TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Attendance

I seem to remember seeing a park attendance listing that went beyond just the Top 20. It would come in very helpful for a school project I am working on - which once I have it going, I plan to update on this site weekly. Does anyone know where I can find attendance figures for more than just the Top 20?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but I HAD to chuckle when I saw that NONE of the Six Flags parks made it into the 'individual park attendance' until you got to 'Mexico-South America'.

I guess...Parents figure Six Flags is straying from the "Family Friendly' department?

Did you expect them to? No Cedar Fair parks were in it either. Of course the top ten would be ruled by Disney and Universal.

I'm sorry, but I HAD to chuckle when I saw that NONE of the Six Flags parks made it into the 'individual park attendance' until you got to 'Mexico-South America'.

I guess...Parents figure Six Flags is straying from the "Family Friendly' department?

Did you expect them to? No Cedar Fair parks were in it either. Of course the top ten would be ruled by Disney and Universal.

Canada's Wonderland. Funny... more visits to CW than CP.. yet wonderland doesnt have hotels, a big water park.. interesting

Be warned! I believe the cliche I'm looking for to describe these attendance figures is that these "have to be taken with a grain of salt" - most of the numbers are purely estimates. Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Disney and pretty much every other park doesn't release an official number on a park-by-park basis. The only park I know off the top of my head that releases and exact attendance figure has been Holiday World (kudos to them, since they are obviously very proud of their achievements and have every reason to be proud!). Occasionally, individual park numbers come out randomly, but again, unless its the park publicly announcing it, I'd be skeptical. The big chains only announce attendance figures on a quarterly and annual basis across the chain.

Oh, and it was Amusement Business who used to release a much longer list of parks (top 50 in North America, and top 50 world wide) but they are no more. I'm sure that is what you are thinking of

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/2009%20Theme%20Index%20Final%20042710_for%20screen.pdf

Shows also how well the parks did in the previous year. This report also includes water parks.

Something intresting I found in this, too. Kings Island attracts more people then Cedar Point. Huh.

Cedar Point & King's Island are almost always right next to one another, although they alternate which one is on top.

I found this:

http://www.amusementbusiness.com/amusementbusiness/images/pdf/2003-top-50-north-america.pdf

Its 2003's listing; however it is usable considering I will being using 2000 Census Data (2010's Census won't be released until 2011), it works for my project. There are two issues with this Top 50 List however. For one, two Canadian Parks are listed and for another, two of the parks on this list are no longer around. I guess I will have to present it as the "Top 46 Parks?"

I will also have to take a look at the other 100 or so other small parks around the country to determine their approximate draw- nearly all of which will be below 1 million. Anyone want to help with that?

When I start pumping this stuff into my GIS Project, I will start to post images of exactly what it is I am doing.

• 5 months later...

First, sorry for un burying a dead thread. I couldn't find one for the 2010 attendance figures, though it may not be released yet.

Nevertheless, I have a somewhat weird question. Is there any figures on average daily attendance at parks? To explain, I'm looking for something that says on a weekly basis, X% visit parks on a Tuesday while Y% visit on a Saturday. I can speculate busy days at parks but I'm curious if there is actual data supporting this hypothesis.

Thanks for your help and sorry again!

Well in all fairness MOST of their parks are Seasonal parks and do not offer the same operating season as those year round parks. Cedar Point, Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland all draw between 2.9mill-3.2mill a year which is impressive when compared to a park like Universal Studios or Busch Gardens Tampa that only does slightly more than that and they operate ALL year. If you were to compare these parks on a seasonal basis I'm sure they would equal out with possibly a slight advantage to the mainly seasonal parks.

First, sorry for un burying a dead thread. I couldn't find one for the 2010 attendance figures, though it may not be released yet.

Nevertheless, I have a somewhat weird question. Is there any figures on average daily attendance at parks? To explain, I'm looking for something that says on a weekly basis, X% visit parks on a Tuesday while Y% visit on a Saturday. I can speculate busy days at parks but I'm curious if there is actual data supporting this hypothesis.

Thanks for your help and sorry again!

I don't think you'll find one specific chart, but the parks internally all have this information.

At SFMM it changed drastically based on time of year and special events. For example, during the Summer oftentimes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays were more crowded than Friday's due to camp visits. A lot of times during the Fall, Sundays were busier than Saturdays due to Cheer Competitions.

Though I'm really disliking this marketing class I'm taking we learned something called cannibalization where if a new product is introduced what percentage of sales will the new product take away from the existing ones. That makes me think about Cedar Fair and what Kings Island is doing to Cedar Point. I understand they were monopolizing Ohio, but they have to be competing with themselves I think.

I'm sorry for going off-topic, but marketing is on my mind because I have it tonight.

I don't think that cannibalism is really best to describe the Ohio Cedar Fair parks. Cannibalism is when, say for instance, Snickers introduced some new crazy mint Snickers bar. Sales of the original Snickers may dip a bit with the new product introduction. However, the Cedar Fair situation is more like Snickers bought Reese's - a product that was already available to choose from on the candy aisle, so sales of neither shouldn't be affected too much if all other things remain the same.

The only cannibalism I can think of would be, say, a Platinum pass-holder (or whatever CF calls their all-parks pass) skipping a trip or two to their "home park" in favor of the other park. Even if a family from Columbus chooses KI instead of CP , the money still goes to the same parent company