TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was folk metal night last night for me. Went to see Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow and Tyr in Toronto. Tyr was WAY better than I remember them being, Moonsorrow kicked ass as always and Korpiklaani is just too much fun.

Here are some pictures!

Tyr!

Moonsorrow!

Korpiklaani!

Saw Band of Horses and My Morning Jacket in Charlotte last weekend, amazing show. Both bands were fantastic and played great sets and the Charlotte Uptown Ampitheatre at the North Carolina Music factory was an awesome venue, I would highly recommend seeing a show there sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Music Midtown Festival in Atlanta this past Saturday (9-22). Plenty of bands were there for the viewing for anyone who wished to do so, but it would have been just as well if there weren't. The reason for attending was Pearl Jam, and they were superb. This being a festival meant their setlist was going to be a greatest hits sort of show- in order to cater to a broad audience, but musically they were very tight- something that surprised me a bit considering they just wrapped up a European tour and played only two dates since that, one Labor Day Weekend in Philly, the other the night before at Pensacola Beach. Noticed a lot of people throughout the city/at SFOG/and at the airport (even on our flight) the entire weekend who traveled from all over the place for the PJ show. Great show, great great city, great weekend.

Saw Madonna last night at the Verizon Center. And while ultamietly she is a great entertainer who still has it, I couldn't help but feel like I was watching one giant train wreck of a show. It just really made me Iwish I could've seen her 10 years ago before all the auto tune club music stuff became her thing.

Went to Music Midtown Festival in Atlanta this past Saturday (9-22). Plenty of bands were there for the viewing for anyone who wished to do so, but it would have been just as well if there weren't. The reason for attending was Pearl Jam, and they were superb. This being a festival meant their setlist was going to be a greatest hits sort of show- in order to cater to a broad audience, but musically they were very tight- something that surprised me a bit considering they just wrapped up a European tour and played only two dates since that, one Labor Day Weekend in Philly, the other the night before at Pensacola Beach. Noticed a lot of people throughout the city/at SFOG/and at the airport (even on our flight) the entire weekend who traveled from all over the place for the PJ show. Great show, great great city, great weekend.

We were also in attendance. All in all, it was a pretty fun lineup (Garbage, Ludacris, Neon Trees, Florence and the Machine, Girl Talk, and Pearl Jam), and I was happy to finally hear Florence and the Machine live. That chick can wail!! Wow. But being the die-hard PJ fan that I am, I was anxious to see them for the fourth time, and the first in over a decade (not sure why they never seem to visit ATL?). I've now seen 'em at least once in each of the last three decades, and considering the state of today's music scene, that makes me incredibly happy to see their longevity.

As you mentioned, the setlist was one of their weaker ones, but obviously geared towards the festival crowd....which I had no problem with (they could play the phone book to me, and I'd be okay with it though). Their performance Saturday night was tight as always. The thing that pleasantly surprised me was that you could honestly tell how the overwhelming crowd (52,000 strong) seemed to energize them. Eddie even made several mentions about how good it was to look out onto that sea of humanity, and it definitely put a charge in Mike McCready. Dude played with renewed vigor all night, and I'm just sad that the local noise ordinance killed the show much earlier than the band had hoped, because I was looking forward to hearing him on Ledbetter that night. Oh well.

Great show, great weather, and God I still loves me some Pearl Jam. Easily my generation's Led Zeppelin. Now I just need a Ticket Oak in order to travel and follow them more often.

Eddie.thumb.jpg.e5e926b33c31dcd49cafe690e38b11eb.jpg

Last week we went to see Grizzly Bear. The show was sold out on Ripoffmaster, so we decided to go to the venue on the day of the show. Lucky we did, because there were still seats left. 11th row back, center aisle! And we only paid $35 per instead of $47! Amazing show, great band to see live, they sound even better live than they do on their albums.

I went to see Dragonforce on Saturday, it was pretty fun for a gig that isn't really my style of music. They were supported by Alestorm who were great!

The crowd was awesome, heavy metal fans are surprisingly nice given the kind if music, there was a much better vibe than rock gigs.

Slash on Thursday, should be good

^Metal fans get a bad reputation that is totally undeserved. Metal crowds are some of the most polite and easy to deal with of any genre. Sure, if there's a pit it can get a bit rowdy, but even then most people are cool and will stop and help people get up that have been knocked down and stuff.

My next show is Peter Gabriel later this week. Can't wait!

dt

^^^^ My last concert was the Offspring also. I saw them at Avila Beach (an outdoor venue on a golf course next to the beach) on Wed Oct 3. You must of seen them in San Jose the night before I saw them I'm guessing. They were awesome and their opening acts Neon Trees and Dead Sara were really good too.

Here's a quote Offspring put on their Facebook page as their concert was at the same time as the first presidential debate

The Offspring

October 4 via Twitter

They should have had the #debate in San Luis O'fuckenBisbo cuz that's where the love was at. Am I right? -N

http://www.facebook.com/Offspring

Good times

I've probably seen about a thousand or so bands live at this point, but I can say that Peter Gabriel last night is easily in the top ten best shows I've ever seen. The production, the sounds, the music, everything was perfect. Of course, playing all of SO as the latter half of the show made it extra-amazing. And this was easily the best use of live video I've ever seen at a concert. Last night was the last show of the tour, but whenever he tours again, I highly recommend going, especially if you've never seen him live.

dt

I bought tickets last week for MUSE in Tampa in February, looking forward to it. I saw them open for U2 a few years back and it was a great set, but short since they were just the opener. A Headlining tour should be amazballs.

Haha, I bought tickets to MUSE in Calgary!

They won't disappoint. I worked The Resistance Tour in 2010 and it was AMAZING.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Halloween. What goes well with Halloween? Metal goes well with Halloween. So, that being the case, a friend and I ventured to Toronto to see Epica and Alestorm.

Alestorm came out first and in true Halloween spirit, were in costume. They were all dressed as Batman characters and announced that Alestorm couldn't make it, but instead Christian Balestorm would be performing. They proceeded to play a full set, but changed the lyrics so that instead of being about pirates, they were about Batman.

For instance, the song "Captain Morgan's Revenge" became "Comissioner Gordon's Revenge" or "Rum" simply became "Bats". All in all, it was one of the funnier concert moments I've experienced if only because it was so wacky and different.

After a brief break, Epica came out and proceeded to melt everyone's faces. They played a truly epic set that lasted almost 2 hours. Most of Epica's songs are quite long (i.e., 7-8 minutes), so it was to be expected. But, with awesome symphonic metal, that doesn't really matter too much. They also had a really good light show to accompany the music.

All in all, it was a great night and the crowd as always was fantastic and fun to be a part of. Next up will be GWAR on the 24th. That will be...interesting.

Here are some pictures I took last night.

Epica!

Alestorm, aka: Christian Balestorm!