TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Grouplove at the Observatory in Orange County last Friday. Amazing show!! It was my third seeing them this year and it just gets better every time. They're a great live band lots of energy!! During their encore they came out and got the whole audience to be quiet and did a complete acoustic song without mics or anything very cool!

Asia (original Members)

short show, only ~13 songs, but understandable, since they were playing two shows in a very small theater.

most of them *looked* terrible, but dang if they didn't sound phenomenal!

I only recognized about 7 of the songs, but the new material really did sound like classic Asia from the 80's.. particularly this song:

and dang if Carl Palmer didn't blow me away (completely). Sitting front row, less than 20 feet from him was mesmerizing. . what a spectacular drummer

Most people in Toronto last night were either at Grey Cup parties or at Metric at the ACC. However, I decided that is lame. Instead, I ventured with a few hundred other hardy souls to see GWAR.

A GWAR show is one of those things that words cannot do justice. There are a lot of celebrities being killed in effigy and a lot of fake blood and other miscellaneous fluids being sprayed into the crowd. Seeing GWAR is always a fun, albeit messy and rowdy time.

Oh yeah. The openers were Cancer Bats and Devildriver. They put on a great show.

Next up is Eluveitie in December. This will be the sixth time I've seen them now.

GWAR!

^^ GWAR is one of those bands that aren't so great on Vinyl/CD, but are absolutely fantastic and not to be missed live.

I see them every time they come thru Town (and have for years), and ah. . . memories of when they played Dragon*con in Atlanta, and absolutely *destroyed* the just refurbished Hyatt Ballroom (even tho the Hyatt had covered the first 50 feet of floor/ceiling/walls with plastic).

here's a pic of Slymestra w/ Jerry (from the Misfits) from one year they played (2000, I think)

have you ever joined their fanclub? The t-shirt they give you is white, so you can wear it to the show and get it suitably stained

Saw Neil Young last Thursday night. Opening act was Patti Smith. Went mainly to see Patti Smith, who was great. Neil Young's performance was pretty mediocre. Both performers are even older than me, so I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of posters here are unfamiliar with both.

Rush in Columbus OH (Nationwide Arena) on September 20. I was very pleasantly surprised by their latest album, and it translated quite well in concert. Even more surprised by the 80s-heavy setlist, but what a way to mix things up! Quite a few underappreciated gems I'd never seen played before.

Streetlight Manifesto last week Tuesday at the House of Blues San Diego. Second time seeing them, got right up front, right in between Tomas and Mike. Had the time of my life. They killed it, seriously Streetlight is the best.

Edited by X2coasterfreak

It was another folk metal night for me last night. I ventured to possibly my favourite venue, The Opera House in Toronto to see Varg, Wintersun and one of my all time favourite bands, Eluveitie. This marks the 6th time I've seen Eluveitie now. I will never miss them when they come anywhere near me. I love that band so much.

The venue was packed and the crowd was red hot all night. Fantastic energy all night translated into one hell of a time. As always, Eluveitie brought the house down. They played their new album (well, from February, whatever) Helvetios in its entirety and then came out for a lengthy encore.

The next concert I'll be going to will be Goijira and Devin Townsend Project in February. So, my ears will get a bit of a break.

Here are some pictures from last night!

Varg!

Wintersun!

Eluveitie!

The Aquabats with Suburban Legends on Friday night! Was a VERY fun show even if it was overcrowded and I got heatstroke in the pit and pretty much collapsed... but besides that it was awesome, and I am probably making this sound way worse than it was.

Next up is Ska Luau 3 on December 30th, 2012 then the Toasters in January!

I saw Enter Shikari on December 11 at the Glasgow Barrowlands for their UK December tour. First time seeing them live and they lived up to their "let's go ape $hit on stage" performances.

Would have pictures for you but they're refusing to upload. They're too big apparently, the cheek!

• 3 weeks later...

