TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Star Wars to be Re-released in 3-D

Movieguy

http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/10/star-wars-3d-rerelease/

I'm not the typical anti-3D ranter you see all over the internet. I love 3-D, and the way it is now, you can do so many cool things with it. Avatar, for all of its minor flaws as a film, really did a great job of showing 3D's promise.

But this...this over-saturation of 3D re-releases, last minute conversions, and the like...it's going to kill and bury 3D yet again, and I don't want that.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the big beefs I have with Hollywood. Unfortunately for what seems like a good 95% of Hollywood, money is the only thing that matters. It's not about telling a story anymore, it's about throwing together a half-a$$ed film as quickly as possible, toss a gimmick on it, and charge us $12 to see it. Almost every animated film these days is being released in 3D, and there has been talk of re-releasing TITANIC in 3D.

SERIOUSLY?

While I agree about over-saturation of 3D..honestly, it's probably the least harmful thing George Lucas has done to the franchise - and, if done well, I wouldn't say no to seeing the original trilogy in 3D, especially if it means seeing the films on a big ol' cinema screen again.

I heard they're releasing them in chronological order, once a year, as well.

That means in 2012, they'll release Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

Then, a year later, Attack of the Clones.

Which means it'll be 2015 before they release the original trilogy, and 2017 when they complete it. I don't know about you guys, but that's the single most disappointing thing I've heard in a long time.

I don't know about you guys, but that's the single most disappointing thing I've heard in a long time.

I don't mind 3-D done well. But, I agree that "Attack of the Clones" coming back to movie theaters is a bad, bad thing.

I hope that people understand that hollywood is a business, and your nostalgia/opinions really have no monetary value. While you may not like some of the things george lucas has done, he has allowed thousands of people to find employment, and provide for their families.

I hope that people understand that hollywood is a business, and your nostalgia/opinions really have no monetary value. While you may not like some of the things george lucas has done, he has allowed thousands of people to find employment, and provide for their families.

Lol.

You think that opinions don't matter in hollywood? Someone takes a look at George Lucas releasing some terrible movies (1-3) and goes, i'm not wasting my money on that. Yeh that's money that hollywood aren't getting.

Now what if Robb began releasing Coasters in the Raw in 3d?

On a serious note, I still have yet to see a movie in 3d. Honestly, I rarely go to the theater to watch a movie as I really don't feel like shelling out $10 plus another $10 for overpriced popcorn and a drink. Let alone the price to tack on a 3d showing of the movie...I'll pass. Could this trend eventually happen with video games, re-releasing popular titles with a 3d add-on?

Every movie in the series is a resounding financial success.

That is exactly the problem. They are getting re-released solely for the purpose of making more money. Not to contribute to the modern day culture spectrum, but to make more money. I understand that money makes the world go round, and I like money too, but sometimes, a line needs to be drawn, somewhere in between "greed" and "originality".

Every movie in the series is a resounding financial success.

That is exactly the problem. They are getting re-released solely for the purpose of making more money. Not to contribute to the modern day culture spectrum, but to make more money. I understand that money makes the world go round, and I like money too, but sometimes, a line needs to be drawn, somewhere in between "greed" and "originality".

You do realize that probably every movie you've ever seen in a theater was created to 'make as much money possible' right? Look at what studios are making today.. you call any of that crap art? Please. Better to re-release old good movies than sit through the crap they part together today.

Its not as if nobody tried to make the prequel trilogy good, and its not as if nobody enjoyed them. Furthermore, the practice of focusing on money does not detract from the integrity of artists. People who want to make money have ultimate control over the release simply because they are making it possible for these massively expensive undertakings to be made. This is the nature of the business, and the way it will exist forever.

An important factor to think about, I think, is that one's group of friends, their age group peers, and their corner of the internet is not so good of an indicator of popular opinion. When you do invest a good amount of time in a field, you develop certain (I respect dedication, and I would personally label these as "good" or "better than popular") opinions about the field, and those opinions are almost always unpopular (or perhaps they are opinions in an area where the general public has little to no opinions en masse, such as the aspects of roller coasters which we all care about here).

What I mean by this is that you may wish that movies were more suited to your tastes (and I might strongly agree with you!), but the world votes with dollars, and dollars are the only reason these movies even exist! If people did not follow the maxim of making money, then everyone involved in making movies would be losing money, and the film industry would simply vanish. Having said that, people who have honed opinions on movies face two challenges: They are a small demographic and therefore contribute small amounts of money towards movies that suit their taste, and they have very high standards and respect originality above all else (and originality becomes an incrementally less available commodity every time an original work is produced.)

Luckily, independant moviemaking is on the rise! Movies are becoming cheaper and cheaper to make better and better in this fashion, and the products every year in this field is phenomenal. Just don't expect the hollywood (effects, music, well-paid professionalism) magic to flow where the money does not.

There are movies for everyone! I think it is irrational, though, that people complain about the actions of popular movie productions (or any entertainment), when it is really the populous that makes these decisions, not the idea of some fatcat who is demeaning the name of good taste for a quick dollar.

(I've tried my best to say this without demeaning anyone else's ideas, but only to provide my own)