TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

The lead singer Jim James has a solo album due out the beginning of February, should be an interesting project. I think when Jesus sings he probably sounds a little like Jim James.

I'm curious about the solo album. I have two of Jim James' non-MMJ albums- Tribute To (6 George Harrison covers he recorded shortly after Harrison died) and Monsters of Folk (collaboration between him and a few other vocalists). I dig Tribute To, but haven't been able to get into Monsters of Folk despite making an effort to.

Purely speculating- I get the feeling it may go more along the lines of what Radiohead does, for example. Something that dabbles a bit in electronic stuff(samples/loops/drum machines). I know there is a track floating around out there, but I'm going to hold off until the full album is released. If it's as good as Eddie Vedder's solo stuff, which is excellent while (importantly) being different enough from his day job in Pearl Jam- that's the best case scenario.

Either way, that means that he's hitting the road again in the not too distant future. I'll be there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Weezer show last night - they played an hour or so of hits, then for the second act they played the entire Blue Album. First time in 15 years they've come to Australia so the crowd was awesome, nice warm summer's night to be at the music bowl (similar venue to Hollywood bowl). Anyway hope to see the boys make more regular trips down under in the future.

It might be a generational thing but there was no sea of iPhone screens recording every song like you see at most concerts these days. People were actually just enjoying the show rather than recording crappy bootlegs for youtube! A refreshing change.

Went to WinterJam yesterday. It was amazing.

Artists/Bands:

TobyMac: Pretty good. When he came out, there was a great vibe and awesome atmosphere there. He just lit up the stage.

Matthew West: He was pretty good as well. He told us an interesting story about how it is OK to pee your pants because he would.

Red: Best performance of the night. Incredibly loud, flames, and pyro. Red was amazing and I was glad to see them live. Absolutely phenomenal.

Sidewalk Prophets: These guys were pretty good. They had a nice sound and their lyrics were great.

Jamie Grace: She was probably my least favorite of the night. She is very talented and she can sing, it just was not my type.

Newsong: My #2 performance of the night. These guys were incredible.

Royal Tailor: Very good. A more pop-style sound to them, but they sounded really good.

Jason Castro: He was awesome as well. He had a light sound, but he did an amazing cover of Hallelujah.

OBB: This was another surprise for me. They had a great sound and I wish they got to play more.

Capital Kings: I believe these guys had dubstep in the background of their music, but they made it awesome by adding lyrics.

The event was great and Nick Hall (speaker) made a ton of great points and this event really compelled me to get closer in my religion. If WinterJam is ever coming near you, I recommend checking it out.

I absolutely can't wait for this Thursday. I'm seeing Gojira, a band that I've recently taken a great liking to, and The Devin Townsend Project, one of my all-time favorites, along with a group I've never heard of called The Atlas Moth.

So what I couldn't find any metal-head friends to go to the show with, I can still go to enjoy the awesome music. CAN'T WAIT!

^^

I'm actually seeing that exact same show in February. I'm looking forward to seeing how they were from you!

Also, I just bought tickets to Testament and Overkill because...well, why not? That makes three concerts coming up all within about a week of each other in February (Gojira/Devin Townsend, Turisas, this one). Hurrah hearing loss!

Got back from the Gojira/Devin Townsend Project/Atlas Moth show about two hours ago. Holy %&@$.

After an honestly disappointing opening act by Atlas Moth, who just weren't my type of metal at all, Devin freakin TORE IT UP. Most of the songs he played were from Epicloud ("Lucky Animals" was a lot more fun than I expected, "Grace", "More!", and my absolute favorite, "Kingdom"), but he threw some Deconstruction ("Planet of the Apes" in its entirety, "Juular") and Infinity ("Truth", "War") in there for good measure. He puts on an incredible show, with juvenile yet hilarious banter throughout, a great use of projection on a screen behind him... man, so good.

Then Gojira. I was nowhere near ready for how brutal they are live, in the best way possible. They somehow sounded exactly like, if not better than, they do on the albums, and the light show, song choices ("Heaviest Matter of the Universe", "Flying Whales", "The Art of Dying" had everyone going NUTS in the pit), and their huge, angry yet passionate energy made for an amazing experience.

