TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Baker Leisure Group considers "Orlando Thrill Park"

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really gets me is that it's proposed on 70 acres of land. 70. I mean, it's decent sized, but if someone REALLY wanted to develop a thrill park, you'd think they'd go at LEAST 150 acres. I just can't see fitting all they want to build there successfully on 70 acres. Really? 70?

Disney's California Adventure is built on only 55 acres of land. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is 42 acres. Nick Universe is only built on 7 acres. So it IS possible to do a lot with a small plot of lands.

They say this park would be built on International Drive. WHERE on I-Drive? Unless you're talking about the end down by where the Orlando Premium Outlets are that has a lot of undeveloped land (or maybe golf courses)... going south (or is it west?) from Sea World. Yeah I could see that. But the rest of I-Drive is all hotels, shopping/restaurants & cheesy attractions.

They say this park would be built on International Drive. WHERE on I-Drive? Unless you're talking about the end down by where the Orlando Premium Outlets are that has a lot of undeveloped land (or maybe golf courses)... going south (or is it west?) from Sea World. Yeah I could see that. But the rest of I-Drive is all hotels, shopping/restaurants & cheesy attractions.

It's on the other end of International Drive,the north section, just south of the crappy Festival Bay mall and closer to what used to be the Prime Outlets which are now also known as Orlando Premium Outlets,this one is Orlando Premium Outlets International Drive and the other one on the southern end of I-Drive closer to Sea World is now known as Orlando Premium Outlets Vineland ave.

For everyone's benefit, Baker Leisure Group are NOT building or operating this park. Steve Baker himself is involved not his company.

I am excited about this new park and hope it advances through the different stages and gets built. Iain is correct and knows what he is talking about. This project is made up of a few different individuals, Steve Baker being one of them. I was excited to see the news coverage on this and look forward to future press releases with real information. So far this appears to be just place setter artwork, drawings and logos. This information was not released for media consumption, but it got leaked and now we all have something new to talk about.

Why destroy more woods next door? Demolish the mall that has their other failed project - the canceled surfpark. Freestyle Music Park - didn't they just manage Cypress Gardens too? More fails.

Festival Bay Mall is pretty much a big FAIL as malls go (too bad as it's HUGE and would be awesome if it was full of great shops). But the Vans Skate Park that's in there is pretty popular from what I saw when I was there in July, plus there's the big Bass Pro Shop, which is one of the most messed up stores EVER, which makes it awesome. And with the Prime/Premium Outlets right next door (and that outlet mall is HUGE), that area is just too cluttered with shops and restaurants to have an amusement park plopped down there too.

Yeah, this will be about as successful as... I can't even come up with a comparison to how terrible this idea sounds, not even HRP/FMP. Who would even think of putting a seemingly un-themed concrete world anywhere near parks as wildly successful as Disney, SeaWorld Entertainment, Universal, and Lego Land. Most of the coaster models have been explored in the Central Florida area anyhow. Sure we are lacking in "Tall Coasters" but just because a coaster is tall doesn't mean it will be good. The fact that some of the coasters would have to have approval from the FAA doesn't impress me. Another bad idea from the BLG

There is some concept art floating around that shows a ride themed to Tron. There is also a ride like Max Air. The art actually looks great. They want to build a ride like Dragster(maybe that would be the Tron ride), an S&S 4D, a 312 foot drop tower, a Zacspin, and other coaster designs. If any new park is gonna work this one would have a chance. Really doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

Problem is , the nearby home owners seem to not like the idea of it being there. Usual problems, roads and noise. However, our current Mayor likes to build stuff and the developers say they can address those issues.

I have to admit, when there slide show included a picture of Dragster I got a little too excited. I will TP all of Tangelo Park if they block this.

http://www.wesh.com/money/25399525/detail.html here is a news story.

http://www.examiner.com/florida-travel-in-national/orlando-thrill-park-picture Some concept art can be found here.

I think this falls in the too good to be true category but what they are proposing looks like a far better park than any of the failures mentioned here.

