TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Golden Ticket Awards

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The ballots are evenly distributed to four quadrants of the US, plus international ballots.

Just because the winners are commonly in the midwest doesn't mean the voters are.

Oh, and 20% of the top 50 woodies are outside the US. I seriously doubt that 20% of the world's woodies are outside the US, so it seems that the votes are skewed away from the US in that category.

^ The ballots are evenly distributed to four quadrants of the US, plus international ballots.

Just because the winners are commonly in the midwest doesn't mean the voters are.

Oh, and 20% of the top 50 woodies are outside the US. I seriously doubt that 20% of the world's woodies are outside the US, so it seems that the votes are skewed away from the US in that category.

I think what Larry is saying that if you look at the top 20 woodies in the Golden Tickets versus another poll like Mitch Hawker's the results are very different. I see why both polls are important, and they are done for different audiences. But I wouldn't over look the fact that the results are very different, and I know a lot of people who submit ballots equally for both.

--Robb

I hadn't seen the Top 50 list yet, that does seem a little high as Mitch pools has only 15 woodies in their Top 50.

My bad, I phrased my stance incorrectly. The voting options are skewed to US based attractions, at least 80% of the voting options were in the US, sure you can write-ins candidates, but a write-in is unlikely to ever win. So even with international ballots those internationals are not concentrated in any one area where a consensus of the international voters can get behind their home coaster.

Edited by larrygator

I hadn't seen the Top 50 list yet, that does seem a little high as Mitch pools has only 15 woodies in their Top 50.

My bad, I phrased my stance incorrectly. The voting options are skewed to US based attractions, at least 80% of the voting options were in the US, sure you can write-ins candidates, but a write-in is unlikely to ever win. So even with international ballots those internationals are not concentrated in any one area where a consensus of the international voters can get behind their home coaster.

Since there's already a huge slant towards the US I wonder if they should just make the results "Best in the US". Rides like the Intamin Mega-Lites, Blue Fire and iSpeed didn't even crack the top 50 (which I know some folks on here would take to task).

Man I need to get some sleep, I can't distinguish between the number 20 and 20%. So Mitch's Poll actually shows 30% of the Top 50 coasters are outside of the US and according to Golden Tickets it is only 20%. 30% seems like a more accurate number to me.

Golden Tickets shows only one International Woodie in the Top 20. Enough said.

Really, does it even matter? Clearly the parks who won the awards were worthy of it in some people's eyes. And I really think that Amusement Today's readers probably aren't quite as internationally traveled as many people who go on TPR trips. Let's face it, we do about 60% of our trips overseas. I don't think that 100% of our readers vote in Amusement Today's poll. Maybe if they did, things would be different? Who knows. At the end of the day we have a variety of different polls and awards for a variety of different people. And none of them should change YOUR thoughts on what you think is the best in the world.

--Robb

Since there's already a huge slant towards the US I wonder if they should just make the results "Best in the US". Rides like the Intamin Mega-Lites, Blue Fire and iSpeed didn't even crack the top 50 (which I know some folks on here would take to task).

...Or at least have a separate International portion of the Golden ticket awards, since the regular awards are skewed toward the US.

How is Top Thrill Dragster 10th and Kingda Ka 27th?

Because it's a better ride. Anyway, does it really matter? ...No, not really.

^SFFT usually wins best show and BizarROS and MF will switch places every once in a while.

I guess they weren't happy with the Bizarro makeover.

All kidding aside, I never understood why some people take this so serious.

How do you get a ballot for the GTA? I'm as guilty as the rest of us of bashing the GTA, but I've never bothered to try to get a ballot.

Be an Amusement Today subscriber?

While I'm bummed about Intimidator 305, I only really question one thing- how is Aska at Nara Dreamland, which closed in 2006, still ranking as the 34th best wooden roller coaster?

It's just THAT good.

I'm also kind of surprised that Intimidator 305 got snubbed, but it is only its first year, and I predict it'll be in the top 10 of next year's list. However, I still can't believe that El Toro was beaten out again in the Top 10 Wood category; either I can just hope for next year, or I need to head out to Indiana and check out The Voyage for myself. Either way, kudos to all of the winners!