TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Grand Grove Thrill Resort [RCT2]

UPDATE:

10/31/10

To give this a more realistic feel, I will update this first post with a few lists that show how much research I'm putting into this...

GRAND GROVE THRILL RESORT: Distance from major cities/attractions

Myrtle Beach, SC: A 1 hour 36 minute drive to GGTR. (75 miles)

Charleston, SC: A 1 hour 39 minute drive to GGTR. (73 miles)

Charlotte, NC: 3 hours 4 minute drive to GGTR. (173 miles)

Richmond, VA; 5 hours 36 minute drive to GGTR. (348 miles)

--------------------------------------

Hello, all. I've been sick for the past couple of days. Nothing serious, but I did get a lot of researching done in my time of ill; researching a little park that was once known as "Grand Grove".

In the early 70s, a family wanted to open a theme park for locals and tourists to visit while in Kingstree, South Carolina. It had a few flats, but nothing was there to attract tourists specifically to the park. The family contacted Arrow Dynamics to make a plan; something that would attract thousands more each year.

And thus, "Red Rover" was born, one of the first few Arrow multi-loopers (built only a year after Corkscrew at Cedar Point). It flipped you upside down three thrilling times. After opening day, business was going great. But throughout the 80s, more and more coasters around the globe started to pop up with more and more inversions. Without the money to make any large investments, the family's once-thriving theme park was buried away in the record books. Attendance dropped every year, and the future looked bland for Grand Grove. The park went out of business in 1983 and the family looked for a company to potentially buy the burden from them. However, no buyers were found by 1986, and the park started giving up hope....

SCR82.BMP

Some pictures I found around the internet.

SCR91.BMP

It was a nice little park.

SCR89.BMP

"Red Rover". The path next to it is for maintenance.

SCR92.BMP

You can see the entrance to the park's only coaster, next to a food court.

SCR85.BMP

Edited by braztaz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's very nice. Definietely an improvement. The buildings are little blocky though. Layer it with details. Little stick out windows, balconies, stairs whatever to give it more shape. And the texture is repeating over and over again. Try a brick texture or a wooden texture. It's not perfect but it's a step in the right direction

^Will do! Thanks guys.

---

By 1983 the park had closed it's gates. It failed to find a seller throughout the 80s, so the future looked bleak for "Grand Grove". Various clubs were created, like the Grand Grove Restoration Club, but all failed. But in August 1989....the unthinkable happened. A local business man named Samuel P. Landston emerged with a plan to restore the park and make it a major tourist destination. Many called him crazy, that he was wasting his money... but he didn't give up. For the remainder of 1989 and all of 1990, he worked day and night to give the citizens of Kingstree, South Carolina what they wanted; which was their Grove back. He restored buildings, remodeled...you name it, even adding the tallest structure at the park yet.

The now named "Kingstree's Grand Grove" open it's gates again in April 1991. New along with it was the "Wicked Woodlands", a wooden roller coaster which climbed up 90ft and had you plunge down 82ft... a ride for thrillseekers everywhere.

SCR95.BMP

SCR98.BMP

Two trains in one shot!

SCR97.BMP

The park also expanded north.

SCR99.BMP

Red Rover got new supports.

SCR100.BMP

It's a relief that the reopening was a success. Now hopefully, it would entertain guests for years and years.

You have a great story going on with this one, also really like the look of the wooden coaster, but I think the six seater trains would be a better fit to the time and type of coaster it looks like it's trying to be with the unbanked turns and such.

Everything looks good and fits together nicely.

Thanks, glad you guys like the new coaster.

---

1992 Season

Kingstree's Grand Grove seemed to be lacking some charm, some more unique features to bring new guests in....and so, the tallest wooden roller coaster ever (at 245ft) opened!

Nah, I'm messing. KGG got no new roller coasters this year (I mean they just got one last year!) But still, Sam P. Lanston worked, yet again, day and night to prepare his favorite attraction for the park so far...animal exhibits! Red Rover's midway was extended so KGG could add the new family-friendly attraction (along with a brand new log flume). Unfortunately, it wasn't completed when the park opened in April 1992, but they received the animals they requested and added their finishing touches by Mid-June, and it opened on the first day in July, the park's peak attendance month!

It's not a whole zoo, but Sam P. Lanston doesn't have all the money in the world, you know. And just maybe he's saving up for some future attractions.

SCR104.BMP

Midway.

SCR105.BMP

"Forest Flume"

SCR106.BMP

The animal exhibits.

SCR107.BMP

The eyes tend to focus on the path more then the buildings because of the contrast. Even Tarmac would look nice there.

I adore that log flume.

The "zoo" I just don't understand. Is it supposse to be like a show, or is that a veiwing platform?

Agian, you're improving on your building work yet agian. Hope to see a new coaster soon.

Better?

SCR109.BMP

And for the animal exhibits. The park would place certain animals in the four cages. Guests would just look down on them, take pictures, etc, and occasionally trainres would go in and put on a show (thus the small stadium you see in the third screencap). They could sit there or just stand by the railing.

I think your park would look better with the quarter tile flowers instead of the full tile. You will be able to get a bigger variety of colors in a small area. Also, try making your animal exhibits look more realistic. Right now, they just look ike giant sandboxes, in my opinion. Look at some pictures of real exhibits, and see what you can come up with. Ignore this if those exhibits are extremely unfinished.

I think your park would look better with the quarter tile flowers instead of the full tile. You will be able to get a bigger variety of colors in a small area. Also, try making your animal exhibits look more realistic. Right now, they just look ike giant sandboxes, in my opinion. Look at some pictures of real exhibits, and see what you can come up with. Ignore this if those exhibits are extremely unfinished.

It's a work in progress.

I won't be able to work on it this weekend, so expect an update for the next season sometime next week!

Any guesses on what the new attraction may be?

That was the "NEW" ride for 1993. I spent all that money on a season pass last fall and this is what I get a stupid swinging ship. I am never coming back to this park again!

But really, your buildings while still lacking a bit are much better than before. Glad to see your improving. You are really starting to get some great angles on them, now if we can talk you into getting away from full size blocks...

How are the guest moving around the park, any problems yet? Remember, hidden tunnels are a guests best friend.

Grand Grove has announced it's two-year plan for expansion! During the 1994 season they worked out a couple problems already existing in the park, so no new expansions. But don't pout! The 1995 season brought many shocks, screams, and surprises with Grand Grove's most expensive investment yet.... "Nightlight"

SCR114.BMP

Nightlight climbs you up 95ft and reaches speeds of up to 53mph as you get flipped upside down twice- and did we mention that you're standing up the whole time?

SCR115.BMP

This addition shows the park isn't afraid to take a little risk- the outcome of "Red Rover" encourages them to add rides that many have never seen before. (Red Rover was one of the first roller coasters with three inversions)

Located in the back of the park, you'd be crazy to not include this ride in your Grand Grove daily plans. High speed twists and turns amaze you as you maneuver through the forests of South Carolina. You'll be begging for more...

New for the 1995 season, "Nightlight": The B&M Standup.

Opinions welcome.