on it, so I'll leave it at that. I loved Lexington as I like that type of environment. I currently live in the Hebron area and have no issues. I can be in downtown Cincy in 15 minutes, but still have 15 acres of land with no neighbors. Weather for the 3 would be pretty similar. Still have all the seasons, but no the winter you are used to having. Phoenix would be way too hot for me, but not sure how important that is to you.

I absolutely LOVE Indianapolis though ... I would think that would be a strong 2nd.

Why do you love Indianapolis?

Well, as Elissa said:

Revitalized downtown: Great bars, restaurants, Conseco Fieldhouse is GREAT, Lucas Oil Field is great ... you can walk around at night there and not feel threatened, some great pubs and bars to walk around to, etc. Just a few hours away from some great parks, etc.

I've really enjoyed my visits to Indy, granted I've really only seen the downtown area (company's corporate office is there) and some of the outlying area's when hanging with work people, but I've really enjoyed the city.