TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever been on a coaster when it broke down (got stuck, etc.)?

mine don't ever ride on outta order ride but my mom's sis EVER

RIDE on like that stuff and that was TDL's Space Mtn then when

hittin' on the mid-brake the ride came to a halt in sudden so she

had to escape and takin' 20 mins to the exit in slight walk. "looks

Space Mtn's escape way's so narrow for footplaces and you can't

do that quick." she said. "was too scary coz i needed to grope in

the dark wiring the railings." i guess she was worn out after that

escape. i'm kinda worry when her talkin' on that stuff before i'm

gonna ride it. still now that mind been goin' on. oh hope i would not

get caught up like her. that's not good stuff 100% yeah.....

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once at Cedar Point Wildcat kept breaking down and we stuck on it three times (the longest time being 4 minutes) but everytime we got stuck they would give us these free passes to skip the line of any ride good only for that day. We used them to ride Millinium Force three times in a row that night and skip the hour wait.

Laura "I roode MF three times in 10 minutes" Huls

• 1 year later...

On Sunday, my sister and I rode California Screamin' with only a 30-minute wait. This ride was good since we got the train with good speakers. Anyway, at the end of the ride, we stopped on the brake zone before re-entering the station to get off. Meanwhile, the annoying "dun-dun-DUN" stall music was playing. After hearing the delay message for about the 6th time, I looked up and saw that the purple train had just E-stopped on another brake zone. The work lights come on and we were evacuated. it was pretty cool.

^That's funny, because that's a link to THIS thread...

My first time I was on a coaster when it was having problems was when I was on Storm Runner and we had an E-stop like right as the front of the train was pulling into the station. Then it happened again to me later that day, but this time it was just pulling out of the station. It was strange that it happened twice in one day, though. It was fun!

Call it lucky or extremely unlucky but after all the time I spend on roller coasters, there hasn't been one ride where the coaster broke down. Same with flats.

I've never been evacuated either. Its bullsh*t I say. I mean I'd like to atleast have been on ONE ride that stopped working properly in some form.

The odds must be astronomical.

Supreme Scream at KBF: It stalled at the top

Colossus at SFMM: Stalled on the break run

Superman at SFMM: We overshot the station on the way back and were stuck for about 10 minutes. They told us we could get a free ride. It launched and slowed down before the tower. While we only rolled back and forth a little, I found that pretty nerve racking.

While i've never been on an E-stop, i have seen Stealth at Thorpe Park actually E-stop mid launch. I didn't realise that intamin rockets could actually stop like that. Maybe it was just a miscatch or something.

As to getting stuck on rides i've got stuck on Air at Alton towers in the break run for about half an hour. It really started to strain my neck, always staring at the ground. I also got stuck on Samurai (Mondial Top Scan) at Thorpe Park after the ride had finished. It sort of just tried to move into the zero position but just kept twisting back and forth for about ten minutes.

The funniest thing i've seen was a thunderstorm at Thorpe Park. The rain was so heavy that nearly every ride E-stopped. Stealth e-stopped, Colosuss e-stopped, Nemesis Inferno e-stopped. The only coaster to remain open was X:\WTF. Loads of the flats stopped as well

Think the most memorable evac I've had was on Valhalla (PBB) before the last big drop - quite cool. We then got to bypass the hour long queue to go on again. Bonus! (It was mid-summer).

The worst coaster issue I've seen was at my local park where one of the cars on its Reverchon Crazy Mouse came down the big drop in the middle of the ride, and failed to make it all the way up the next incline. The car was stuck in the lowest point of the ride between the drop and incline. One of the wheels had basically ripped apart Suffice to say it didn't open again that day.

I've got stuck twice.

Once was on Raptor, which was only like 5 seconds. We were just starting our lift and it "hiccuped." It came to complete stop and it yanked us up. I don't think this is considered as "stuck"... just a "hiccup." lol!

Then again we got stopped on the lifthill on SROS at Darien Lake. It was at very end of the day during a fight fest and the park was very dead. Ride staff sent us around the circuit four times non-stop without stopping in the station! The ride ops purposefully stopped us on the lift hill and all of the staff looked up and laughed at us, pretending to leave for home.

Well, in both situation, we weren't exactly stuck, but hey we stopped.

Ive only gotten stuck myself twice,

Once on hurler at carowinds (i think it was 2 years ago) we just stopped halfway up the lifthill for a couple of minutes.

And once of borg, we stopped in the break run for 15-20 minutes because the other train was having issues/wouldnt lower. The ride ops had to come up and tell us to hold our heads up to slow headrush.... that was fun

Ive seen:

Top Gun at carowinds, during scarowinds some time ago, the train pulled out of the station, and something must have pulled a proxy switch, the floor raised with both trains stuck outside the station for a good 20-30 minutes.

Again probably a proxy switch, the red train on TG stopped at the first set of brakes.

The CDride cameras on TG, one of them came off of its mount, so it was hanging by the safety wire, of course the person who deals with any problems pertaining to the cameras had just gone on his break, so we had the yellow train just up the lift enough to get the red train unloaded.

Ive seen dragster rollback about 3 or 4 times during the 03 season.

For one season back in 1983 I worked the Parking lot at Worlds of Fun. Towards the end of the season I got to be on the ride tester team. We would show up eary in the morning and my job was to test the Orient Express everyday. Some days that would be a quick spin on the beast maybe twice. Other times it would be 10 or 15 spins. I remember one time we were around 10 feet from the to of the lift hill and it got stuck. We were up there over 1 hour until they evacuated us. It wasn't the best expirence due to the rain storm that started up around 40 minutes into the test. I just remember to people on the stairwell being told they had to get down and we were left up there waiting for the storm to pass. I think they were afraid of lightnig hitting those people. We felt like sitting ducks! Boy what a crappy day, they actually sent us home after the whole mess.

Two weeks ago on big thunder mountain at WDW, after the parade they put the 5th train on for about 30 minutes and took it off, but the idiot ride ops forgot to reset the computer to run 4 trains, so i get in expecting the normal ride, and guess what. We got stuck on the second lift for 45 minutes because the computer thought a train derailed! And i forgot to mention it was 42 degrees outside and I had shorts and a tee-shirt on!

While i've never been on an E-stop, i have seen Stealth at Thorpe Park actually E-stop mid launch. I didn't realise that intamin rockets could actually stop like that. Maybe it was just a miscatch or something.

As to getting stuck on rides i've got stuck on Air at Alton towers in the break run for about half an hour. It really started to strain my neck, always staring at the ground. I also got stuck on Samurai (Mondial Top Scan) at Thorpe Park after the ride had finished. It sort of just tried to move into the zero position but just kept twisting back and forth for about ten minutes.

The funniest thing i've seen was a thunderstorm at Thorpe Park. The rain was so heavy that nearly every ride E-stopped. Stealth e-stopped, Colosuss e-stopped, Nemesis Inferno e-stopped. The only coaster to remain open was X:\WTF. Loads of the flats stopped as well

Heh, scary thing was... I was there that day.

We were on Vortex, being pounded into oblivion by the drizzle and we looked down at our feet. Over the lake we saw a fork of lightning, and I must say, twisting lightning is a once-in a lifetime experience...

I recently had my first coaster breakdown on California Screamin' on Sunday. We were sitting on the brake run before the station and the speakers were playing that annoying "dun-dun-DUN" music before I looked up and saw another train E-stopped on a brake run. Since we were already done with the ride, we pretty much got a FASTPASS for another free ride! It was cool!