TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Baker Leisure Group considers "Orlando Thrill Park"

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, and as happy as I would be to see another 4th Dimension coaster here in the US, I think it might be more advantageous to them to focus on less rides, but more tried and true rides with potentially higher throughput and reliability as well as well rounded ride experiences. For example, instead of an inverted accelerator, why not get one that not only does a 450+ foot tall top hat but also throws in some airtime hills? I don't know what if any non-compete exists regarding B&M coasters, but if it did I would understand why they could not do a Dive Machine, Flying, Sit Down, Floorless or Inverted coaster as all of those already exist in Florida, but they could always go for a Hypercoaster from B&M.

To me, a more sensible lineup would go something like this:

For coasters:

-B&M Hypercoaster

-S&S 4D coaster

-Mack Launched coaster

-Non-inverted Intamin Accelerator with a layout beyond the top hat

-Intamin wooden coaster similar to El Toro

Other rides:

-Intamin Mega Splash

-S&S Power Tower

-Giant Starflyer or Windseeker

-Splashover

-Revolution

That to me would offer more of a variety of thrill experiences without being redundant, and help them to get started off with rides that have a proven (albeit in some instances sketchy) reliability. As much as I think a thrill park is a great idea, I think they're trying to overkill it a shade. And, I cannot help but wonder if a concept like this would perform better in a different demographic than a region which predominantly targets a more balanced family experience and already possesses a more than adequate selection of thrill rides to balance out the family rides.

Actually, I think an Intamin Giga similar to I305 makes sense rather than a B&M Hyper. It's more compact and it's taller. Greying out on the ride may not be as much of an issue in a "Thrill Park". A non-inverted accelerator makes sense as well. Put an inverted impulse in instead like Wicked Twister for an inverted ride. I'd cut out the Mack Launcher simply because the accelerator already gives you a launch as does the impulse coaster. They are different rides but have some similarity there. The ZacSpin they have planned makes sense as does the S&S 4D. Other rides would obviously have to include a drop tower. The S&S makes sense. A Starflyer/Windseeker works too. Also make sure to have some of those European "rides of death". KMG makes crazy rides like this. The SkyQuest ride they have looks pretty cool. They should obviously also have a SkySwing as well. Fun Spot has the tallest already, but make it a few feet taller and your golden.

So here's my list then

Intamin Giga

Intamin Accelerator

Intamin Inverted Impulse

Intamin ZacSpin

S&S 4D

S&S Tower

Starflyer/Windseeker

A couple "rides of death"

SkyQuest

Sky Swing (Worlds Tallest)

I think Elissa will like that list of coasters! There just happens to be lots of Intamin!

For now let's focus the debate on what's has been announced, rather than fantasize about an "ideal" ride line-up.

I'm sure anyone can take a look at the Top 10 wood and steel coasters from Mitch's and mix and match to create a line-up, but let's not assume these investors have unlimited funds (or any funds for this matter).

Edited by larrygator

Complete edit: They will not have the coaster version of the Unicoaster, they will have the flat ride instead (Round Ride Unicoaster)... whoopse, my bad. I really with they could have two different names when I googled it. Here is the website of the different kinds of Unicoasters available: http://www.usthrillrides.com/unicoaster.html

Edited by Midgetman82

^Looks interesting, but not quite as thrilling as the S&S 4D. Definitely will be cheaper though, which the Baker Group will like.

Edit: ^That makes more sense. One of those rides of death.

Edited by beatle11

For now let's focus the debate on what's has been announced, rather than fantasize about an "ideal" ride line-up.

I'm sure anyone can take a look at the Top 10 wood and steel coasters from Mitch's and mix and match to create a line-up, but let's not assume these investors have unlimited funds (or any funds for this matter).

I think fantasy ride line ups are a response to Chuck Bell's interview with Coaster Crew. He said if there was an effort by enthusiasts to chose rides that perhaps one or two could be considered. A top wish list seems like a good idea to me, at least it's fun. Sometimes I think you guys lose sight of that.