Flew out to New York at the end of the year to catch My Morning Jacket play three shows at Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. My Morning Jacket does this cool thing called Spontaneous Curation, where they won't repeat songs during events like this, so no song was played twice over the course of the three shows- we were treated to roughly seventy songs over the course of these three nights.

12/27

Heartbreakin Man

X-Mas Curtain

Outta My System

Evelyn Is Not Real

Octoplasm

The Way That He Sings

Off The Record

Steam Engine

Sooner

Thank You Too!

You Wanna Freak Out

Nashville to Kentucky

Strangulation!

Smokin From Shootin

Tyrone (Erykah Badu cover)

It's About Twilight Now

Mahgeetah

Encore:

Butch Cassidy

Bermuda Highway

Welcome Home

The Day Is Coming

Cobra

Gideon

12/28

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

Golden

Tonite I Want To Celebrate With You

The Dark

It Beats For You

First Light

The Bear

Rocket Man (Elton John cover)

Lowdown

I'm Amazed

Old September Blues

Carried Away (Carl Broemel song)

It Makes No Difference (The Band cover)

Dondante

Librarian

I Think I'm Going to Hell

Phone Went West

Encore:

At Dawn

Highly Suspicious

Dancefloors

Holdin On To Black Metal

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2

12/29

Circuital

Evil Urges

Lay Low

Anytime

War Begun

I Will Sing You Songs

Honest Man

Aluminum Park

Slow Slow Tune

Where to Begin

I Will Be There When You Die

Master Plan

O Is the One That Is Real

What A Wonderful Man

Easy Morning

Run Thru

Movin Away

Encore:

I Will Be There When You Die

Victory Dance

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 1

Wordless Chorus

All Night Long (Lionel Richie cover)

One Big Holiday

Too many highlights to choose from- they're such a great band to see live. I think it might have been the 25 minute long version of Dodante during the second show if I had to choose. They have a knack for stretching songs out live- something I'm usually not a fan of- but it works nicely for them. Coming into 2012 I had no idea about this band. I had heard of them, but not their material. I went to go see them at Pritzker Pavilion back in August, so I made an attempt to familiarize myself with their material leading up to that show. I was surprised, because it was nothing like what I was expecting it to be. I would say they're among my favorites at this point. If you haven't given them a listen yet, I suggest The Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves as starting points. I don't think there is one filler song between those three albums.

Lowlight of the three nights was the Lionel Richie cover towards the end of night three- it's an f'ing terrible song and Lionel Richie is an awful human being. I left my seat to position myself closer to an exit for the finale as this was going on.

Lastly, Capitol Theatre was a really cool venue. Kindly, we were told that the barcodes on the ticket can be redeemed for soundboard recording of all three shows.

Lay Low -

War Begun/I Will Sing You Songs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6x0lWMsI9

^Yeah, MMJ is an amazing band live and absolutely one of my favorites. I've seen them twice but I'lll make an attempt to see them on every tour they do from now on. A 25 minute version of Dondante must have just been chilling, from what I understand that's a pretty emotional song for the band (especially Jim) and they don't play it live very often except for at special shows like this.

Also I love how they're not afraid to take on challenges like this as a band where they play three nights in a row and never repeat a song. They did a stand at a club in NYC a few years ago where they played like 4 nights in a row and each night played one of their albums in it's entirety start to finish. They've also been known to put on a few marathon sets at Bonnaroo and on New Years Eve. Ah, such an amazing band, kinda pisses me off a little when bands like Nickleback and Shinedown are commercially famous and these guys aren't. Nothing against those bands they're fine and have their audiences and all but half the band on the radio these days couldn't hold a candle to the Jacket live /end rant.

The lead singer Jim James has a solo album due out the beginning of February, should be an interesting project. I think when Jesus sings he probably sounds a little like Jim James.

Last one that I attended that actually happened was Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper last July. I ran into a string of bad luck and every concert I went to last summer had a horrible storm. First one was indoors, the Maiden concert was delayed over an hour, and the last one I attempted to go to was completed cancelled due to the weather. Next concert will be next month and I will be seeing Doro.