TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Tiger & Turtle" Magic Mountain - Angerpark;Duisburg-GERMANY

At first I have to say, I wasn´t sure wether I post this news here or in the "Random" Topic, but I thought it´s coaster related and like my description tells... it could be a Jeff Johnson Credit So be soft on me:

"Tiger & Turtle - Magic Mountain" is the name of a huge sculpture by Heike Mutter and Ulrich Genth being built in the south of Duisburg as a stunning new landmark for the Ruhr region. Resembling the shape of a rollercoaster, the sculpture will be located on Heinrich-Hildebrand-Höhe in the Angerpark, which opened in 2008.

Heike Mutter and Ulrich Genth's work will be a remarkable symbol of a new, unique metropolis. With its curved design, the sculpture crowns the highest point of the spoil tip, mimicking its spiralling pathways. Viewed from afar, the metallic shimmering shape of the rollercoaster on the "Magic Mountain" appears to promise a thrilling high-speed experience. Closer up, visitors can storm the sculpture on foot, following the rollercoaster's twists and turns, and admiring the surrounding landscape from different perspectives. Then, at a height of 85 metres above sea level, the sculpture will offer an enthralling panorama of the Rhine.

The materials used, steel and zinc, tie in historically with the location - this is where zinc was once produced, and Krupp Mannesmann, a major steel-processing company, is situated here. "Tiger & Turtle - Magic Mountain" will be admired and enjoyed by all - whether those who conquer its height or residents and visitors who view it from a distance. The sculpture and its dramatic curves will be brightly lit at night. As such, Duisburg's new attraction is sure to further enrich the Ruhr region's light art scene and collection of landmarks.

This project is sponsored by the district government of Münster with funds from the Emscher-Lippe ecology programme of the Ministry for the Environment and Environmental Protection, Agriculture and Consumer Protection of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia.

Heinrich-Hildebrand-Höhe in the Angerpark, Duisburg-Wanheim

Berzeliusstrasse

End of 2010

Admission is free and open to the public

Project partners: City of Duisburg, Münster district government, NRW Ministry for the Environment, bk2a architektur (Cologne), designtoproduction (Stuttgart), ifb frohloff staffa kühl ecker (Berlin)

Essen for the RUHR.2010 - European Capitol of Culture

Here are some photo-artworks of the skulpture (sad we can´t walk through the looping )

Landmarke_Angerpark_Bild_Mutter_Genth_nachts_artikel.jpg.d89caa426275abd91954aa64997b33a2.jpg

530_530_0024928262-0054363624.JPG.jpg.735ff9814159593d44ca90a542239108.jpg

1990276_m3t1w564h376q75v51467_xio-fcmsimage-20100907180439-006002-4c8662975d662.3855418.jpg.fe3e0b7cb037965943dbcdbe3491b1cb.jpg

1219324_m0w756h504q75s1v54436_achterbahn1.jpg.92b617b709641121fd82dde8947c84be.jpg

Edited by Ledgy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, sorry, I forgot about that details from the german part of the page:

Technical Details:

• - Access: walkthrough, except the looping area
    - Length (devided): 200 m / (140 m und 60 m)
    - Material: steel
    - Object Height: 20,04 m (Top of the Looping)
    - Number of walkable steps: 249
    - Weight: 60 t (Supports / Main Pipe) + 33 t (Track)
    - Track Width: 1 m

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I just came across this, so time for a bump with a new article.

http://www.dezeen.com/2011/11/23/tiger-and-turtle-magic-mountain-by-heike-mutter-and-ulrich-genth/

Really cool stuff. I'm a big fan of funky architecture and this would definitely qualify. I wonder if they've held time trials of people running through the structure to get a top speed, haha.