I think fantasy ride line ups are a response to Chuck Bell's interview with Coaster Crew. He said if there was an effort by enthusiasts to chose rides that perhaps one or two could be considered. A top wish list seems like a good idea to me, at least it's fun. Sometimes I think you guys lose sight of that.

It's not that we lose sight of that aspect. We just try to keep threads clean in case someone who doesn't regularly view TPR or this thread jumps in, so they will not be confused by various lists of rides/attractions.

It's a balance that the moderators on any site need to judge.

Edited by larrygator

It's going to be called Islands of Misadventure. In particular, I'm looking forward to Mitch Hawker land which will have 2 woodies (Voyage and El Toro clones) and 2 steel coasters (Expedition Ge Force and SFNE Bizarro clones. You are not allowed to leave Mitch Hawker land until you have cast a ballot after actually riding the coasters.

BTW, what's happening with Mitch's poll this year?

But seriously, this park would be the first thing on my agenda if I was heading to Orlando. In the past, I've travelled to Orlando with non coaster enthusiasts and they have been disappointed with the lack of thrills at Disney, so there might be a niche there. But at this stage I'm still extremely sceptical but good luck to them if it happens.

• 2 months later...

Local news said the noise study passed on the Tangelo Park side but was too high on the mall side. A deal will have to be worked out with the mall or a special noise ordinance similar to what Universal has will have to be extended to OTP. That side of the mall is as dead as a mall can be without being closed so they may be in the mood to bargain. A lot to do yet but at least it is moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26952097/detail.html

Plans for a proposed thrill-ride park in Orlando could be up in the air because of noise levels.

The park would be wedged on 78 acres off of International Drive, right next to Tangelo Park and Festival Bay, about 1 mile from Universal Studios.

Experts hired by the developers of Orlando Thrill Park found noise levels at the park would exceed those set by city ordinance. The noise, however, would not affect nearby neighborhoods but instead the parking lot of Festival Bay Mall on International Drive.

The study concluded that most of the noise from the park would be at 70 decibels, the level of cars on the road, but noise pouring out of the north end of the park, into the Festival Bay parking lot and other nearby businesses would be closer to 80 decibels.

Businesses said they would welcome the noise if it brought more customers, something the Festival Bay Mall failed to do.

In October, homeowners told Local 6 News that they were concerned about more traffic in the already congested tourist area.

A hearing on the project will be held in mid-March. The city has to decide if 70 decibels is an acceptable level for the park.

The park would feature a dozen high-speed rides and roller coasters.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26952097/detail.html

The noise, however, would not affect nearby neighborhoods but instead the parking lot of Festival Bay Mall on International Drive.

Haha! I guess Santa Clara lost the title for biggest winers for theme park noise! Seriously though, the sound is too much for a parking lot!? There's gotta be some better reason than that!

I recall heading over to that mall (Festival Bay) with Phillip during winter break at one point, and while he went in, I took a nap in my car.....so the noise would totally ruin my nap!!

In all seriousness, I have no idea why there would be an issue about the parking lot. The homes I can understand, since this isn't really something that can be compared to CGA or other parks with homes near by. This is a park being built into a location where there are already homes nearby, not a park that came before the homes/businesses, and they are complaining about the noise.

-Gary

From what I have heard there may be plans in the works to change the parking area into an open air market. I can see why they would want to try something else, the place is a ghost town. Bass Pro is right next door and is pretty consistently mobbed so those guys are just doing something wrong. I would hate to see that mall be the reason it's not built. The parking garage and existing canal along with the wall will contain the noise on the neighborhood side but I can't see them building anything similar on the mall side. Hopefully a deal can be worked out. There have been exceptions made for other buisnesses so it seems possible to me.

• 1 month later...

http://www.wftv.com/news/27577649/detail.html

Plans to build Central Florida's newest theme park could take a major step forward this week.

Developers want to build what's being called Orlando Thrill Park along International Drive, close to the Tangelo Park neighborhood. A vote set for Tuesday could clear the way for the project and give developers the OK to clear the area.

The 70-acre attraction would be located near Festival Bay Mall. The park would offer 15 rides, including several roller coasters, with its taller, more extreme roller coasters catering to older teens and adults.

