TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you have an iPad?

Do you own an iPad?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an iPad?

• Yes I do!
    • No, but I do plan on getting one!
    • No, and because I am lame I have no plans to get one!

I don't own an ipad, but my father does. He has been very impressed, and has been hinting they Santa may leave one in my stocking this Christmas.

As always the Alveys are always up to date with the latest technology. So I'm not surprised that this development has occurred. I currently own an itouch and have been very happy with that. So maybe at the end of December I'll be reading my latest Club TPR newsletter on an ipad.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "No, and because I am lame I have no plans to get one!" I'm not really sure if I want one. I already have an iTouch and a laptop. I'm just wondering if I reallly *need* one.

I haven't tried to download any videos to my iTouch, so maybe that's something I need to do first. Once I learn how to do simple things like that I might be interested in investing my money towards an iPad.

Just because I own 3000 ipads doesn't make this post bias at all. /disclaimer

If you are reading this post then you must have some affinity to technology (tpr is a website!). Before you pass judgement on the iPad or any tablet pc (running android/os2 warp/dos 4.0/ or even pancake mix) I recommend you try it first. Trust me, the sum is greater than it parts when it comes to tablets.

Chris " posted from my litebright" Connolly.

Damn I sound nerdy,

I have no plans to get an iPad, but it's not because I'm an Apple-hater. It just seems like an intermediate step that, as a minimalist, I don't need. Why would I want to carry something around that's almost as useful as my iPhone but nearly as big as my laptop? For my lifestyle, it just doesn't make sense.

/Tricky to hold onto, as well.

I have no plans to get an iPad, but it's not because I'm an Apple-hater. It just seems like an intermediate step that, as a minimalist, I don't need. Why would I want to carry something around that's almost as useful as my iPhone but nearly as big as my laptop? For my lifestyle, it just doesn't make sense.

This is actually my exact reason for not having one. BUT...having said that, I have a feeling that the 2nd or 3rd generation will honestly speak to me more clearly than the current version.

For example, if I had the ability to plug a USB external hard drive and a memory card reader into the iPad, I would have gotten one instead of the netbook I have now for transferring photos during TPR trips. I'm going to put money on the fact that tablets will replace netbooks in just a few short years.

When I watch what the iPad can do now, I realize it's only a couple of years off from being something that everyone will eventually have.

--Robb "And happy that Club TPR has been there from the start!" Alvey

This is actually my exact reason for not having one. BUT...having said that, I have a feeling that the 2nd or 3rd generation will honestly speak to me more clearly than the current version.

For example, if I had the ability to plug a USB external hard drive and a memory card reader into the iPad, I would have gotten one instead of the netbook I have now for transferring photos during TPR trips. I'm going to put money on the fact that tablets will replace netbooks in just a few short years.

When I watch what the iPad can do now, I realize it's only a couple of years off from being something that everyone will eventually have.

--Robb "And happy that Club TPR has been there from the start!" Alvey

This is why I currently don't own an Ipad...it's also the reason I'm not getting into 3-D television right now as well. The technology is still a little too young.

One thing I've learned in my love of gadgets is that you always want to wait until the second or third generation. It's a good rule of thumb for pretty much any gadget.

The Ipad looks really cool, yeah, but as it is now, it looks too much like a larger version of my Ipod touch.

^Is that such a bad thing, though? The extra screen real estate makes it a lot better to use than the Touch, which my wife owns, and the iPhone, which I used to own. There will be a better one coming, but that's technology. My only real beef is the lack of Flash, which keeps some sites from working. I know Jobs hates Flash, but Flash isn't dead quite yet.

Robb - have you seen the camera connection kit that Apple sells for the iPad? It allows you to use USB or a memory card to load photos onto the iPad. It's $30.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Also, have you thought about streaming videos via HTML5 vs Flash on the website? A HUGE amount of sites now stream HTML5 content for iPad/iPhone users. You're obviously pretty tech savy, so you probably have looked into this, but Apple has setup some links talking about more it:

http://www.apple.com/html5/

And also:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

Certain websites like ESPN and CNN that use HTML5 have beautiful video that plays right in their webpages.

Robb - have you seen the camera connection kit that Apple sells for the iPad? It allows you to use USB or a memory card to load photos onto the iPad. It's $30.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

I know about this, but this isn't the need that I have. When we are on TPR trips I collect everyone's memory cards and plug them into my netbook via one USB port and copy them to an external hard drive to another USB port.

I collect about 250 gigs worth of photos per trip.

To my knowledge the iPad would not allow me to do this...yet.

Also, have you thought about streaming videos via HTML5 vs Flash on the website? A HUGE amount of sites now stream HTML5 content for iPad/iPhone users. You're obviously pretty tech savy, so you probably have looked into this, but Apple has setup some links talking about more it:

http://www.apple.com/html5/

There is no support for this on TPR right now. I would have to pay someone to develop this to work with TPR, CoasterTube or the phpbb3 based forums. It would probably cost me no less than about $2,000 and time that I unfortunately do not have right now to project manage it....in due time though, I'm sure!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

The software that is the backbone of this forum is one of only two viable choices for forum software. They are constantly adding new features and capability because of the market competition. I suspect that will HTML 5 will be an option with in 12-24 months based on some things I read on another forum. The same goes with flowplayer.

@ SixFlagsEnthuseast- Watch the difference in voting next year if this poll is held again. This is presumptuous, but I'm sure the majority that voted no haven't even used an Ipad or Tablet.

Chris "FTC Disclosure: I was not furnished with any apple stock for posting this, but should have been" Connolly