Overall, best concert I've been to by far, beating out Cobra Skulls a couple years back. I'd definitely go again. And THANK GOD for those earplugs! As of right now, after being within 15 feet of the stage for 2/3 bands, I have minimal ear ringing, and can hear perfectly well. They're tough to get in your ears correctly, and they do muffle the sound a bit, but it's totally worth it to not have your ears blown apart within thirty minutes.

^ I'm now really looking forward to this show.

I also just bought tickets to Paganfest America IV. On the bill are Ensiferum, Tyr and Heidevolk. I've seen Ensiferum and Tyr before, both of which kicked ass. I only recently got into Heidevolk, so I'm quite excited to see them live for the first time.

This will also be my third Paganfest, having attended II (Eluveitie headlining) and III (Finntroll headlining). What can I say...I like my folk metal.

I went down to Toronto last night to see Turisas. Also appearing on the bill were Phantom, Stolen Babies and Firewind.

Phantom filled in the "random local act to start the show as people come in" role. They were extremely heavily influenced by Iron Maiden, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They were enjoyable, though slightly generic. Stolen Babies, though having a pretty amusing name wasn't all that good. They were what I would imagine a metal band put together by Tim Burton would look like. That said, accordions are metal as hell.

Firewind came out and put on a fantastic set. Hard, fast and powerful is how I like my metal to be.

Turisas played an amazing show, lasting for about an hour and 45 minutes. They sounded incredible, almost as good as they do on their albums. All of the major songs were touched on (e.g.,

, etc). They had two encores and closed the show with their awesome cover of Boney M's
. I also managed to catch a drumstick being thrown out in the crowd after the show!

The next concert I'll be at will be Gojira with Devin Townsend Project on Wednesday.

Here are some pictures!

Phantom!

Stolen Babies!

Firewind!

Turisas!

Do the Grammys count as a concert? I really only cared for the Black Keys and the closing performance, but it was cool to see Justin Timberlake and Jay Z and Elton John perform as well.

Also, can be please be done with Mumford and Sons already?

I enjoyed my long weekend by going to Toronto last night to see Testament. Originally, Overkill was supposed to be playing as well, but had to pull out due to one of the members having pneumonia. They had to cancel the rest of their tour, which is a huge shame as I was looking forward to seeing them. No matter, there were still three other bands to see!

First up was 4Arm, who were the biggest surprise of the night. Very fast, heavy and LOUD. Holy crap, were they loud. Like...Motorhead loud. I rather enjoyed them and will probably be picking up their newest album.

Next was Flotsam and Jetsam who put on a mild performance. They had moments of great energy, but would immediately kill it by going into a slower part of a song or playing a slow song. The set kind of petered out in the middle where a lot of people just stopped caring.

Finally, Testament took the stage. They played some great old school thrash metal which had the crowd boiling over. I somehow managed to ride the pit to the very front, where I hung on to the fence for the rest of the show. It was awesome to see one of the pioneers of thrash metal, a genre I've always liked. Also, I managed to catch two guitar picks during the set. Hurray!

Up next will be quite a departure from what I normally see, as I'll be going to the Indie Awards in March. Headlining the awards are Metric (which is the reason I'm going) and Matt Mays.

Here are some pictures!

4Arm!

Flotsam and Jetsam!

Testament!

Also, can be please be done with Mumford and Sons already?

I said the same thing just last week, I like them but I am kind of getting tired of them at this point.

I saw MUSE this past Saturday in Tampa and they put on an incredible show. Everything about it was fantastic, the stage set up and visuals were out of this world, great set lists with some old stuff and a few songs they don't normally play live (played New Born and United States of Eurasia for the first time this tour I think), and they sounded great. All in all an awesome show, can't wait to see them again.

Next up, Tenacious D in 2 week, I know they're kind of silly but I've always been a big fan so it should be a fun show.

I also saw Testament last week, but in Cincinnati, OH at Bogarts. I have been to 3 shows there....all three times has been to see Testament. lol As always, Testament put on a great show. Flotsam and Jetsam was good, as was 4Arm.

Since Cradle of Filth didn't make it to the US, not sure what my next show will be. Maybe Anthrax in April.

• 2 weeks later...