TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Thread

Iron Shark looks like a solid little Eurofighter! And I must admit, the gimmick of having the brake run sit slightly over the edge of the pier is a neat one.

That being said, I still think that Bubba Gumps is the thing I'm most excited about eventually checking out whenever I make it out to the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey just wanted to let you all know that Galveston now charges you to park on the Seawall. It was free to park in front of the Galveston Pleasure Pier but now you will have to pay to park. They still have paid parking across the street but if your just doing a credit run for Iron Shark. It's not bad at just $1 an hour. Here is a run down on the parking prices.

Seawall Paid Parking:

Fee: $1/hour, not to exceed $8/day or $25/year annual pass

Hours of Operation: 10am-6pm daily

Payment Options: Pay by phone, select seawall businesses

It's a $17 dollar fine. I know that because my friend got a ticket yesterday while in Galveston. Just wanted to give you all a heads up in case you plan to come to Galveston Pleasure Pier anytime soon.

^ Paid parking areas will include the north and south sides of Seawall Boulevard from 6th to 69th Streets and 81st to 103rd Streets. The area between 69th and 81st Streets will be free of charge. The pier for reference is located on 25th street.

Here is a story from ABC Houston on it.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9226822

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this is a three-year bump, but I hope everyone near this park, and Texas/Louisiana in general, stays safe during Hurricane Harvey. Apparently it is going to hit Galveston VERY hard, and I don't even know how I would react if Iron Shark ended up in the ocean. I'm sure the park has taken necessary precautions, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

It'll be fine. There's a live cam if you want to keep an eye on things.

The storm is 190 miles south of Galveston. They have a Tropical Storm warning but no Hurricane Warning. Galveston may have storm surge issues but that won't have any impact on the pier. More importantly the nearby The Poop Deck bar (made famous for throwing a hurricane party at their bar on the seawall during Hurricane Ike, declaring that We’re not about to break our streak over some Category 2 nonsense.” is throwing a Hurricane Party starting at 8 PM. When we finally get to Galveston we're absolutely hitting this place up. They're amazing .

Edit: The insane rain bands seem to be triggering Iron Shark's camera which is sort of funny. At first I thought they were power flashes but fear not, it's just taking tons of pictures of rain.

This particular pier is quite honestly an absolute beast in terms of it's construction. Unlike the wooden pier in Seaside, this pier is made entirely of concrete and steel and has existed since the early 40's. Now, to be fair... the original amusement park that was on the pier was destroyed by a hurricane in 1941 and the hotel that replaced it was destroyed by Hurricane Ike in 2008 but the pier itself wasn't damaged by either of them so a "Hurricane Sandy" situation is unlikely here. The first park built on the pier was built in the early 40's and the hotel was built in the early 60's so I would think that the structures on the current pier that were built with modern technology and full knowledge of what happened to the last 2 things they built on the pier would be built to withstand something much more powerful than a tropical storm.

That being said, I am a little concerned watching this canvas roof on the carousel but some insane bands came through earlier and it's currently sitting pretty.

That being said, I am a little concerned watching this canvas roof on the carousel but some insane bands came through earlier and it's currently sitting pretty.

That was the first thing I noticed when I turned on the cameras. I was like "Damn, that canvas looks like it's about to fly away!" But it has held strong!

Its a interesting feed to watch. The water looks CRAZY!!

After what happened with Sandy I was a little worried when I heard about this storm, but that's good to hear that the storm itself is that many miles from the mainland.

it's going to come ashore at Category 3, between Corpus and Galveston.

(as of 20 minutes ago, it's literally 1mph below category 3, which is why they are still saying category 2).

yeah, Galveston is going to get a lot of flooding from storm surge, but not as bad as if the storm came ashore above it, instead of the projected path (below Galveston & above Corpus).

so yeah, Corpus Christi is gonna take the brunt of the Hurricane damage, but Galveston, Houston, and San Antonio will get heavy flooding, and likely power loss. . .but at least that's not major structural damage (most times).

bert - "grew up in Houston and lived in Texas for over 45 years, so not too concerned about Gulf Hurricanes unless they are Category 4 or higher and headed straight for Galveston)

The guy who owns Kemah and Galveston Pier will rebuild. Just like the rest of us after each storm. I could honestly care less if Iron Shark went to the ocean. I'm more worried about my friends and family homes in and near Galveston.

Obviously nobody's first concern with this storm is with a Euro Fighter in Galveston, but it is an amusement park and coaster forum so you can't blame anyone here for talking about the pier.

PS: Also I don't think they'll need to rebuild anything since the storm is making landfall over one hundred miles from Galveston and Galveston does not have a mandatory evacuation or hurricane warning in place.

It'll be fine. There's a live cam if you want to keep an eye on things.

The storm is 190 miles south of Galveston. They have a Tropical Storm warning but no Hurricane Warning. Galveston may have storm surge issues but that won't have any impact on the pier.

This seems like a bizarre display of confidence to me - you declare it will be fine, so it will?

Hurricane Harvey has strengthened to a Category 4 storm, with landfall in Texas imminent.

The storm, which has maximum sustained winds of 130 mph with even stronger gusts, is expected to be the worst to hit the state in decades. The last Category 4 storm to hit the U.S. was Charley in 2004 in Florida, while the last Category 4 storm to hit Texas was Carla in 1961.

After it hits land, it's projected to drift back up towards Galveston ... then Houston. There have been multiple tornado warnings, too.

I certainly hope you're right, but as unpredictable as the damage from a hurricane can be it seems odd to so boldly declare that it will be "fine".

The big threat to Houston and Galveston if the storm stalls and drifts that way is flooding. The winds aren't likely to still be at the level that they saw with Ike and, even if they are, this looks more like a glancing blow on Galveston than a direct hit. That being said, I wouldn't say that any part of the Texas coast is in the clear. Ike was much worse than originally predicted.

it seems odd to so boldly declare that it will be "fine".

Not really because Galveston isn't getting hit by the hurricane. They have a tropical storm warning calling for gusts up to 40 MPH. They don't have a hurricane warning or a mandatory evacuation. The hurricane made landfall almost 200 files away. See, look... nobody cares