TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Baker Leisure Group considers "Orlando Thrill Park"

Opening everything at once does seem to be a little risky but completely necessary at the same time. You need to make a big splash or you might as well forget it, but it would be good to have something new to hype from time to time as well.

They will either get the money or they wont. The rides would cost a lot but I am sure they have probably figured out the estimated cost and are still interested in going through with it. I mean come on obviously an amusement park is expensive, I am betting they have that part figured out.

The bigger rides would bring in people, that is a no brainer IMO. Keeping people happy beyond that will remain the bigger challenge. 2 to 2.5 million people a year seems reasonable, hell I will be 200 of those people.

For OTP I think the way forward will be easier than it was in MB. There is an obvious difference between Orlando and Myrtle Beach S.C. that I think most everyone here can figure out.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wonder how much the price for admission would be. This does look like a park that is in a great location and will attract a lot of people, but the price to enter might drive them away. People pay to go to Disney World, Sea World, Universal, Aquatica, and all those other parks because they know that they have something special in them thats makes them quality parks. What would it look like if a Six Flags park opened in Orlando? (I am not comparing Orlando Thrill Park with Six Flags)

Edited by Midgetman82

I still think this park will fail. This guy doesn't seem to have a sound plan, and the park has nothing unique about it. I, for one, can find all the rides they listed, if not better rides, in my homepark. And assuming there are eight roller coasters, HALF the ride will be Vekoma's!? The park really should focus on quality instead of quantity. All the rides seem, like Knotts, to last a very short period of time. Even the ZacSpin will be the smaller model. The only ride that looks of interest to be is the Blue Fire clone, assuming the layout on the park map is accurate. Anyway, it seems like all the rides are clones.

^I'm in no way saying this park is going to prevail, but you also have to understand that the GP love Vekomas, in particular SLC's. Most of us coaster geeks can't stand to think about going on them, except for the credit, but 'normal' people think they're just the bee's knees. Their whole concept is to bring those coaster from across the country (and world), that do very well and bring them to the Orlando area. So in many respects, that is the quality behind it all. Vekoma coasters are economical and popular, I hate to say it.

Again, I don't think this is going to fly, but their concept will make most GP cream.

^I'm in no way saying this park is going to prevail, but you also have to understand that the GP love Vekomas, in particular SLC's. Most of us coaster geeks can't stand to think about going on them, except for the credit, but 'normal' people think they're just the bee's knees.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. My niece and nephew visited Discovery Kingdom last year, and liked every coaster there--except for the SLC. They said it was just one long headache.

Yeah the SLC seems to be only weak link in the line-up although if it opens with the new style Vekoma SLC trains it might not be awful. I'm strangely optimistic about the idea of this park. I live 2 hours from Orlando and don't regularly visit the major park chains. I visit Orlando a lot for various events, sports, shopping, concerts etc but all the major parks are expensive and not that easy to drop into for a few hours here and there. This place just might be. And I think i could justify driving 2 hours to ride a 4-D and a Intamin Rockit once every couple of months. It may not be the best idea but I sure hope this place sees the light of day.

We don't even no for sure what will be here but I agree on the SLC. The new trains could make it rideable I personally don't know. Anyone been on Morey pier's SLC?

I think they will try to come in a little under what the other parks cost, probably 55 or 60 bucks. If they charge too much they will certainly lose their money.

Edited by dragonskeep

In my demented little mind I can see admission being upwards of 60 or 70 bucks. They have to try and recoup some of that money somehow in a short amount of time. Like others have said, it seems a bit risky with the "troublesome" rides they are selecting. And to think they want to steal a day away from a family planning a week long vacation to Disney, that really seems like wishful thinking. Spending the money to get to Disney usually means you are gonna stay there and see and do all they have to offer. That in itself takes more than a week, I don't see people jaunting off to some high priced park to ride stuff they have at most parks close to their home anyway.

I'm also a little surprised a form of hyper coaster is not included in the list of attractions. That would seem like the next in line a few years after opening. Plus, an I305 would make this park 200% better than it already is. I'm getting way too excited, and I probably won't ever get to attend the park. *sigh* I'll just have to keep going to Magic Mountain instead.

The ride roster really just doesn't seem to have much thought to me. As stated before, what good is a SLC when there's Dueling Dragons next door and Montu further up. Same with the Stingray. I guess I also have a difficult time imagining some of these rides--a 430 ft. INVERTED rocket coaster seems a little too far fetched to be true. And same goes for the Mack launch coaster--as nice as it sounds, is it really going to draw people in when Cheetah Hunt will be located at another park an hour away, along with a bunch of other BETTER version of attractions proposed for the Orlando Thrill Park. In my opinion, they should try something much more unique. The ZacSpin is nice, but even that is the shorter model. I'm not too sure how S&S will execute the 4th Dimension Coaster--it may be the parks only high point. Instead the park should have been built rides that can't be found in the Orlando area.

