TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever been on a coaster when it broke down (got stuck, etc.)?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an annual pass to Disneyland from 1978 through 1990. I also lived about 3 miles from the park. I have been stalled on probably all of the rides at least once. Space Mountain stopped and all the lights came on. We sat on a break for a while before the lights went out and the ride resumed. The emergency exit from Pirates of the Carribean shares the employee type break room area with the haunted mansion. We had to step out of our boat near the final "fire" scene. That was cool. The haunted mansion stops often so it's not really a big deal to think you are "Broke-Down" each time. I was stalled on the Skyway inside the Matterhorn. I also rode a ride a the Pomona Fair, ca. The ride is called the "Hurricane". We rode that ride early and then later that afternoon, the ride collapsed and slammed to a hault. I think only one person died, probably the one that was thrown across the midway head first into the side of a fun house wall. That was a strange feeling to see the ride all twisted and closed and all the activity in the area. I also rode the small wooden rollercoaster at LAGOON in Utah. I was in the front seat and as the train left the station I could tell that my lap bar was not locked. I raised the bar slightly and pushed it down thinking that it would lock, but it didn't. I had ridden the ride earlier and knew the track was mild. So I quickly made my decision to "keep my mouth shut". I planted my feet in the corners of the car and actually "rode" that ride. It was a blast and by standing up I could use my knees to absorbe the shocks. The second turn brings you slowly under the lift hill.... There is a large work platform. I seriously thought for a brief moment to jump out up there... but I didn't. I did however push the lap bar straight up before we entered the station..... You should have seen the look on the ride operators faces when I told them..."Wow, It really is scarier in the front seat. The ride promptly closed for the day... but what a great ride. The front seat of a woodie with the safety bar left open.....

let's see, I've been on a few rides where they broke down, but I never had to be EVAC.

One of them happend at SFNE on thunderbolt, Don (Jeezus Juice) and I were on the train and it dispatched and it started going up the lift but slowed down, came to a hault and we liked rolled back a bit but stopped by the anti-rollback. We waited 10-15 minutes for a ride mechanic to come by and take someones camera, then the ride was resumed.

At SFGAdv I was riding Kingda Ka with someone I met up with at the park, and our train did launch perfectly, no flaws, but when we came into the final segment of the brake run where the brake fins are retractable, they didn't retract. So we came to a crawl all the way to the switch track where we stopped and waited. Then the train was moved into the station and we were able to get out. I think with this one I actually Jinxed it for the people that were waiting behind us, we got to talking and I was joking around that "oh, it's going to break before you guys get on" and just so happend it did.

I use to work at Knotts back in the 70's. When Montezooma's Revenge was new the train was dispatching with the clutch all ready in gear. This caused the train reach top speed instantly. There was a ride operator for each car to insure all riders had their heads against the headrest BEFORE dispatching. Sometimes the excessive speed would cause the train to hit the end bumpers at the end of the track. "Boooom" You could hear it through out the park. The clutch system was replaced many times. The ride would be open a couple of days, then closed for a month. Open one day closed for 3 months....and so on until they got it right...

One of them happend at SFNE on thunderbolt, Don (Jeezus Juice) and I were on the train and it dispatched and it started going up the lift but slowed down, came to a hault and we liked rolled back a bit but stopped by the anti-rollback. We waited 10-15 minutes for a ride mechanic to come by and take someones camera, then the ride was resumed.

That happened to me on SRoS at SFNE before. Actually, I have been stuck on that thing many times, both in the break run and on the lift. Never an EVAC though... Also been stuck on second lift of Big Bad Wolf for like 20 mins...

I've been stuck on Flashback at SFMM right before we were about to enter the station again we came to a screeching halt. Then the ride op said "Screw it!". And everyone left; so I'm still stuck on it right now.

_six

That happened to me on SRoS at SFNE before. Actually, I have been stuck on that thing many times, both in the break run and on the lift. Never an EVAC though... Also been stuck on second lift of Big Bad Wolf for like 20 mins...

I have also been lift and end block stuck on SROS.

I got stuck on Logers Run at SFGAm when we were at the top of the lift when it is all turny. We were just about to go down the drop when BAM! we were lunged forward in our seats and we were stuck. The guy in the booth (there's not always a person in there) and he had to push our log so we could go down.

I have been next in line for S:ROS at SFA and it broke on the lift. Man, so close !

At SFA also, I got stuck on Iron Eagle, a sideways Top Spin type ride. It starts with a full frontflip, then it tilts you into a flying position and holds you for a second. Our ride (freind and I) had the 2nd go with people in 5 years, and we kept going past the flying position into an upside down position! We halted, and were stuck there for 5 mins and some change! After the 12TH MECHANIC got there they got us back up and they ended our ride It was my 1st ride on it too! But I've been on it 3 FULL times now!

Afterwards, we got 1 ticket to go through the exit of 1 ride and we used it to get a backseat ride on Superman!!!

I have three stories, one was cool, one was crappy, and the third completely terrifying.

Back in '00 I was riding The Beast at PKI after dark right about the time the park was closing, and I got stuck at the peak of the second lift. I was in the front car, 2nd row, and the car was level at the apex of the hill. About ten minutes later, we restarted and when we got back to the station, they had made everyone in line leave!

At Martin's Fantasy Island, I was on the Silver Comet, when the possibly Nazi ride op e-stopped the train on the lift to scream at a guy to remove his sunglasses. Wow.

The scary one was when the OTSR on Magic Mountain at Magic World just outside Naples, Italy (Top Fun Typhoon model) opened half way while I was on the lift. I got beat like a red-headed step child trying to stay in that train! The ops didn't care, and I rode again in a different seat. The ride still sucked.

Chris B

• 1 month later...

My wife and I were on the Corkscrew at Playland when it stopped on the lift hill. The ride op came up and told us one car hadn't been locked. They flipped the lock and we were on our way after about 5 minutes.

Freaked my daughter out a little bit, waiting with her auntie...

Got stuck on the MCB of Mean Streak about a year ago. While they talked to us via a worker who ran up with a radio they tried to get it fixed for about 20 minutes.

After that they walked us down the emergency steps and low and behold (at that time) sitting at the base of the MCB were the engines and tires to Dragster.

Ive gotten stuck plenty of other times but that one takes the cake. I even took a short video of it using a picture camera with video before the Op made it up to us.

When I rode Flight of Fear one time, we launched and went up into the first loop. When we were almost completely upside down, the train stopped and rolled back. It was fun! Then they turned the lights on in the bowl, and physically pushed us back into the station.

While this was an accident at PKD, the same exact thing happened on the same ride (Joker's Jinx), but that case was done intentionally. We were shooting the commercial, and I guess they wanted to save time, so they just launched us slow enough to roll back . We did that over and over. I skipped school that day to do the commercial shoot.

I got stuck on Haunted Mansion once. It was at DLR and we got stuck in the graveyard. The song that they play is really annoying.

That seems to happen to me everytime I go on that ride. Except last time we got stuck in front of Madame Leota and we heard her repeat her 'speech' at least 10 times. That got pretty annoying.

Sometime around late June or early July last year, I was on Talon at Dorney Park, and our train was about 3/4 the way up the hill and it just stopped. My friends found it hilarious that I fell asleep! I just fall asleep immediately when nothing's happening. I don't even feel tired. I just do.