There is some concept art floating around that shows a ride themed to Tron. There is also a ride like Max Air. The art actually looks great. They want to build a ride like Dragster(maybe that would be the Tron ride), An S&S 4D, a 312 foot drop tower, a Zacspin, what looks like a woodie, and other coaster designs. If any new park is gonna work this one would have a chance. Really doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

http://www.wesh.com/money/25399525/detail.html here is a news story.

http://www.examiner.com/florida-travel-in-national/orlando-thrill-park-picture Some concept art can be found here.

I think this falls in the too good to be true category but what they are proposing looks like a far better park than any of the failures mentioned here.

Agreed. This plan is very intriguing, but I do think much of the art work is place holder material just to show the scope not the content. At least the group is reaching out to the local community and seeking their input. Hopefully the local Tangelo Park residents will embrace this.

Wait a second, that can't be the actual concept art, right? That's a picture of Delirium at King's Island from Coasterimage.com and ElecTRONica concept art. I'm not sure what I hope for more: the news being incompetent as usual or the people running the park being just as incompetent.

Wait a second, that can't be the actual concept art, right? That's a picture of Delirium at King's Island from Coasterimage.com and ElecTRONica concept art. I'm not sure what I hope for more: the news being incompetent as usual or the people running the park being just as incompetent.

I knew that was Delerium but I didnt know the other image was also an existing concept. They used those images in a meeting with home owners to show them the types of rides they wished to build. That is the impression i got at least. I know they showed the 4D and Dragster in there presentation so I guess they probaly used all existing images. That makes sense being that they still have a big challenge just in getting approval. I will work on getting better info, that was pretty lame.

I would love to see these rides come to Orlando, I think we could support it. But, again, come huge or don't do it.

There is some concept art floating around that shows a ride themed to Tron.

So they want to build a theme park close to other nearby theme parks that are based on movies like Jurassic Park, Harry Potter & Pirates of the Caribbean and have a ride/coaster themed to....Tron?

This sounds like it could be an SNL sketch with Amy Poehler and Seth Myers...Tron? Really? The only thing I remember about Tron was that the video game was more popular than the movie! What's next, a ride themed to Pong or Donkey Kong? I mean really! REALLY?

I think a Donkey Kong ride could really only be a ropes course. It is a theme park so I bet we wont get to keep all those coins.

My plan wouldn't try to do any themeing. Just a nice atmosphere, keep it as green as you can. Nice lights at night are a must. And misters, a lot of misters. Build big rides. Don't suck at anything, this includes food.

They used those images in a meeting with home owners to show them the types of rides they wished to build. That is the impression i got at least. I know they showed the 4D and Dragster in there presentation so I guess they probaly used all existing images. That makes sense being that they still have a big challenge just in getting approval. I will work on getting better info, that was pretty lame.

It's incredibly lame. We do concept pitches for new games all the time here in my studio. I know that I can get a concept sketch of something done for around $100 per image, and get it done in about a day.

Our TPR trip T-Shirt designs, we'll have thumbnails and sketches done in easily a day, with the finals done a couple of days later. Artwork, especially sketched out concepts, is NOT that difficult or expensive to put together.

For a company to be pitching the idea using existing photos or imagery from the web, and not even bother to crop out the watermarks or licensed properties is just very amatuer.

--Robb

^Miami might work, but to me they are more suited to a boardwalk type park for the whole family rather than a "thrill park". Another state makes more sense. Vegas actually seems like the type of location they would thrive in.

I have been thinking about this for years. But in reality, I am wondering who will be a water park hotel here in the desert. The only thing family oriented here in Vegas is Circus Circus or Hoover Dam. Plus there are a ton of families coming here to vacation. Vegas needs something like this.

^ Yeah, but regardless of whether it's a home owner's meeting or not, it's not like they just thought up the plan for this park the night before. It really doesn't matter who you're presenting to, a lack of professionalism relays a lack of confidence and knowledge of your field.

And for the .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that this plan ever sees even an ounce of the light of day, I'd highly recommend any potential contractors, talent, etc. etc. to peruse this.

Scott "wouldn't even lend them my shovel for groundbreaking ceremonies" B.