The Orlando Municipal Planning Board must approve or deny the land use and zoning changes necessary for the park to be built.

But in the past, the project has been met with heavy opposition by residents of the Tangelo Park community. The park would be built in their back yard, with noise and pollution being there main gripe. Those WFTV spoke to recently had a change of heart.

“I think it will bring in jobs. It'll be a good thing to bring this community together,” said Tangelo Park resident Bruce Lawrence.

However, a recent study indicated the noise would not be worse than street traffic. Developers said they won't allow it to exceed 70 decibels.

"I don't think the noise is going to affect everybody around this neighborhood," said Titus Juma, a Tangelo Park resident.

Developers need zoning approval from the City of Orlando for the new park. The city could grant the park special zoning that would allow it to exceed its current noise ordinance. Only Universal Studios and Church Street have such zoning.

The Orlando Municipal Planning Board is expected to rule on the new park during a public meeting at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday at City Hall.

If built, the new theme park would have the most roller coasters by far of any other area park. Combined, Disney World has four large roller coasters, and Universal also has four. SeaWorld has two large coasters.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-orlando-thrill-park-zoning-20110419,0,3212546.story

Developers of the proposed Orlando Thrill Park pressed a city zoning board for leniency on sound-level requirements during the project's first public hearing today.

The city's planning staff recommended that the Municipal Planning Board approve the thrill-ride park, proposed for a site near the north end of International Drive, but with restrictions to protect residents living in the nearby Tangelo Park neighborhood.

The staff also recommended that the board not approve the developers' request for a "major attractio overlay," which would grant them leniency with sound-level requirements, until they can prove the attraction is drawing the required minimum annual attendance of 750,000 people. Universal Orlando, whose two theme parks feature several large roller coasters, has a major-attraction overlay.

During a 90-minute presentation that ended shortly before noon, the developers pressed the planning board to grant them the major-attraction overlay today, along with their requested zoning and land-use changes.

Once the developers were finished with their presentation, the board began taking public comment. Eighteen people had signed up to speak to the board.

The proposed thrill-ride park would be built between the Tangelo Park neighborhood and Festival Bay Mall in southwest Orlando. The city's planning staff recommended that the park's roller coasters and other thrill rides be restricted to the property's northern half, which is near the mall but farthest from the homes in Tangelo Park. The portion of the site closest to the 60-year-old neighborhood could contain only lower-impact development, such as parking structures.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/27600053/detail.html?utm_source=manual&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wesh+2+news

Orlando's municipal planning board unanimously rejected a proposal that would have brought a new theme park to Orlando. The board rejected three zoning adjustments that were needed for the thrill park.

Developers wanted to build the attraction in the Tangelo Park neighborhood, off of International Drive. It was expected to span 70 acres. Plans included a roller coaster that stood more than 400 feet tall.

The land is currently zoned for apartments and retail space, but developers said they believe the park can thrive in the Tangelo area of Orange County. Developers promised a wall and a canal to keep the noise down for neighbors.

Steve Baker of Orlando Thrill Park Partners, the company behind the proposal, had no comment after the vote.

Many residents showed up to voice their concerns about the plan. "This is an exciting day. We did not think it would go this way. I am so happy for me and our neighbors," said Tangelo Park resident Jana Henry.

"This was a big surprise. The board saw that this was not right for our community and they did the right thing," said Regina Bridges, who also lives in Tangelo Park.

OTP Partners has five days to appeal the planning board rejection to Orlando City Council. The group can also appeal to a quasi judicial hearing officer.

It's expected that City Council will accept or reject the recommendation of the planning board at a May 23 meeting. The planning board's recommendation is to deny the application for zoning changes.

61006849.jpg.4a9e6b5f079075cfc3f363a90430da79.jpg

This rendering shows an aerial view of the proposed Orlando Thrill Park off International Drive, with the Tangelo Park neighborhood to the lower left and Festival Bay Mall on the upper right. (Orlando Thrill Park)

Edited by jedimaster1227