TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Baker Leisure Group considers "Orlando Thrill Park"

Actually, that does look a lot closer to the neighborhood and mall than I had expected. Kingda Ka is built in a park that's practically in the middle of a forest, and TTD is on an island. With the amount of noise that machine produces, I'm sure the neighborhood wouldn't have been happy. I'm not suprised they said no, they need new land with nothing within a certain distance all around them. Oh well, it would have been nice to have another 400+ ft. Strata Coaster in the U.S.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw.

I mean, they said that the noise wouldn't exceed traffic levels...so why are the residents so worried? I mean you can't hear TTD launching all the way over by MF at Cedar Point, which is about the distance to the neighborhood in Orlando....blegh.

I am totally not surprised by this. The residents didn't want to take what they presumed as a chance if whether it would be a problem for them noise or light wise. I'm not sure how much you can blame them as they just want peace and quiet. I would have loved to see how this turned out and the prospect of as many as 15 new credits.

Awww.. I was kinda hoping they were going to fail in a much more dramatic fashion than by the hands of the planning board. I am a bit surprised as well that the residents of that area showed up to a planning board meeting - it is NOT a very good area at all.

From Screamscape:

???? - Orlando Thrill Park - (4/20/11) Bad news for the Orlando Thrill Park proposal. According to the Orlando Sentinel, the city actually voted against the zoning change requested by the developers due to concerns that noise levels would become troublesome to the nearby neighborhood. Currently the developers have five days to file an appeal.

Meanwhile the Orlando Thrill Park group had no comment, other than to say that they would “regroup”. Sources tell me that the Orlando Thrill Park is not done yet, but for now they will apparently focus on finding a new location for the project, which is kind of a shame, as I think the site they had wasn’t all that bad. Maybe they could work out some sort of land swap between that site and Festival Bay, who doesn’t need the huge lot that they have currently. More as it develops, but for now don’t plan on seeing the Orlando Thrill Park open anywhere for the next several years.

From Screamscape:

???? - Orlando Thrill Park - (4/20/11) Bad news for the Orlando Thrill Park proposal. According to the Orlando Sentinel, the city actually voted against the zoning change requested by the developers due to concerns that noise levels would become troublesome to the nearby neighborhood. Currently the developers have five days to file an appeal.

Meanwhile the Orlando Thrill Park group had no comment, other than to say that they would “regroup”. Sources tell me that the Orlando Thrill Park is not done yet, but for now they will apparently focus on finding a new location for the project, which is kind of a shame, as I think the site they had wasn’t all that bad. Maybe they could work out some sort of land swap between that site and Festival Bay, who doesn’t need the huge lot that they have currently. More as it develops, but for now don’t plan on seeing the Orlando Thrill Park open anywhere for the next several years.

Sources tell me the new location has already been turned down by the local zoning board.

Edited by larrygator

I guessed this would be rejected. I may love roller coasters, but this was always a bad idea. Can we say Six Flags from a decade ago or so?

This is why Legoland, over in far far away, will be successful versus this proposal no matter where the thrill park is located. The only chance this park could possibly survive is smack in the middle of Disney property ... and that's survival by default of convenience.

Maybe they could throw a 10,000 foot tall "London Eye-type" ferris wheel into the proposal. That seems to be the "in" thing these days.

Someone has already proposed a Wheel for Orlando and that never saw the light of day either! Some investors must be getting smart.

Is this what RCT geeks do when they grow up? Set up fantastical, but irrational (from a business sense) proposals that no one with the words "due" and "dilligence" in their vocabulary would throw a dime at?

That being said I'd totally go if they got it up, but I think that will be forever a hypothetical question.

Is this what RCT geeks do when they grow up? Set up fantastical, but irrational (from a business sense) proposals that no one with the words "due" and "dilligence" in their vocabulary would throw a dime at?

I kinda thought about the same. And i think we are many that did that!