TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR: Kings Island Pride Night (9/10/10)

Let me begin by stating this is my first ever photo trip report, and I honestly didn't take very many pictures. Unfortunately, some didn't turn out as well as I had hoped since it was so dark as the event wore on... please be gentle!

I first learned of this event over at KICentral, basically, it's Kings Island's version of a 'gay day' but instead is held at night from 6PM-Midnight, it is held every year with proceeds benefiting the Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Greater Cincinnati . This is a private event, so everyone has to buy tickets to get in... pricing this year was $40 online in advance or $45 at the gate with free parking.

I began planning to go with a good friend of mine and we left Knoxville on Friday just before noon.

We arrived a few minutes late, thanks to Cincinnati rush hour which pushed us almost an hour behind- made a beeline through the entrance and onto International Street. The first thing I noticed was they were piping in modern and techno music through the park's sound system- this made for a very fun atmosphere throughout the park! This was my first visit to Kings Island and I honestly had absolutely no trouble navigating the park, it is pretty well laid out, even in the dark!

We were able to hit all the major coasters save for Beast and Firehawk... I was really bummed about the Beast- it went down three different times during the evening before they threw in the towel on it. As for Firehawk, I wasn't waiting 90 minutes to ride it with one train operation. Bear in mind, this was the ONLY coaster running just one train in the park that night, what gives? Overall, there was only about 4000 people in the park which meant very short ride lines for the most part!

In conclusion, it was a fantastic night and I got to experience a new park! We both absolutely loved Diamondback and Flight Deck was a pleasant surprise as well. It was a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere and the park employees seemed to be having a blast as well. On that point, this was my first visit to a Cedar Fair park and may I say I was quite impressed... the landscaping was nice, operations were fast and amazing and I guess I was kinda surprised at the overall quality of Kings Island as a whole. This is coming from a former Dollywood host, so this is a real compliment!

Onto the pictures, once again, didn't take very many and a couple of the night shots left something to be desired, but overall I thought the point-and-shoot did a nice job.

Invertigo from the parking lot.

Just inside the main entrance.

A band was playing... quite classy!

NO DIAMONDBACK! This is Eiffel Tower's picture! YOU WAIT YOUR TURN...

What's a trip report to a CF park without a trash can shot? I think it's a law. -Dick Kinzel nods in agreement-

Once more, I thought the landscaping was quite nice.

Italian J... I mean Backlot Stunt Coaster!

I see you Diamondback! (Such a show-off)

Drop Tower at dusk.

Invertigo at night.

Unfortunately, this was as close as I got to Beast all night.

Diamondback and Rivertown from atop the Eiffel Tower.

See! We are happy! Promise! (This is the picture that turned out so badly, it had to be the one I liked most, didn't it?)

Goodbye Kings Island! I will return for my ride on the Beast in the future!

P.S. we stayed at the Hyatt Place Deerfield-Mason (aka Cincinnati Northeast) and I must say, this is hands-down the best mid-scale hotel brand I have ever stayed at! The rooms are huge, sport a new hotel room layout and each room features a 40" flat screen television along with the Hyatt Grand Bed. For the same price as the Holiday Inn Express next door, this was a no-brainer! Check them out!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Firehawk, I wasn't waiting 90 minutes to ride it with one train operation. Bear in mind, this was the ONLY coaster running just one train in the park that night, what gives?

What about Invertigo?

And Adventure Express was also one train too, although that's acceptable- Express still has great solo train operation, while Firehawk is already pathetic enough with two.

Sounds like a fun time, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Hmmm...I guess I need to do more research as it seems a couple of CF parks are doing special gay days right around my b-day.

I was also going to question (like tanthonyam) why no Snoopy & Woodstock flying the rainbow flag? Maybe they are reserving that for the future when Peppermint Patty and Marcy get married one day in Ohio?

Hmmm...I guess I need to do more research as it seems a couple of CF parks are doing special gay days right around my b-day.

I was also going to question (like tanthonyam) why no Snoopy & Woodstock flying the rainbow flag? Maybe they are reserving that for the future when Peppermint Patty and Marcy get married one day in Ohio?

They might want to do that here in Canada, and have the party at KI.

This is a great event, it was our fifth year of going. We left Knoxville at 11:30a and due to traffic and thunderstorms we still struggled to make it to our hotel with enough time to settle in, walk the dog, eat and head out the door to get there by 6pm. In all five years of going there has always been bad traffic on the Friday going up, so next time you may want to consider leaving Knoxville earlier

Sounds like your experience was about like ours. We were at the loading gate of Firehawk (they were running both trains on one side of the station - UGH!!! at this point) when the next train came in and there was a malfunction with the cars not moving into their upright position. Maintenance showed up right away, but we decided to leave the gate area, having already waited for 45 minutes at that point. I'm not a fan of Firehawk anyway, mostly b/c of the super-super slow load process, so i can't say i really missed this one, in fact i hate it so much i'm GLAD i didn't ride it!

Friends of ours were evacuated off the Beast. One train was stuck on the 2nd lift and more friends were on a train on the 1st lift. That was late, like around 11 or so...I don't think the Beast opened back up after that point.

Adventure Express and Flight Deck both had one train ops, but I didn't see a need for a 2nd train on either of those. Though Diamondback could certainly have used its third train, especially with the Beast down...Diamondback's lines could have been shorter. Last year they did run three trains on it, so that was a great experience.

Anyway, great pics and nice TR!

This is a great event, it was our fifth year of going. We left Knoxville at 11:30a and due to traffic and thunderstorms we still struggled to make it to our hotel with enough time to settle in, walk the dog, eat and head out the door to get there by 6pm. In all five years of going there has always been bad traffic on the Friday going up, so next time you may want to consider leaving Knoxville earlier

Sounds like your experience was about like ours. We were at the loading gate of Firehawk (they were running both trains on one side of the station - UGH!!! at this point) when the next train came in and there was a malfunction with the cars not moving into their upright position. Maintenance showed up right away, but we decided to leave the gate area, having already waited for 45 minutes at that point. I'm not a fan of Firehawk anyway, mostly b/c of the super-super slow load process, so i can't say i really missed this one, in fact i hate it so much i'm GLAD i didn't ride it!

Friends of ours were evacuated off the Beast. One train was stuck on the 2nd lift and more friends were on a train on the 1st lift. That was late, like around 11 or so...I don't think the Beast opened back up after that point.

Adventure Express and Flight Deck both had one train ops, but I didn't see a need for a 2nd train on either of those. Though Diamondback could certainly have used its third train, especially with the Beast down...Diamondback's lines could have been shorter. Last year they did run three trains on it, so that was a great experience.

Anyway, great pics and nice TR!

Yeah! The three hours of thunderstorms on the way up there didn't help the drive either!

We were standing at the gate for the Beast for the next train when it went down the first time, near 7PM. We left, it apparently reopened then closed again and must have reopened and closed again later!

We never waited more than one train for Diamondback and Flight Deck was a walk on... all I could think was... poor SoB. But we had a terrific time and hope to return next year!