The park does sound like it may be enjoyable for a day, but I still don't see it succeeding. Busch Garden's coaster collection already looks better than this and the theming is way more enjoyable than the "Thrill" theming. Sometimes, while reading interviews, I truly feel like they are saying things to be cute, but it really does sound stupid to me, take "no theming" for example. I agree, as well, the park is really missing a hyper coaster, its one of the rides that you CAN'T find in Orlando.

^^ I would say they probably chose the standard SLC due to the fact the footprint is much smaller and the park has a very small size, and they hope to fit a lot in. Thats probably another reason they went after this pretzel coaster...their space limitations. Hope it has improvements though...maybe the new train design??

^ As mentioned, a hyper, or regular giga take up a lot of room. It would probably have the largest space requirement in the park. They probably dont have that kind of room to play with. At least an inverted TTD is a long and skinny foot print. (I will end my post there and wait for the chuckling of long and skinny)

Not even a B&M in the mix? If anything a hyper would draw more guests than some of the gimmicks they want to put in. Some say no space for a hyper - why not a hyper twister? Raging Bull packs a lot of coaster in it's space.

Instead of the Vekoma Stingray just swap that for an Intamin Impulse, another ride not found in Florida.

I also think the S&S 4th Dimension is a very expensive risk. Why not just put in an S&S Screamin' Swing like Skyhawk?

I don't even know what to think of that Dive Pretzel.

The ride roster really just doesn't seem to have much thought to me. As stated before, what good is a SLC when there's Dueling Dragons next door and Montu further up. Same with the Stingray. I guess I also have a difficult time imagining some of these rides--a 430 ft. INVERTED rocket coaster seems a little too far fetched to be true. And same goes for the Mack launch coaster--as nice as it sounds, is it really going to draw people in when Cheetah Hunt will be located at another park an hour away, along with a bunch of other BETTER version of attractions proposed for the Orlando Thrill Park. In my opinion, they should try something much more unique. The ZacSpin is nice, but even that is the shorter model. I'm not too sure how S&S will execute the 4th Dimension Coaster--it may be the parks only high point. Instead the park should have been built rides that can't be found in the Orlando area.

The park does sound like it may be enjoyable for a day, but I still don't see it succeeding. Busch Garden's coaster collection already looks better than this and the theming is way more enjoyable than the "Thrill" theming. Sometimes, while reading interviews, I truly feel like they are saying things to be cute, but it really does sound stupid to me, take "no theming" for example. I agree, as well, the park is really missing a hyper coaster, its one of the rides that you CAN'T find in Orlando.

I guarantee you that if by some miracle they actually open a park with this lineup of rides, they will have no problem getting butts through the turnstiles! The problem here is not so much the ride lineup, but the feasibility of actually making it a reality.

I would guess Universal/Sea World might have a deal with B&M that could prevent any other Orlando park from building one of their coasters.

I highly doubt that because Kraken and Manta were both built after all of the IOA coasters and long before their ultimate "owner" was the same entity. It would seem to me that B&M is just out of their price range for what they're wanting to do. 14 coasters sounds impressive, throwing in the price of a B&M can greatly reduce the money left for other coasters. 10 with a B&M? 8? 6? It all depends on what they're doing, and while there are some smaller foot print B&Ms... most of the things they're showing are fractions of the size of most of the recent B&Ms.

Just my opinion, and as happy as I would be to see another 4th Dimension coaster here in the US, I think it might be more advantageous to them to focus on less rides, but more tried and true rides with potentially higher throughput and reliability as well as well rounded ride experiences. For example, instead of an inverted accelerator, why not get one that not only does a 450+ foot tall top hat but also throws in some airtime hills? I don't know what if any non-compete exists regarding B&M coasters, but if it did I would understand why they could not do a Dive Machine, Flying, Sit Down, Floorless or Inverted coaster as all of those already exist in Florida, but they could always go for a Hypercoaster from B&M.

To me, a more sensible lineup would go something like this:

For coasters:

-B&M Hypercoaster

-S&S 4D coaster

-Mack Launched coaster

-Non-inverted Intamin Accelerator with a layout beyond the top hat

-Intamin wooden coaster similar to El Toro

Other rides:

-Intamin Mega Splash

-S&S Power Tower

-Giant Starflyer or Windseeker

-Splashover

-Revolution

That to me would offer more of a variety of thrill experiences without being redundant, and help them to get started off with rides that have a proven (albeit in some instances sketchy) reliability. As much as I think a thrill park is a great idea, I think they're trying to overkill it a shade. And, I cannot help but wonder if a concept like this would perform better in a different demographic than a region which predominantly targets a more balanced family experience and already possesses a more than adequate selection of thrill rides to balance out the family rides.