TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's EPIC Oktoberfest Trip Report!

robbalvey

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Oktoberfest experienced looked amazing, even though I imagine that the insane German flatrides would cause me to "enjoy" the same beer twice. For me, the highlights of these updates wre Olympia Looping, the bizarre walkthough attractions, and Piers's musings following the Alpine Slide.

Glad you guys had a blast in what has to be one of the most EPIC trip reports TPR has ever done. There was everything involved in this report including the freaking TPR mascot! Every trip report should have an @$$ in it somewhere. Glad to hear Kristen had a blast at some of the more ghetto parks. Usually more of the ghetto parks have more kid friendly rides. Hope the flight back is safe!

Jimmy "Kristen has more country credits than any other kid her age" Bo

Just a couple of things now that I am back (typing this from my room in the detox centre).

Robb, your POV of you on Hollenblitz is for me, the best ever, fun POV you have done, it made me laugh so much, just reliving it all and you captured the experience perfectly.

To TPR generally, the awesomeness of 'Sweet Caroline' was indeed the best 'Sweet Caroline' moment ever, as I did state, though my rendition of it in the cold light of the ward I am in, is rather cringe making, but hey, this happens!!! I apologise, but wait, when I'm back in the zone, I'm doing it all again

R&E scored full marks again by getting us the tent experience on the 2nd day of opening. Pretty much everyone (all 200,000 of them give or take another 500,000 or so) were happy drunks. One week later, when I met up with other friends for a tent experience, the alcohol was taking its toll, and it was by no means the great experience I had first time round. (fighting, blood, trauma, not cool stuff).

I really really really recommend the Oktoberfest experience to EVERYONE....(you certainly don't have to be drunk, be a drunk, need to get drunk....to get with it, and there were a sufficient number of non drinkers on our tour that I am sure will testify to that), but I would also caveat that by saying do it the way TPR did it, and go the first weekend of opening, because it gets messy one week in. (hell that place has another week to go, scary)

Oh and one final thing, which may seem rude and I really don't mean offense to an entire nation, but hey Italian people. What is your problem???? Every nation in the world is represented massively at Oktoberfest and we all mix it up, and had great fun but, even our perfect TPR night was nearly about to get a little messy with the table of Italian's next to us (all good in the end I hasten to add) but come Friday night, I and my none coaster friends ended up in a brawl situation, with a table of Italian's. I LOVE Italy, I LOVE their food, I learned to ski there, I love lots about Italy, but I sure as heck do not love there inability to drink copious amounts of beer and then lose the plot. Okay, lights out time and cheers again R&E- one of the BEST EVER trips for sure.

Steve - feeling a tad jaded- C

^^ I heard it was good, but most of us didn't get to ride it due to its weird operating schedule. It only ran about once every hour, and then its last show wasn't long after we arrived and still a couple hours before closing, at which point most of us were at the inflatable rapid-flume ride. Also, because you had to pay for the park map and because the signage for it was so terrible, I only knew it even existed through word-of-mouth.

I felt about the same regarding the park. It really felt like a theme park on a budget, with a very bare-bones theming and rides package. Belantis reminded me somewhat of what I've seen with Hard Rock Park, but worse in all respects. Both seemed to lack the attractions and depth that make a theme park really immersive, but unlike HRP, Belantis seemed totally uninspired and only there to make a quick buck.

On a more positive note, I really enjoyed Plohn. El Toro probably stands as my number two GCI behind Thunderhead (I haven't ridden almighty Prowler though). Even with its small size it was wonderful and very reridable. I don't think it had a single dull spot.

Thank you for the Trip Report, it was so much fun, to follow you. Hope you had a good flight home. Sad that I can´t meet you at Octoberfest, but my only possible time was on saturday and because I had a long drive from my hometown, I make a break on the half of the track to get some rides on Expedition Geforce so I reached Munich later than planed in the evening.

As a firsttimer on Oktoberfest, I really enjoyed it, but the attraction region was smaller than expected. The difference to our largest funfairs in my region is only a second large coaster (Olympia Looping - a good reason to have plenty of rides ), some more flat attractions, instead of one or two same type of attractions and the main reason which is really different, the huge and many beer tents! We have a few and maybe one "large" beer tent- which in comparison means it would be a small one at Oktoberfest - strayed on the complete funfair / not packed in one place. But therefore the tradition in our region is to go more in the oldtown of the city and have a huge party overthere. Both funfairs here, especially the "Rheinkirmes" is visited by international guest too, but it´s not that extreme like I recognized yesterday at Oktoberfest - like you mentioned the most language I heard wasn´t german They seemed more to prefer the beer tents, I guess But another reason could be the Oktoberfest is two weeks long and yesterday was a really rainy day

Plohn seems great to me and I´m looking forward to visit this park in the next years, or on a TPR Trip. I expected your opinion of Belantis, but was really taken aback of "Huracan". Thought it´s great and worth a visit at Belantis, but now I won´t do that, after I have a good chance to put this park in a trip with other parks in this region.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say that after this year, having now done two German fairs it is something we would try to incorporate into future Europe trips.

