TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

Two Saturdays ago I saw Parkway Drive at the Fillmore in Silver Spring MD in support of their new "IRE" album with Miss May I, Thy Art Is Murder, and In Hearts Awake. Amazing show, non stop moshing and crowdsurfing! Parkway even said we were the rowdiest crowd out of all the shows they've playing on the tour so far so that great to hear. Australia got some great bands!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to so see Stevie Wonder's final concert for the "Songs In The Key Of Life Performance" Tour at Madison Square Garden last Tuesday. He performed that entire album plus a few of his other hits. I unfortunately had to leave early, but what I was able to see was amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trans Siberian Orchestra earlier this month. We had fairly close floor seats and the show was phenomenal, even though I'd already watched the TV movie for the story they're touring this year. The screens, lights and pyro were all amazing; I'm a huge fan of fireworks, but had never seen an "explosions and fire" band before, so this set the bar high. The performers slayed "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (or whatever their rendition of it is called) and they also played a tantalizing bluesy, Zeppelinesque original song which I'll need to look up. I will definitely be seeing them again.

I just saw them last night at the Q in Cleveland. Since that's two shows in three months, it will be a while before I can go again. And TSO always puts on quite a show. Saw them last year for The Christmas Attic too.

Umm...it was the B-52s on New Year's Eve, on some blocked-off street in downtown Houston. Now, I've seen some shows that People Who Are Not Me might deem inexplicable and/or embarrassing, but this easily takes the cake. The male singer sounded like, I don't know, the Wiggles, or a five-year-old trying to use a funny voice. The female singer could've fit into an angry punk band. There were maybe 5 very drunk people dancing, and everyone else was "dancing" just to keep warm. The show was followed, after a painfully awkward delay, by the most pathetic fireworks display ever; I should've taken it as a warning when the guy on TV earlier was boasting that they could also be set off indoors.

I will concede that the music was catchy and energetic, and I appreciated the rockabilly and surf influence on some songs. It was a free show, so probably didn't attract as high a proportion of "fans" as many typical concerts, and the TV station host was encouraging people to post comments on Twitter, instigating a barrage of hilariously sarcastic remarks. Also, apparently the TV news coverage was even more of a trainwreck than the actual event. As for said event, I thought it was fine; it seemed well-attended, but not overcrowded, and the atmosphere was laid-back. The crowd wasn't overly drunken, it was family-friendly without being overrun by children, and there were several activities included. Earlier, I sampled a jazz trio and a Broadway singalong inside a well-appointed theater, and an outdoor DJ dance party before the concert. Overall, I could've done way worse for NYE.

My last concert was all the way back in February 2015 xD

Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish. RBF is one of my favorite bands so I naturally loved them, but I never listened to Less Than Jake before then but they killed it! I now have a bunch of their songs on my phone

The next concert I plan to attend is Melt Banana, Napalm Death, and The Melvins when they come to The Orpheum in Tampa in April

^ Yeah, the B-52's aren't for everyone. I personally love them though.

The actual show was fun; I just got a little too into everyone else's snark. I then felt like I had to reevaluate my entire taste in live music since I already suspected I might be a little too easily impressed, but it's all good.

^ Yeah, the B-52's aren't for everyone. I personally love them though.

The actual show was fun; I just got a little too into everyone else's snark. I then felt like I had to reevaluate my entire taste in live music since I already suspected I might be a little too easily impressed, but it's all good.

they were incredible back in the late 70's thru the late 80's.

then got super commercial, split off to do their own stuff, and just never recorded anything as huge as their biggest albums (that have "Roam" "ChannelZ" and "Love Shack" on them.

I'd highly recommend the earlier, experimental albums that spawned "hits" in the clubs and among college students (such as "Rock Lobster", "Song for a Future Generation" and "Dance this Mess Around" -- songs I'm positive were in your show, since they always play them live).

[youtu_be]https://youtu.be/9fnXpuCJldI[/youtu_be]

Fred Schneider (the male lead) has always had that "talky" style, and it's really take it or leave it.. tho his solo "hit" "Monster" is still a fun song and is VERY indicative of early B52's sound

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

(oh, and Kate Pierson (the non-blonde female singer) has a fantastic voice, really, and has done songs (that were hits) with REM ("Shiney Happy People") and Iggy Pop ("Candy")

I love Kate's voice, but I'm really not a B-52's fan.

I really liked the stuff that she did with REM & might have to check out some of the other stuff that she did without the B-52's.

she just got married to her girlfriend, so there's that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually just broke my 2016 cherry seeing a local guy, Billy Hagen from Johnny Limbo & The Lugnuts. I even got to step up to the mic and sing the blues with him.

Now, some things...happened which don't in and of themselves have me running back for more, but at least I still seem to be welcome at the venue.

If you like stories, here's the wild, sordid history of Billy Hagen.

image1.thumb.JPG.50061200012933d03cddd8f44284691e.JPG

My favorite part was when he played slide with his drink glass (and later a salt shaker). This was just after the first time.

Machine head on the "An Evening With..." tour on the 12th. No support acts, just Machine Head playing for 2 and a half hours and it was absolutely amazing.

12744663_10156564662565531_5998525084185018723_n.jpg.2b70aade3ebff5bc4dc61e17f700aa5a.jpg

It was also the first time I'd paid for VIP tickets at a concert, so I got to meet the band and got a bit of stuff signed too which is a memory I'll never forget.

12728802_10156556332970531_3471875745815835999_n.thumb.jpg.a0461c84e7921c8836ff953a36603781.jpg

• 2 months later...