My only complaint about Oktoberfest is that it's very commercial and touristy. I heard more English and American bring spoken than I did German. Whereas at the Wurzburg fair and beer tent earlier this year, it was clear we were the only people there NOT from the local area. I think that fair actually felt more like the "real deal" in many was than Oktoberfest did...

I like this idea. You´ll have a big possibility to do that on your Europe Trips in the NRW region; for example while you visit Phantasialand, Toverland, Moviepark Germany and smaller Parks like Panorama Park and Fort Fun when you normally on the Trips in Jun.-Jul..

For example the Rheinkirmes in Düsseldorf (a 45 hour drive from Phantasialand) will be in the Jul. in the next years:

2011 - 16. Juli - 24. Juli,

Superfeuerwerk: 22.07.2011

2012 - 14. Juli - 22. Juli,

Superfeuerwerk: 20.07.2012

2013 - 20. Juli - 28. Juli

Superfeuerwerk: 26.07.2013

2014 - 19. Juli - 27. Juli

Superfeuerwerk: 25.07.2014

2015 - 18. Juli - 26. Juli

Superfeuerwerk: 24.07.2015

official page

Cranger Kirmes will be from Aug. 05th. - Aug. 14th and similar in the following years (official page)

Those 2 funfairs will have the most attractions of the Octoberfest with the exception of Olympia Looping. Both funfairs have normaly the same attractions, so you only have to do one of them. As a standard, there were the Alpina Bahn (after Eurostar was selled, since a few years), Spinning Coaster, Höllenblitz, the great water ride and the wild mouse as top attractions.

Betweeen those two largest funfairs in the North-Rhine Westphalia region is mostly the "Annakirmes" in Düren:

30.07. - 07.08.2011

28.07. - 05.08.2012

27.07. - 04.08.2013

26.07. - 03.08.2014

25.07. - 02.08.2015

Scharzkopf Coaster "Teststrecke" is located on this funfair.

(All of them can be found as Photo TRs in the forum)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robb and Elissa, I want to take this chance to call your attention to a small Kiddie Park called "Ketteler Hof" - it is worth a visit especially for KidTums and all who likes the great playgrounds and slides in german Parks. They have an alpine slide, many monkey bars, slides, a waterplayground and some do it yourself attractions. It´s concept is more for Kids in KidTums age and up to 16 years - I would say. There are also many picnic areas. BUT THERE IS NO COASTER, ok a small steeplechase like in "Freizeitpark Märchenwald" If KidTums like this german playgrounds, you have to visit this park sometime with her

Edited by Ledgy

Shame you had such a crappy time at Belantis. I loved it when I went there last year. I had no issues at all with taking photos and video around the park. Strange that you had issues, they must have new stupid policies.

In case you weren't aware the park is suppose to be shaped like the map of the world when viewed from above. A really cool touch I feel and creates a nice feature of the park. Being a relatively new park they've yet to complete it, but within a few years they should have, with the South America section reaching back to the entrance and thus completing a loop of the park. After that they'll work on an Asia area.

The parks mascot is a mole. The area use to be used for coal mining and has been turned into a leisure area with jogging/cycling trails and of course Belantis so they felt a mole would be appropriate.

I personally enjoyed Gotterflug and found it easy to operate. On my first attempt I managed over 20 flips, but wanted to beat the record so went on for a 2nd go and got something like 55.

Completely agree the tow rope boat ride was dull, but not as bad as the one at Walygator Parc. Belantis is a bit short on major rides. Maybe in another 5 years it'll be worth another visit. Hope more parks build a rapid log flume boat ride thingy like their Pyramid one, it was great in a weird way.

When you were at Plohn did you have the ride manager encouraging you to poke your camera up through the track to get a good shot of the train coming over the top. I declined despite his insistence that it would be safe as long as i didn't put my hand up too far. I was also wary when he had me standing on the hand rails by the bunny hills, I had my mate hanging onto my legs for dear life to stop me falling as the train shock the track as it flew by. As you say, if only parks in the US were this relaxed.

Here are the photos from my trip to both parks last year

Belantis Photos

Plohn Photos

Belantis Video

Gotterflug Video

Plohn Video

Sorry for the external links, hope they're OK.

Is that seriously a pedal powered Ferris Wheel? Wow! Never in America, or Canada.

Yes, and you seriously can leave people up there! I need better friends!!

Its great to relive some of these memories for the first time -- for some unknown reason, I had a bit of amnesia on certain days. Oh, and the Piers bus ride video was amazing.

<< Already committed for the next Oktoberfest trip!!

I guess and obvious explanation for the crappiness of Huracan would be the newer trains, but doesn't Anubis use the same trains? I've never heard a bad word about Anubis. I guess Huracan may be just a lemon, or you guys must have caught it on a bad day. It's just kind of a bummer, because layout and stats wise it sure seems to look like one of the better Eurofighters.

Was the Mad House at Belantis well themed?

We never rode it because it only went at like 1pm and 5pm or something weird like that.

In case you weren't aware the park is suppose to be shaped like the map of the world when viewed from above. A really cool touch I feel and creates a nice feature of the park. Being a relatively new park they've yet to complete it, but within a few years they should have, with the South America section reaching back to the entrance and thus completing a loop of the park. After that they'll work on an Asia area.

Well, none of us would have found out because they were charging for a park map, and there wasn't a single park map posted inside the park, nor was there much signage (if any) for how to get around the place.

While I can understand the park not having complete sections, it really did not seem that far from where the loop ended to where it started up again. And it was a LONG, read VERY LONG walk to go from the Frisbee ALL THE WAY BACK AROUND to Huracan. Actually, I just found a map of the park:

First off all, I can tell you that the park doesn't look ANYTHING like this when you're actually at the park. If they're trying to make the park look like "the world", they have failed miserbely. You would never, EVER think this was what they were trying to do while visiting the park.

If you look to the left of the map, just below the indian section, that's where the Frisbee is. This map is clearly not to scale at all because we were even close to Huracan than the map makes it out, and you can see how much of an annoying walk that was to get to a ride that is like RIGHT OVER THERE!!!

The park was just terrible. Words cannot describe how frustrating it was visiting this park. Very, very few redeeming qualities. I could not recommend anyone visiting this place.

--Robb

Too bad to hear about Belantis. It's so hard to imagine a park with 2 Gerstlauers as being so crappy...

I love seeing all those pics of Kidtums, and how she's growing, hair and all. She reminds me so much of my sister when she was that age...my little sister, who is now 18 all of a sudden, has wowed people with her acting and artistic skills, and is now starting her first year at NYU, complete with classes at Tisch.

Sorry to ramble, I just miss her a whole lot now that she's away. But, I know she'll be home for the holidays soon enough. That's one advantage of when you reach my age, and time starts to move a little quicker for you.

Anywho, glad to see you enjoyed Oktoberfest so much, in spite of its touristy aspects. I'd like to get over there one of these days, being part German myself.

Too bad to hear about Belantis. It's so hard to imagine a park with 2 Gerstlauers as being so crappy...

Yeah, we were kind of surprised too. As far as the coasters go, like I said one of them was GREAT, but the Euro Fighter just seemed like something was "wrong" with it. Not sure what could have happened. And the flat ride was certainly "ok", if not slightly better than just "ok", but I wasn't totally blown away by it.

--Robb

Loved every minute of this report, was sorely tempted to jump in the car and head down to Munich this weekend before remembering two things, there are a million people already there and Oktoberfest goes off the tracks quickly the longer it runs.

Ah well, we had our own Heidelberg Herbst festival this weekend, which while lacking in rides did offer copious amounts of food and beer so all was not lost.

^ I liked Knott's better, honestly. My first thought for parks in the US to compare it to was Visionland, since there was little shade, wide open spaces, few rides, and (admittedly better-than-Visionland) attempts at theming. I never went, so I can't say for sure, but Hard Rock Park may have been similar. Elissa kept comparing it to some crappy China park I've never even heard of

^Your description of Visionland is pretty much how lots of the smaller Chinese parks were. They had some nice sections/rides, mixed in with lots of "WTF?" stuff like no shade, bad themeing, bad layouts, and so on...

I'm not sure I'd compare it to Visionland since that park never was trying to be a "themed" park, but it certainly reminded me of the lesser "themed" parks in China where they had spent a minimal amount of money on theming, and would seem even less on the rides.

From a distance the park looked great, but up close you were all "Oh, wow...I slept with her? Sheesh!"